Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-01-2011, 12:09 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post

After a tw decade career spent at half a dozen organizations, I keep thinking that they can't all be so massively screwed up. So far I have only found one that was not, and it fell apart in the financial crisis. Maybe my standards are too high.

Yes they can and many are! The grass is usually not greener on the other side... just a different shade of greenish brown and often loaded with weeds!

You will have to turn that part of your brain off or it will drive you crazy!

With that in mind... If you have to change jobs or employers... the best thing to do is try to maximize your income (balanced with job security and staying sane of course). Every extra $ you earn today is one less $ (time) you will be shackled to it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

I wish there was a pithy saying contest so we could nominate this phrase by Brewer:

Quote:
...the oxygen wasting detritus that has accumulated over the years.
Think of the megacorp morale-boosting coffee cups/tee shirt possibilities: "You're either part of the solution or you're the oxygen wasting detritus that has accumulated over the years."

Old 05-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #63

Good luck Brewer, I know what you are going through. I sent this old joke around my old megacorp a few years ago which was going through multiple re-orgs. Simply replace "Government" with the company you work for and it will probably fit.

Quote:
New Element found in Organization Theory

The new element, Governmentium(Gv), has one neutron, 25 assistant neutrons, 88 deputy neutrons, and 198 assistant deputy neutrons, giving it an atomic mass of 312.
These 312 particles are held together by forces called morons, which are surrounded by vast quantities of lepton-like particles called peons. Since Governmentium has no electrons, it is inert; however, it can be detected, because it impedes every reaction with which it comes into contact.
A tiny amount of Governmentium can cause a reaction that would normally take less than a second, to take from four days to four years to complete.
Governmentium has a normal half-life of 2- 6 years; It does not decay, but instead undergoes a reorganization in which a portion of the assistant neutrons and deputy neutrons exchange places.
In fact, Governmentium’s mass will actually increase over time, since each reorganization will cause more morons to become neutrons, forming isodopes. This characteristic of moron promotion leads some scientists to believe that Governmentium is formed whenever morons reach a critical concentration.
This hypothetical quantity is referred to as critical morass. When catalyzed with money, Governmentium becomes Administratium, an element that radiates just as much energy as Governmentium since it has half as many peons but twice as many morons.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #64
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I wish there was a pithy saying contest so we could nominate this phrase by Brewer:

Think of the megacorp morale-boosting coffee cups/tee shirt possibilities: "You're either part of the solution or you're the oxygen wasting detritus that has accumulated over the years."

Back in my submariner days, we called them FLOB's -- free loading oxygen breathers. Since we had to generate all our own oxygen on board, it was expected that everyone would earn their proportionate share of the O2. FLOB's were very few and far between, and so especially notable.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:02 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The people that have left over the past week are the cream of the crop, including someone who got an award given to one person in the entire organization each year that comes with a substantial cash prize. I hear through the grapevine that there are a whole bunch more who are readying their exit strut, too.
Quote:
Meanwhile, I got an offer out West. Its not quite up to what I want, but workable and the hiring manager hinted that there is wiggle room so I think we can work it out. It will involve a messy relocation, but I escape the mess here, get to do interesting work, and get my post career move paid for now.
Congratulations! I thought I heard a shoe poised to drop.

If you're coming from Jersey then it's hard to see a downside to this move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
FLOB's were very few and far between, and so especially notable.
... and quickly qualified or suffocated...

I still have my copy of my submarine Battery Charging Lineup Officer qualification card, which was created specifically to give young ensigns something to do a vital crew-support mission during midwatches. I think I was given two weeks to complete the qual, and I was informed that I'd be finished in 72 hours.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I was given two weeks to complete the qual, and I was informed that I'd be finished in 72 hours.
That reminds me of my 7 day assignment to study the sortie patterns to southern Europe off of Sardinia. Got it done in 2 days and spent the rest of the week on the beach learning Italian!
Old 05-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
That reminds me of my 7 day assignment to study the sortie patterns to southern Europe off of Sardinia. Got it done in 2 days and spent the rest of the week on the beach learning Italian!
Yeah, well, as soon as I finished the BCLU qual it just got me that much less behind on the next qual card...

If you weren't wearing gold dolphins then you didn't dare be caught reading anything besides a reactor plant manual or a naval tactical pub.

Most of the environment was the crew stressing you to make sure that they could count on you in an emergency. You wanted to do the nondestructive testing before the real casualty pushed 'em past the breaking point.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:37 PM   #68
Administrator

Quote:
If you weren't wearing gold dolphins then you didn't dare be caught reading anything besides a reactor plant manual or a naval tactical pub.
A philosophy that extended to movies too. Back in the day, we showed movies on a 16 mm projector. Typically they had three reels. As the most junior member of the wardroom, it was my job to show the movie to the other officers onboard, which required me to change the reels when necessary. However, since I was not yet qualified, I was not actually allowed to watch the movie (since it was assumed I would be studying for my qualifications). Yet I still needed to change the reels on time. Fortunately, the reels told how long each one was, so I would set my alarm to coincide with the end of a reel, run down to the wardroom and change the reel and hightail it back to my stateroom to continue my studies.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Meanwhile, I got an offer out West.
Oak Park??
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Meanwhile, I got an offer out West. Its not quite up to what I want, but workable and the hiring manager hinted that there is wiggle room so I think we can work it out. It will involve a messy relocation, but I escape the mess here, get to do interesting work, and get my post career move paid for now. Plus I will be able to look up Dex.
Grats, that's a good outcome when the situation has turned that toxic.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
A philosophy that extended to movies too.
Gosh, I miss those days. NOT.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

