Join Early Retirement Today

Tell me if it counts
Old 05-24-2006, 07:53 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Tell me if it counts

Hi,

Me and my DH are talking about having kids in the next few years, and I am not planning to go back to work after that.

However, I have a degree in accounting, I have been working since I was 16 and just can't imagine myself not bringing in some kind of income, so I might look into doing some kind of light bookeeping for small businesses.

Does that count as a "retierement"? I've always thought that as long i don't have 9-5 working for the Great Corporate America, I am not exactly "working"

What do the gurus on here think?

Lena

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Tell me if it counts
Old 05-24-2006, 07:58 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
Me and my DH are talking about having kids in the next few years
Sounds like full-time work to me* :

- Ron

Old 05-24-2006, 08:01 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Honestly, who cares? One of the nice things about saving and LBYM is that you have more time and resources available to please yourself. My DW quit before we had kids and set up a small business in her field that she continues with today. Its a nice way for her to stay active in her field, make a small amount of money, and have a little adult contact that doesn't involve play dates. Laurence's DW is doing something similar.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:05 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
...so I might look into doing some kind of light bookeeping for small businesses.

Does that count as a "retierement"?* I've always thought that as long i don't have 9-5 working for the Great Corporate America, I am not exactly "working"
At best it's semi-retirement.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:39 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

I've always thought that as long i don't have 9-5 working for the Great Corporate America, I am not exactly "working"

What do the gurus on here think?

See what Uncle Sam, or Social Security thinks. Isn't that the ultimate yardstick? Gonna contribute to SS?

A lot of the weekend days, I work harder entertaining the kid than weekdays at the office.

People told me a kid would be hard work, but I had no idea how much work. I think that's what Ron is hinting at too.

-CC

Old 05-24-2006, 09:50 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

As a parent of two children, I do not think kids are hard work. This is especially true when they start to go to school. This is especially true when you teach them to take care of themselves. They are not pets and can become quite independent after 20 years or so.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:41 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Very interesting. Well, since (if all goes well) not having kids is not an option, I might not be retired for many many moons to come

I guess I am trying to figure out how I am going to handle not having a regular paycheck twice a month.

So, I am hoping to get many great ideas here

Lena
Old 05-24-2006, 10:59 AM   #8

my brother's wife doesn't work. she raises his three kids, keeps the 3,200 sf house clean and helps care for my mom with alzheimer's.

i don't think of her as retired. i think of her as an illegal immigrant.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 11:09 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Honestly, who cares?* One of the nice things about saving and LBYM is that you have more time and resources available to please yourself.* My DW quit before we had kids and set up a small business in her field that she continues with today.* Its a nice way for her to stay active in her field, make a small amount of money, and have a little adult contact that doesn't involve play dates.* Laurence's DW is doing something similar.
Ditto, I'm not interested in meeting some technical definition of retired!

I think that the situation that Brewer's spouse and my spouse now experience has really opened my eyes. Sure, she's working part time (15-20 a week), but she is working strictly from home, enjoying the interaction, and yesterday took my daughter to the beach! I'm starting to think semi-ER is the route for me, too!
Old 05-24-2006, 11:15 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
I'm starting to think semi-ER is the route for me, too!
Somewhere ESRBob just broke out in a big grin...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 11:29 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

So, the big question is: where to start??

Old 05-24-2006, 11:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Somwhere, ESRBob just broke out in a big grin...
Good point. I like ESRBob's book but it doens't apply to me, I want a clean break from work into retirement. But part time work would work for a lot of people and this sounds like a very good case. And you get to tell your friends you are retired, a stay at home Mom or working as you choose.

You may like the income and you may like the social/work contact. Under ideal conditions you could have flexible hours as well. Certainly worth exploring.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:39 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So, the big question is:* where to start??
If you're asking "What work should I do?" then let me vent a pet peeve.

If you're an accountant, do you know how to do non-profits & their tax returns? When I volunteered as Treasurer of a very very small 501(c)3 ($35K annual revenue), no full-time self-respecting money-grubbing accountant would touch such a tiny organization. It was actually easier to learn the accounting & taxes than it was to find & supervise someone for the $400-$500 we'd be able to pay. If you're only looking to do a couple hours a month and a couple workdays around tax time (especially with 501(c)3 flexible fiscal years & filing extensions) you'd help a lot of volunteers sleep better at night.

Have you considered small-business or non-profit consulting? A neighbor of ours helps organizations set themselves up, organize their books, and deal with tax issues. She only works with them once or twice a year for a straight hourly rate. It would also be very easy for Peachtree or Quickbooks users at small businesses to swap files with you.

And most of your work-related spending would either be a business expense or a charitable donation...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:36 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Nords,

that's a really interesting suggestion, thank you. I've never done none-profit accounting, but I do know the basics, so don't think it would be too hard to learn.

As appealing as it might sound to some - the idea of complete retirment, I just can't picture not doing something that relates to my field.

Anyone has any suggestions on good reading?

Lena

Old 05-24-2006, 01:40 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
my brother's wife doesn't work. she raises his three kids, keeps the 3,200 sf house clean and helps care for my mom with alzheimer's.

i don't think of her as retired. i think of her as an illegal immigrant.

You're an artist and funny.*

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha

You're an artist and funny.*
yeah, mom used to say i'm funny. but then she'd say: "but looks aren't everything."

(and actually i thought of that immigrant thing from reading your last post)

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:09 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I can say with some authority that "lazy" and "not working" are not associate in any way with my "retirement". A few days I've looked at the wife and said I was considering going back to work as sitting behind a desk and talking to people on the phone was way easier than this.

CONSIDERING. For a second.

Maybe the OP could do tax work? Busy for a month or two a year, probably bring in some good change, sit back the rest of the year?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 02:25 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

retirement is not having to work ,but not necessarly not working........
Old 05-28-2006, 03:41 PM   #19

Retirement is not working, not having to work for money is financial independence.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:33 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Retirement is exactly what each person decides it means to them.

Otherwise, you'd have to sit like a lump in one place, on feeding tubes, to avoid the definition of "work"

"Something that one is doing, making, or performing, especially as an occupation or undertaking; a duty or task"
"Something that has been produced or accomplished through the effort, activity, or agency of a person or thing"

Even occasionally learning about and managing investments is "work".

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote