Join Early Retirement Today

Stupid work lunches
Old 06-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Stupid work lunches

This doesn't happen too often (thankfully) - at work sometimes someone from another dep't that we deal with will invite us out to a paid lunch. Now you would think that this is great, but I hate it with a passion. It's always the same premise - "let's go out for a nice lunch", but within 5 minutes it's all about work. DO NOT take up my 1 hour lunch with a working lunch...if you want to talk to me about work, then set up a meeting, but don't do it over a "friendly" lunch. Of course all these lunches end up creating more work for our department as they always have "little" requests or "favors".

19 years to FIRE..........
accountingsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Could have been worse. Could have been 3 hours worth of dinner. Try keeping your mind focused after a 9-hour day + a 3 hour dinner in which wine flowed freely. This is why when Saluki9 expressed some admiration for his investment banking friends' trips aboard a G5 and stays at the Four Seasons, I piped in and said, yeah, no thanks, or thanks, but 3 times would be enough so that I can have some cool stories to tell my friends.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:13 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"stupid work" is redundant...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

If lunch was a working lunch, then go home early. I like the free food and the camaraderie of my colleagues at these lunches. If you don't like the people you are working with, get the hell out. Now.

Also if work poisons you, don't poison us by telling us about it. Please.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:37 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
If lunch was a working lunch, then go home early. I like the free food and the camaraderie of my colleagues at these lunches. If you don't like the people you are working with, get the hell out. Now.

Also if work poisons you, don't poison us by telling us about it. Please.
LOL...if you ever worked in a corporate environment at more than a junior position, you'd know that telling your boss you are leaving early because of a working lunch would get you fired in 5 seconds flat.

Also...why do you think people post here? It's not b/c they love their jobs.
accountingsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:36 PM   #6

I really do not like people keep schedule a meeting from 11 to to 1. When you get out of the meeting, the cafeteria closes. It would be nice if food is provided.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:44 AM   #7

I used to bill w*rking meals (breakfast/lunch/dinner) back to the customer. Beats sitting in my office!
Old 06-04-2007, 07:23 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Heh, at least you get away for lunch every day for an hour. I've had about 1 lunch hour a year in my current job.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:59 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountingsucks View Post
LOL...if you ever worked in a corporate environment at more than a junior position, you'd know that telling your boss you are leaving early because of a working lunch would get you fired in 5 seconds flat.
I can't speak for all corporate environments, but not necessarily. I used to think so too, but I've been getting burned out lately & after one of those kinds of affairs, I went to the gym for an hour (my gym is right next door, & I usually go there for lunch, but couldn't, due to the working-lunch). I flat-out told my boss I was going for an hour, because of the working lunch. She wasn't exactly thrilled, but she didn't say 'no' either.

I think that a lot of times, people get too timid & let themselves get exploited, which leads to becoming even more timid & getting more exploited.

Obviously, it depends on the field. If workers are a dime a dozen, & are easy to replace, then it's a lot easier to force everyone to go through stupid crap.

But, if you're a good worker, then you should be able to push back when crap like that comes up, at least some of the time.
Celany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountingsucks View Post

Also...why do you think people post here? It's not b/c they love their jobs.

Hey, In love my job and I post here.

Sure there are times you have to go to lunches and dinners that you don't want to. That's part of life. That being said, my grandfather's would look at my work "problems" and laugh at me compared to what they had to deal with in their time.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:34 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
I used to bill w*rking meals (breakfast/lunch/dinner) back to the customer. Beats sitting in my office!
You used to bill the actual cost of the food (as opposed to the time) to the customer if you decided to meet over your lunch hour?

And that's OK?

I must be old-fashioned...

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
You used to bill the actual cost of the food (as opposed to the time) to the customer if you decided to meet over your lunch hour?

And that's OK?

I must be old-fashioned...
People bill travel expenses all the time. Most of those include food too.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:28 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
People bill travel expenses all the time. Most of those include food too.
Where does travel come in here? Sounds like they were just hanging around the office, meeting through the lunch hour, and having lunch on the customer's tab. Hence "Beats sitting in my office!"

Food expenses during out of town travel, sure; but doesn't sound that way to me here.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:09 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I never billed meals, even meals during travel, to a client. I always thought that was unseemly and should be part of overhead.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:54 AM   #15

Quote:

You used to bill the actual cost of the food (as opposed to the time)
Was refering to the time ... but since most of these "meetings" required travel, the food would be paid via the travel perdium (indirectly billed to the customer).

Any inter-office lunch "meeting" would be taken out of hide (food and time).
Old 06-15-2007, 08:22 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

A number of years ago during the course of our year end audit, I was invited out to lunch by the audit manager of the large international accounting firm conducting the audit. He picked up the tab, or so I thought. He actually billed the meal back to the company as a part of their out of pocket expenses. I guess there is no free lunch after all.
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 02:50 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I am frequently expected to attend meetings over lunchtime. In our organization we are not allowed to bill for catering unless it is "outside workikng hours", ie. prior to 0800 or after 1700. So usually this means a missed meal. Personally, I do not think it fair to expect people to routinely forgo meal breaks in the name of work. Employees have won lawsuits about this. Having to be up all night looking after patients and working through the next day isn't fair, or safe, either. But life is not always fair!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 03:21 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
But life is not always fair!
I always enjoyed trying to sit down to a good hearty meal just before the general alarm went off. Or learning that I'd converted from a three-section watchbill to port & stbd while we raced to the MEDEVAC site.

But if employers are trying to find non-cash methods of retaining their highly valued employees, the lunchtime meeting sends (at best) a mixed signal. Presumably these higher managers got to their positions by dint of their advanced time-management skills, including being able to forecast the need for a meeting and to determine a less-inconvenient time to have it. Loyalty & respect are two-way streets...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:52 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
But if employers are trying to find non-cash methods of retaining their highly valued employees, the lunchtime meeting sends (at best) a mixed signal. Presumably these higher managers got to their positions by dint of their advanced time-management skills, including being able to forecast the need for a meeting and to determine a less-inconvenient time to have it. Loyalty & respect are two-way streets...
I think it's going to depend on the employees, manager, how much people enjoy chatting about their job, etc.

I'm a manager of a software development team, and I know everyone is always enthusiastic when I have extra cash available for a lunch.
  • People like free food
  • We usually go to more expensive places than most people eat for lunch (IE, nicer pizza joint such as Lou Malnati's or CPK rather than cheap eats)
  • While you might not like coding on a deadline, chatting about future development ideas people have is fun. We got into the profession usually because we do like coding.
  • Rarely do meeting lunches consist of 100% business. People tend to get side tracked and chat about whatever.
  • We like each other on our team, so hanging out isn't painful.
Anyway, I think it depends on a lot of things. If someone just wants to use the lunch hour to get a meeting in where they couldn't fit it in otherwise, then it may be rude. If it's someone trying to treat their team and get a nice long informal meeting out of it, it can be a good break in a day.
HobbyDave is offline   Reply With Quote