Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Stepping Stone to FIRE
Old 02-18-2006, 10:49 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Stepping Stone to FIRE

I've been away from this board for the last few months since work was just about as stressful as it could be ...my manager called it 'tightening the thumb screws' - about 5 separate tasks where each is easily a full time job... the irony is that on my last 2 years performance appraisals where they need to define your 'improvements' - I get dinged for not saying no to new tasks. But - nobody ever asks ... I usually just get an email that states "so and so left so your responsible for this new task" and 'here's all the info you need to do it'* in one email. Never an opportunity to say 'no more'... until now.

I'm at the right place at the right time - I met (exceeded) my FIRE goals a few months back and had that in my back pocket. When the last task came last week on top of all the others which included something I abhor 'customer political sensitive* presentation' as a program manager of a program that doesn't exist (just one of my many tasks) - I had to show my hand. I think I gained enough wisdom from this board to not burn my bridges - so after a week of very little sleep and the burning desire to give my 2 weeks notice, I gave them a better notice friday afternoon* (2/17/06), I'll take my 2 months vacation in 3 weeks (saved up over the last 2 years) and add another 1 month leave of absence for the spring season off and see them in June* :P .

This is perhaps the best transition for me into FIRE ... let's see how it goes. I have a lot of living to catch up on. This transition time will allow me to do all my doctor's/dentists check-ups and use my other benefits. In any case, my next three weeks I am short and the stress is over - am I in heaven.

dimwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Stepping Stone to FIRE
Old 02-18-2006, 10:53 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimwit
This transition time will allow me to do all my doctor's/dentists check-ups and use my other benefits.
Congratulations, but it's a shame to have to waste valuable vacation days sitting in a doctor's office!

Is there a way to do all those medical visits while you're "at work"? That'll certainly give a more accurate presentation of the state of your health...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:58 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Its always a good idea to part ways with employers who use torture device analogies when describing your work load.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 11:56 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Congratulations, but it's a shame to have to waste valuable vacation days sitting in a doctor's office!

Is there a way to do all those medical visits while you're "at work"?* That'll certainly give a more accurate presentation of the state of your health...
Well, I guess that advice excludes you from ever having to experience the "indignities" of having to "meet payroll". Must be a generational thing.

Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:19 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

I actually did get most of my doctor/dentist stuff done when I hit my FIRE goals starting with minor surgery with a couple weeks off from work, got my blood test results (HDL=67, LDL=103) and general check-up, eye health checked out, dental exam/cleaning, knees checked out, and skin cancer screening - just still wanted to get a new set of glasses and maybe some dental bridgework done.

Getting a clean bill of health is no gaurantee of anything - but it sure does add to the confidence of FIRE.

By the way - what's the general policy of notice for vacation? My company requires 2 weeks (I'm giving 3) but there appears to be no conditions, such as what happens if you take the vacation at a critical time (such as a major review), can you get canned for that? ...not that I'm doing that.
dimwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 08:49 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
Well, I guess that advice excludes you from ever having to experience the "indignities" of having to "meet payroll". Must be a generational thing.
More like a "never had a real job thing"...

Come to think of it, the one & only "real" job I had before I joined the Navy was golf course starter & groundskeeper.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:16 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimwit
By the way - what's the general policy of notice for vacation? My company requires 2 weeks (I'm giving 3) but there appears to be no conditions, such as what happens if you take the vacation at a critical time (such as a major review), can you get canned for that? ...not that I'm doing that.
I think it depends on the company .. where I work, I have to put in a request for the time I want. My department has limits on the number of folks who can be off at a time. Where my DH works, vacations aren't allowed at certain times....