Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-15-2008, 08:13 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Sorry to hear that!! Glad everyone is OK.

Sounds like you will still have enough left over for at least a little fun!
Yeah, like saving it to pay increased insurance premiums for three years.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2008, 08:58 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Yeah, like saving it to pay increased insurance premiums for three years.
Now THERE's a party in the making (not!) Ugh.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:30 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to hear about the accident, not the way you intended to use that money.

Ours was just posted. My husband is considering doing his part to stimulate the economy.. lusting for a laptop. When I started pointing out to him where he might look he slowed me down with a.. "Ah, I was just thinking about it."
Old 05-18-2008, 07:54 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My economic masturbation payment was direct-deposited to my account on May 16th. Hooray! I'm rich! I'm rich! Of course, some future American as yet unborn will suffer a measurably lower standard of living as they work long and hard to repay this debt, but who cares? Screw 'em! "F the Future; Live Well Today" - that's my motto! I'm going to do my patriotic duty and rush out to Walmart to buy a bunch of made-in-China crap I neither want nor need. If we all get together and masturbate collectively in the government-prescribed manner, we can stimulate the economy long enough to justify electing a new crop of politicians in November who prefer short-term immediately gratifying economic fixes over long-term good economic health.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:16 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

You got something against masturbation?

Ok, my new Nikon was made in China, but the new Weber grill is made in the US of A!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:59 PM   #66

Discovered why my payment is "late". I had assumed that paying my taxes via direct debit would allow them to use direct deposit for my stimulus.

That isn't true. They have to mail me a check, which puts me out a few weeks.

Glad to figure out my stimulus isn't just missing :>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
According to the payment schedule, I should have received my deposit by Friday, but I haven't.

Is anyone else waiting on a late deposit?
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:01 AM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Interesting... I have not received my stimulus check yet either. But I did get the notice saying I was only to get $450 instead of the standard $600. Why Because I am too rich! So apparently it is more important for lower income people to stimulate the economy than weathier folks. Strange, I would have thought that people with less money would be willing to part with it less than people who can probably afford to spend that money on something frivoless.
armor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

but many of the poor are that way because they spend, spend, spend instead of save and invest...
so to stimulate the economy you have to give it to the folks that will give it back
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:05 PM   #69

Quote:
Discovered why my payment is "late". I had assumed that paying my taxes via direct debit would allow them to use direct deposit for my stimulus.

That isn't true. They have to mail me a check, which puts me out a few weeks.

Glad to figure out my stimulus isn't just missing :>
I'm in the same boat as you Hamlet. If you use direct debit to pay taxes, why isn't the IRS using the same info to direct deposit the stimulus check? Still waiting for my stimulus check.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Shouldn't the news media have stories on the early results of the stimulus checks by now? At least some polls on how/whether they have been spent.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:49 PM   #71

How many Ayn Rand books can you really buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by armor99 View Post
Interesting... I have not received my stimulus check yet either. But I did get the notice saying I was only to get $450 instead of the standard $600. Why Because I am too rich! So apparently it is more important for lower income people to stimulate the economy than weathier folks. Strange, I would have thought that people with less money would be willing to part with it less than people who can probably afford to spend that money on something frivoless.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:54 PM   #72

Quote:
How many Ayn Rand books can you really buy?
What exactly is your major malfunction Hamlet?.... I do not think that statement has anything to do with that. If you want to contribute something then do so.... otherwise kindly remain silent....
armor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:29 PM   #73

It was a joke, armor. I didn't mean to offend.

Quote:
What exactly is your major malfunction Hamlet?.... I do not think that statement has anything to do with that. If you want to contribute something then do so.... otherwise kindly remain silent....
Old 05-23-2008, 11:08 AM   #74

Quote:
My thoughts exactly as I am getting 'zip' (bad timing on my part .. shoulda deferred income to this year, if I had known). I would have spent some on wine, women, and gambling ... and then would have blown the rest.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:19 AM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
My thoughts exactly as I am getting 'zip' (bad timing on my part .. shoulda deferred income to this year, if I had known).
If my understanding is correct, you could time your 2008 income so you would receive the entire benefit. You would get this benefit when you file you 08 return in 09.The current payment is an estimate of the amount you will receive.
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My thoughts exactly as I am getting 'zip' (bad timing on my part .. shoulda deferred income to this year, if I had known).
That's another aggravating thing about taxes. They change the rules in the middle of (or in this case AFTER) the game.

Heck, I already know I can't win - but please, tell me the rules before the game starts, and then stick to 'em. At least I can try to plan for playing the 'game', since I can't opt out. And I don't really want to opt out, I recognize I need to pay taxes, just don't make it a convoluted mess.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:28 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
That's another aggravating thing about taxes. They change the rules in the middle of (or in this case AFTER) the game.

Heck, I already know I can't win - but please, tell me the rules before the game starts, and then stick to 'em. At least I can try to plan for playing the 'game', since I can't opt out. And I don't really want to opt out, I recognize I need to pay taxes, just don't make it a convoluted mess.

-ERD50
WHAT? and give you a chance to actually plan things out? FAT CHANCE
Old 05-23-2008, 11:30 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
If my understanding is correct, you could time your 2008 income so you would receive the entire benefit. You would get this benefit when you file you 08 return in 09.The current payment is an estimate of the amount you will receive.
? Don't understand this. So I still have a chance to get some of this free money? My understanding was that this is calculated on your 2007 income levels. Pointers please.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:37 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
? Don't understand this. So I still have a chance to get some of this free money? My understanding was that this is calculated on your 2007 income levels. Pointers please.
Impact on 2008 Tax Returns:

The stimulus rebates will be calculated by the IRS using information on the 2007 tax returns. If taxpayers were entitled to a larger rebate based on their 2008 income, those taxpayers will be able to claim a tax credit for the additional amount. Taxpayers won't have to pay back the rebate, however, if using their 2008 income would result in a lower rebate amount.
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:19 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Thanks DaveJ. Now that you mention it, I guess I did hear this described as a 'pre-bate' on 2008 taxes.

So, what are the rules for 2008? I don't suppose they have been set, after all, it's only May 2008.....

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote