Join Early Retirement Today

Student Loan Debt
Old 07-27-2005, 09:47 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Student Loan Debt

Hi,
I have been a long time lurker. I am heading back to school to work on an MBA on a part time basis while working full time. I am eligible to get an Unsubsadized Federal Loan in the amount of $18,500 for this school year. Actual school costs will be around $8,000 of which my company will pay $5,000. Does it make sense to take out the full amount of the federal loan and pay off other debt. I do not have any credit card debt. I have a car loan in the amount of $8,500 at 6.25%. I also have a second mortgage which is variable rate and is currently at 7.5%. Thank you for any advice.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Student Loan Debt
Old 07-28-2005, 07:19 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

They can be used for living and supporting yourself and family while you are in school. If you need a new car to get you through school, you're allowed to buy it. I've never read anything in my loan paperwork limiting how I spent the money.

Old 07-28-2005, 09:12 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

You bet. Student loan interest is tax deductible, so the effective rate is quite low. Given current rates, it wouldn't be such a horrible to take out the loan, and put the excess money into a CD at a higher rate than that of the loan. Added to this are the VERY flexible repayment plans, and the ability to defer payments if you become unemployed, etc. The best deals are reserved for doctors, nurses, and teachers who may be eligible to have their debt forgiven under certain circumstances
Old 07-28-2005, 10:41 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Stafford loans have a variable interest rate that is capped at 8 1/4% and changes every year on July 1.* The interest rate is determined by the auction of T-bills on the last day of May.* So when Alan Greenspan raises interest rates, that really impacts the Stafford loan.* Last year, the interest rate was just under 3%.* This past July 1st, the rate rose almost 2 points.* Ouch!

You can only lock in the interest rate on the Stafford loan by consolidating, which most people do once they leave school (although the law was just reinterpreted to allow for in-school consolidation).

From what you posted, it doesn't sound like much of a savings for you to pay off your car loan.* It might be worth it to pay off the second mortgage with Stafford $$ and do an in school consolidation to lock into the interest rate.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 07-28-2005, 11:25 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

One thing to note, although it probably doesn't change the decision much. I believe these kinds of loans have an upfront fee built in such that you borrow, say, $8,000 and they only give you loan proceeds of $7,950. I read somewhere that this initial fee can be up to 3% of the initial loan balance. But all the loan programs are different, so I'd suggest talking with the financial aid office at your school to find out the details of your particular loan.

malakito
Old 07-28-2005, 11:06 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

What are conditions in which loans for say Med Students are forgiven?

Thanks!

TD
Old 07-29-2005, 02:14 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tommy--I believe those are Perkins loans. I thought I read somewhere the Gov't wasn't going to do those any longer.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Dolitte

Thanks!

TD
An aside. Most any loan can be wholly or partially forgiven.
The debtor just needs to know (or figure out) how to do it.

JG
Old 07-29-2005, 07:37 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
An aside. Most any loan can be wholly or partially forgiven.
The debtor just needs to know (or figure out) how to do it.

JG
JG, a now-deceased friend often passed on your sage advice. No matter what the subject (getting rich, repairing a car, cold fusion), his comment was "Anyone can do it once they figure out how".

I think his point was...pointless.

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 07:47 AM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Yep, death is about the only Stafford loan cancellation program anymore... Oh, and in certain circumstances, teaching.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:14 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

For what it is worth, there is no statute of limitations on the government collecting student loan debt.

If you default, the government doesn't have to sue to take tax refunds and can even garnish a portion of your pay without suing you.

Also, it is next to impossible to eliminate student loan debt by filing bankruptcy.

Trying to settle up on student loan debt for less than the whole amount due is about impossible these days.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 08:27 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wayyyyy back when (late 80's) got an ear full from an engineer I had to work with briefly(summer month's) who had to go teach (college level) as a condition of his Phd - he wanted to duck the obligation any way he could to make 'the big bucks' in industry. I think 'a loan' AND a green card were involved in the mix. Disappeared by winter - so I guess 'he discovered the joy of teaching.'
Old 07-29-2005, 09:12 AM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
Tommy--I believe those are Perkins loans.* I thought I read somewhere the Gov't wasn't going to do those any longer.
My girlfriend just received her financial aid package for this next year- perkins were part of the mix, so at least for the 05-06 school year, they're still on the government cheese menu.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:41 AM   #14

We are in the process of getting my wife's [teacher] loan forgiven. Her loan's pretty small, about 1800, but I believe the outstanding loan amount is not a factor. The requirements to apply for the loan to be forgiven where something like this:

-- Be a "highly qualified" teacher (course requirements above being a "standard" teacher)
-- Teach for over 5 years in a low-income disadvantaged school district
-- The loan must be have been originated during a certain time
-- The loan must be a Stafford loan

Unfortunately, we've already paid down some of the loan before we became aware of this. Her school district and the loan servicing agency either didn't know or didn't publicize this. We found about it through an university where she was considering enrolling for her Masters.

Old 07-29-2005, 01:52 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot
-- Be a "highly qualified" teacher (course requirements above being a "standard" teacher)
-- Teach for over 5 years in a low-income disadvantaged school district
Oh, you'll pay for the loan. It just won't be in dollars!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Oh, you'll pay for the loan. It just won't be in dollars!
She loves teaching 1st grade in a low-income district despite all the problems that it seems to bring. She feels the kids appreciate her more and that her skills are needed more in a low-income district. She's taught there 6 years so far.

The "highly qualified" teacher designation is a complete joke. Some of her co-workers had to jump through all kinds of ridiculuous hoops just to get the title. This might be a function of her horribly inept district though.

Old 08-01-2005, 01:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Dolitte

Thanks!

TD
[/quote
Join the military.
Work in certain high need areas for a set number of years.
Possibly with Public Health Dept.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:06 PM   #18

Quote:
She loves teaching 1st grade in a low-income district despite all the problems that it seems to bring. She feels the kids appreciate her more and that her skills are needed more in a low-income district. She's taught there 6 years so far.
As long as she recognizes its a form of charity. I think that's what Nords is saying. But if she'd teach there anyway, might as well take this deal.