And my immediate boss (with whom I am friendly) was just given 2 hours to pick one of 3 people coming to our wider group. We frantically put out feelers and ask around as discreetly as possible and found out that they are the B team at best. Now lets see if we get any of these people, nobody, or someone entirely different.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... they are the B team at best. Now lets see if we get any of these people, nobody, or someone entirely different.
I can feel your pain!

If you were being generous with the B Team description... and it is actual the C Team. It is always easier to transfer the dead weight problem. If you can't fire 'em... transfer 'em!

From the manager's point of view.... why would they give you the main "go to" employee? You can bet there is some horse trading going on!

I told ya man.... some people will turn it into an opportunity!
Old 05-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
I can feel your pain!

If you were being generous with the B Team description... and it is actual the C Team. It is always easier to transfer the dead weight problem. If you can't fire 'em... transfer 'em!

From the manager's point of view.... why would they give you the main "go to" employee? You can bet there is some horse trading going on!

I told ya man.... some people will turn it into an opportunity!
A piece of furniture added to a 10 person team is annoying, but not a big deal. A piece of furniture added to an understaffed 3 person team is a serious hardship. This case is the latter.

- Will Rogers
Old 05-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #75
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
A piece of furniture added to a 10 person team is annoying, but not a big deal. A piece of furniture added to an understaffed 3 person team is a serious hardship. This case is the latter.
If you have to take a piece of useless furniture, then at least make sure that it matches the existing color scheme. There is nothing worse than a useless piece of furniture that also clashes. Been there and experienced that. At my previous job, the customer support guy admitted to having nothing to do past 9:30 AM everyday, so he spent the rest of the day getting on others' case about the most inane topic such as what brand of phone they chose to buy, and if you dismissed his time wasting, he got in-your-face angry for not being taken seriously. The QA analyst chronically complained of being blocked from advancement yet shrank back to her little shell while screaming at the people who gave her a shot when given the tiniest task that involved coordinating with people outside the team. She also complained of being worked to the bone yet showed up after 11 AM everyday, spent an hour complaining with her girlfriend, went off to a 1.5 hour lunch promptly at noon, and then was out of the office by 5 PM. Furniture indeed.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Teams always try to slough off rotten wood. Better to accept no one unless your boss picks them when s/he has the option of none of the above.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
And my immediate boss (with whom I am friendly) was just given 2 hours to pick one of 3 people coming to our wider group. We frantically put out feelers and ask around as discreetly as possible and found out that they are the B team at best. Now lets see if we get any of these people, nobody, or someone entirely different.
Sounds like it's worth going port & stbd with the existing bunch rather than take on someone who'll turn it into a three-section watchbill-- with two of the sections cleaning up for the mess created by the third.

I read a submarine collision report where one of the contributing factors was that one watch section was so bad, their data was routinely ignored during turnover and they were actually hustled out of the spaces (instead of prolonging the turnover with a more thorough discussion about the tracking data) so that the "cleanup" could begin. The investigators actually went out of their way to show that the OOD on watch during the collision had been set up by his preceding watchstanders.

Unfortunately the only one who loses if they don't fill the personnel gap is your boss, who is perceived to be not capable of managing as many people as the other managers. Nobody would believe him if he said he could get more done with fewer people.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Unfortunately the only one who loses if they don't fill the personnel gap is your boss, who is perceived to be not capable of managing as many people as the other managers. Nobody would believe him if he said he could get more done with fewer people.
Of he three of us, I will probably ink my deal formally tomorrow, my coworker has applied and gotten a response from another firm, and the boss has a foot and a half out the door and has investigated alternatives in his old career. Ain't gonna be anybody of the current crew left to blame at this rate.

- Will Rogers
Old 05-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Of he three of us, I will probably ink my deal formally tomorrow, my coworker has applied and gotten a response from another firm, and the boss has a foot and a half out the door and has investigated alternatives in his old career. Ain't gonna be anybody of the current crew left to blame at this rate.
I hope someone will stick around long enough to say to your new transfer, "Welcome aboard! I stand relieved" while passing them the Mystery Bag. It's sort of traditional...
Old 05-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Gotta admit that's the most efficient solution to this problem.

And you're all doing your part to reduce the "corporate" expense burden!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I hope someone will stick around long enough to say to your new transfer, "Welcome aboard! I stand relieved" while passing them the Mystery Bag. It's sort of traditional...
Eh, just enter "Secured the watch" in the log, turn out the lights, and ship the paperwork to the archives... but leave the "Mystery Bag" tucked in the corner of a closet for the next unsuspecting tenant.