Stop Waiting! A Rant

I'm kinda surprised with the talk of becoming aware of one's mortality slapping them in the face that no one brought up any sort of after life. Religion or not, when faced with the realization that the end is a whole lot closer than the beginning of one's life, it does beg the question; is there anything AFTER death?

Taxes?

I'm kinda surprised with the talk of becoming aware of one's mortality slapping them in the face that no one brought up any sort of after life. Religion or not, when faced with the realization that the end is a whole lot closer than the beginning of one's life, it does beg the question; is there anything AFTER death?

Absolutely! And it's almost identical to what was before your birth. :LOL:

Actually not for me. I’m curiously uncurious about it.

Actually not for me. I’m curiously uncurious about it.

I try not to waste my time on questions I cannot answer.

I don't pretend to be sure about magical places we might go after we die, and I don't pretend to be sure that such places don't exist.

Why are people so unable to utter the simple words "I don't know"?

Cremation, burial, or being eaten by crows and coyotes?

Nemo, You forgot the luncheon for survivors.

My parents are in their early 70's now, and retired ~5 years ago. In those 5 years they took one vacation to the beach for a week, and have spent the rest of their retirement at home, or in hospitals, etc due to medical issues. As an insulin dependent diabetic, I'm acutely aware that medical complications are likely in my older years as well, so I'm firm in my commitment to retiring while I'm still in my 40's and living my life as I want to live it, without the burden of commuting and going to work for another 20+ years instead of enjoying the things in this world that bring me joy for all those hours.

Good or bad markets, I'm retiring before I hit 50 and I'll adjust my standard of living downward some if necessary to make it happen. I can be happy with a few more meals of chicken instead of steak if need be to ensure I have that time to go do the things in life I'd like to do, but currently need to work with the time I'd be doing them.

I don't pretend to be sure about magical places we might go after we die, and I don't pretend to be sure that such places don't exist.
"Be strong, and you will be renewed".

Last edited:
I'm with you on this one. My mom was diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia this past spring - typical lifespan after diagnosis is 5 - 7 years. When I hear people talk about how they want to work an extra 5 years and have more money to spend I kind of want to scream*. Time is really the most precious of resources, and sitting and talking with my mom costs nothing.

The mother of a friend of mine had Lewy body dementia. My own mother had Alzheimer’s. My father (life-long smoker) died of brain cancer at 62. Too many people I have known in recent years all thought they had more time...

Back
Top Bottom