Join Early Retirement Today
Taxes, W2 and 1099 Earnings
Old 12-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe
Taxes, W2 and 1099 Earnings

If anyone knows the answer to this I would greatly appreciate it!

In 2009 when I do my tax return (I use Turbo Tax) I should have money coming back to me based on my W2 earnings, but I will owe the government based on a little bit of 1099 earnings.

I am assuming this is doable, but I just want to ask: is it possible all within doing my tax return to credit the money that would come back to me from the government and apply it to paying the taxes on my 1099 earnings right then?

Alex. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
That's not quite how it works. You file one return, and your net 1099 income (minus expenses, if any, which I assume are going on Schedule C) is added into your total taxable income -- added with your W-2 income. You don't file a return for W-2 income, get a refund and then file again to pay the tax on the 1099 income.

The first thing I'd be concerned about is that if you haven't paid estimated quarterly taxes on your 1099 income, you need to make sure you've had enough withheld from your W-2 income to reach "safe harbor" provisions for avoiding penalties for underwithholding.

For most taxpayers (except those at rather high income levels), there are three ways to be in "safe harbor":

* If the amount of tax withheld is at least 90% of the tax due this year;

* If the amount of tax withheld is at least 100% of last year's total tax liability;

* If the amount you still owe the IRS is less than $1,000.

If any one of these applies, there will be no penalty for the underwithholding.

If your W-2 income would have been overwithheld absent the 1099 income, then some of what *would* have been a tax refund would instead go to paying the tax due on the 1099 income not yet taxed. A lot of households that have a mix of W-2 and 1099 do this -- overwithhold intentionally on the W-2 income in order to cover the taxes that would be due on the 1099 income, and thus avoid the need to file quarterly estimated payments.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe
Thank you so much - this was perfect.

Luckily I believe I will owe 1099 wise a bit under $1,000, so I think things will work out.

However, this will help me later on because I anticipate making more 1099 earnings next year and I will want to do quarterly payments.
Alex. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Ziggy nailed it but you could file a return with just your W-2 income, and then after you get your refund, file an amended return with your 1099 earnings. Kind of a screwy way of doing it but perfectly legal and acceptable.
frayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
What Ziggy said happened for us. I worked for a few years freelance and got 1099 income. I know we're idiots, but we always had way too much withheld from DH's W-2 income. When we filed our joint income tax, the amount withheld for his income generally covered the taxes due on my 1099 income. It is all together on one return.

If you use TurboTax or TaxAct or TaxCut, it will guide you through the filing for all your income at once. If you owe money, the program will also suggest (and provide you with the form for it) mailing quarterly tax payments. We never did that and never had an IRS problem with it.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:10 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado
Also don't forget to clain as much legitimate expenes you can document on your schedule C to offset tax and social security tax.

Zacchaeus Come Down From That Tree
Raygun99 is offline   Reply With Quote