Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #181
Recycles dryer sheets

Got to print all these out and take them home for the book project. Never have a better source of material.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #182
Full time employment: Posting here.

My only comment is that you are luck that you only have a single grand poobah. I work for a small company and I have a grand poobah family running the place. Husband, Wife, BIL,SIL, DD,Son.

Fortunately I only work PT and they pretty much leave me alone as I just program their computers.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #183
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I heard privately about two more departures so far this week. A friend admitted she has heard about so many bailouts that she does not even react.

They are trying to get me to interview 5 applicants in the next week, perhaps one of which is qualified (and they probably make a lot more than this place would pay).

Will the last employee to quit please turn out the lights?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #184
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Will the last employee to quit please turn out the lights?
Any offers on the house yet?

Started your short-timer's chain?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #185
Give me a forum ...

We have had 7 showings and one follow up on the house in 2 1/2 weeks. Its the most competitively priced house in the zip code, so just a matter of time.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #186
Give me a forum ...

Hang in there brewer. I'm sure your home will sell.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #187
Give me a forum ...

My contempt for this clown show only grows, if you can imagine that.

I have heard zero about where to turn in my laptop, keys, ID, etc. in a place that claims to take security very seriously. Now that I am 3 days from my last day in the office, I finally called the front line folks to ask what I should do. Turns out this is the first they have heard of me leaving (name not on the list) despite the fact that my chain of command has known for roughly 6 weeks. WTF? Are so many people running out the door that the processing is getting overwhelmed? Or is this just just the usual astounding level of organizational incomepetence?

- Will Rogers
Old 06-21-2011, 09:25 AM   #188
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe if you don't say anything more, they'll keep paying you...
Old 06-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #189
Give me a forum ...

Tempting...

If nothing else, I would get a free laptop out of it.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #190
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Or is this just just the usual astounding level of organizational incomepetence?[/QUOTE]

I'll choose the above.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #191

Just three more days? That is incredible. I'll miss the updates, though. Congrats again on your escape and new life out West. I at least hope we'll get to hear a couple of highlights of the "Prairie Schooner" style trip out there with the family.
Maybe they can't keep up with the flood of exits?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #192
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My contempt for this clown show only grows, if you can imagine that.
I have heard zero about where to turn in my laptop, keys, ID, etc. in a place that claims to take security very seriously. Now that I am 3 days from my last day in the office, I finally called the front line folks to ask what I should do. Turns out this is the first they have heard of me leaving (name not on the list) despite the fact that my chain of command has known for roughly 6 weeks. WTF? Are so many people running out the door that the processing is getting overwhelmed? Or is this just just the usual astounding level of organizational incomepetence?
Quote:
Tempting...
If nothing else, I would get a free laptop out of it.
Whadda they gonna do, chase you out to the Rockies? Say mean things about you to your new boss?

Thousands of Young Dreamers are counting on you to remind them of why they're saving for ER. This thread is a clarion call to action.

We're also really really looking forward to your "tell all" book... and if you could arrange for it to come out in 2016 just before the elections, so much the better.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #193
Moderator Emeritus

Brewer, be sure to post the video of the encounter between you and the front line if they try to quash your transfer now that they have wind of it.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #194
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Brewer, be sure to post the video of the encounter between you and the front line if they try to quash your transfer now that they have wind of it.
Oooo... to be a fly on the wall for that interaction if it occurred.

Have a safe trip brewer.

DD
Old 06-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #195
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I had one of those meetings in a corporate downsizing. Wink-wink we really don't want you to go! I say OK what incentive will you provide for me staying? They say Nothing Why? I say because the golden handshake package is very attractive.

We sawed off on my staying three extra months to handle the breakage. It worked out well. I only had 2 months off before my first consulting contract started.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #196
Give me a forum ...

This morning I have had a series of 3 emails that only left me shaking my head:

1. we need your resignation letter.
2. never mind, we have it (WTF, I never wrote one)
3. oh wait, we need it immediately.

To top it off, I am transferring, not resigning.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #197
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
To top it off, I am transferring, not resigning.
At this point I'd be wondering whether they know something that you haven't been told yet.

Nah, never mind, incompetence & stupidity is a much more logical reason than conspiracy.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #198
Give me a forum ...

The exit interview was both amusing and brought up a bunch of repressed anger. The interviewer let slip that someone I know witha similar name is leaving for a "competitor," perhaps a month after fully vesting in pension and 401k.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The exit interview was both amusing and brought up a bunch of repressed anger. The interviewer let slip that someone I know witha similar name is leaving for a "competitor," perhaps a month after fully vesting in pension and 401k.
A whole month

An exit interview for a transfer is not common in my experience. Odd. If you were changing Fed agencies then the current agency would be terminating your employment and the new agency would be hiring you when technically it is a transfer - under that circumstance an exit interview would be appropriate. FYI, if they don't know why you and others are leaving then any explanation on your part is senseless. Better just to say 'family reasons' and move on.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #200
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
FYI, if they don't know why you and others are leaving then any explanation on your part is senseless. Better just to say 'family reasons' and move on.
I know that, but it still felt good to tell them what hopeless losers they are.

- Will Rogers