Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-14-2008, 02:22 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I remember only too well. Only I used to start feeling lousy
Sunday AM. Man, am I glad that's over with.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2008, 02:36 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's actually a little worse for me. I start feeling the dread on Sunday morning unless I have something planned during the day then it feels ok. Sunday evening sometimes feels like I'm waiting for my execution the next morning! The funny part is that my job isn't too bad. It can be high stress at times, but most of the times it isn't too bad. I have a couple of toxic coworkers but also have some that I really enjoy working with.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #23

The first Monday I didn't dread was the first Monday after I retired. And now I have trouble remembering what day of the week it is.

Hang in there.. maybe you can make some changes so you can ER sooner?
Old 07-14-2008, 02:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
Anybody else get the dread feeling Sunday night?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Now that Sunday night is over, can we trot out the ER version of the Sunday night blues?

"Thank God it's Monday!"
So yesterday was Sunday? I guess that explains why there were so dang many people out at the normally unused state park just outside of town! And if yesterday was Sunday, then this is Monday......OK, I've got my bearings again! Of course, I'll probably lose them in the next day or two, and I'll be back to having absolutely no clue what day it is.

I guess I could get one those "Day Clocks" to keep me up to date, but if I don't know what day it is it really doesn't matter 'cause I really don't care!

The only Sunday night blues around my house are on Sirius satellite radio channel 74......but I prefer the Jazz Cafe (ch 71) and Pure Jazz (ch 72).

In ER, every day is a GREAT day!

But to answer the OP seriously.....yeah, back in my previous life (the one where I was employed) I certainly didn't relish going back to work on Mondays. It was actually worse for the first 15 years or so (different jerk in charge boss back then and worse job classification) than it was for the last 15 (better bosses (mostly) and much better job class...and higher pay).
Old 07-14-2008, 02:56 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Man, I don't think all these "yeah I remember how mad Sunday night was" and "sure glad I'm retired" and "only 12 Sundays left" are making Laurence feel a whole lot better .

Laurence, you are too young to let this kind of stuff ruin you life. Sounds like a tough time at work these days for you.

One day at a time, focus on the tasks at hand, emotionally distance yourself a bit from the severe idiots, and plow ahead. It's like the market, cyclical. Spend a little extra time with your hobbies or family, take an early vacation whatever. But letting it get to you too much for the next 20 years will eat you alive. If you feel that happening, may be time for a discrete hunt for a new job.

Most of us have been through it, and it does wax and wane, so hang in.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:57 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Man, I don't think all these "yeah I remember how mad Sunday night was" and "sure glad I'm retired" and "only 12 Sundays left" are making Laurence feel a whole lot better .

Laurence, you are too young to let this kind of stuff ruin you life. Sounds like a tough time at work these days for you.

One day at a time, focus on the tasks at hand, emotionally distance yourself a bit from the severe idiots, and plow ahead. It's like the market, cyclical. Spend a little extra time with your hobbies or family, take an early vacation whatever. But letting it get to you too much for the next 20 years will eat you alive. If you feel that happening, may be time for a discrete hunt for a new job.

Most of us have been through it, and it does wax and wane, so hang in.
I definitely need to, my diverticulitous seems to be acting up...
Old 07-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I can relate! Sunday builds to the “got to get to bed” time….”hope I will sleep” time to D@mn it, can’t sleep. The end is “get up and pull ones self up by the bootstraps and plod into the work week” time. The only good part is knowing that my weekly golf game is coming up as well as the next weekend! Things seem to improve quickly though as Monday progresses. I hope that is the case for you also!

Now, about that diverticulitus…….I don’t think it is related.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:29 PM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
I can relate! Sunday builds to the “got to get to bed” time….”hope I will sleep” time to D@mn it, can’t sleep. The end is “get up and pull ones self up by the bootstraps and plod into the work week” time. The only good part is knowing that my weekly golf game is coming up as well as the next weekend! Things seem to improve quickly though as Monday progresses. I hope that is the case for you also!
That is so true! I have noticed that my mood improves steadily as the week progresses, and by Thursday I am really excited about the upcoming weekend and the fun we have planned.

So really, it's all downhill from here.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:12 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Took me about 2 months to get past Sunday PM Downer.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:15 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep I love mondays. Stores were empty and so was the beach.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:40 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I'd have the blues on Sunday if I could figure out when that was !
Old 07-14-2008, 05:43 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I'd have the blues on Sunday if I could figure out when that was !
Old 07-14-2008, 05:43 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Up until Laurence posted this, I thought it was friday. I was also figuring it for about the 8th or 10th of july.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Up until Laurence posted this, I thought it was friday. I was also figuring it for about the 8th or 10th of july.
And I posted it in young dreamers so to get other working stiffs reactions, not all you retired $%!@!^ gloating at me!
Old 07-14-2008, 06:52 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I guess I could get one those "Day Clocks" to keep me up to date, but if I don't know what day it is it really doesn't matter 'cause I really don't care!
We have to be careful not to go near the stores on weekends and not to go near the roads during rush hours...

Unless, of course, the surf is really really big. Then I'll leave at 4:30 AM to join the "dawn patrol" and work straight through to the "unemployed/vacationing" shift.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And I posted it in young dreamers so to get other working stiffs reactions, not all you retired $%!@!^ gloating at me!
Old 07-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #37

Quote:
LOL! You tell em! Gloaters
Old 07-14-2008, 07:38 PM   #38

My internal clock goes off @ 7 pm Sunday with the phrase - did ya get the memo? At that point I put the beer away
Old 07-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Things seem to improve quickly though as Monday progresses. I hope that is the case for you also!
I also find this to be the case. Was in a relatively bad anticipatory mood yesterday, especially at night, and here we are 1 day down. What I like about the middle of the week is the radio starts to give the weather for the weekend, so something to look forward to. (Although I hate when on Sunday they talk about a beautiful week ahead and I think alot of good that will do me.)

But to be this way for 21 more years is much too long. Try to change your attitude, appreciate the little things, even at work. I am only looking at a few more years, so that is easier to handle, but you should not go through 21 x 52 Mondays feeling this way.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:19 PM   #40

i started with the sunday night blues in school...and it followed me...even though idont work EVERY monday now. But the idea that myself designated 100% relaxation day will soon be gone gets me every time