Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-29-2010, 07:43 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegs View Post
So as it regards retirement self funding, whether it's a matter of choice or just good fortune is very debatable.

In America, if you've managed to save enough for retirement throughout your working life, you're the exception.
+1

And let me add that being the "exception" doesn't make you "exceptional" -- as those behind door #1 quite often believe.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2010, 08:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Which outcome would you like?
There's a myth in US culture that life depends entirely on personal choices. Were it only that simple.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:26 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
There's a myth in US culture that life depends entirely on personal choices. Were it only that simple.
Yup.

If I had heard that "test" when I graduated from HS I would have rolled my eyes and moved on with real life.

The problem is that people aren't taking the same damn test.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:47 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
You are correct to a point. That point is, there is a time for a person to decide what they want and go after it. If I hadn't done that 20 years ago I'd still be driving a garbage truck, living in a rented shack, and barely getting by. If I hadn't been able to convince my first sheriff, police chief, district manager, and some nameless board members in Washington that I was the best option for the job my life would be very different. It was ultimately up to them to decide if I was going to get the job, but I did my job and they chose me. So in the end, I decided to do something about my situation and was able to convince other people to believe in me and as a result I now make a very good living doing something that is somewhat enjoyable, complex (I'll never learn everything there is with my job), and challenging. This plays out everyday in almost every country in the world.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:50 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
TikiToast had a slightly different impression of him a few years ago:
Keeping it Simple...Ben Stein...
I don't know the guy personally. Just reciting what I know about him. I have met him and talked with him in a small group setting for probably 20 minutes or so and that is it. This was during law school when our little conservative students group hired him to speak about constitutional law.

I left with the impression that I'm sure much of the public has - smart guy with a bit of arrogance. I don't think he tries to hide his arrogance and in fact it is part of his shtick (see, for example, Win Ben Stein's Money). Looks like tikitoast was on the bitter receiving end of ample amounts of arrogance.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:11 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I really don't have much use for anyone part of the Nixon syndicate.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:38 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

True, but personal choices have a lot to do with how most people turn out... almost everybody I know are the the range of where you think they would be with the choices they made...

So the guy who always thought he should be given a job... who hated bosses telling him what to do etc. etc.... has three kids he can not take care of and has been living at his parents house nor working for the past 20 to 25 years.... his 'choices'....

When I was young, I was not interested in getting a good job etc... but then changed my mind, went back to school, graduated with honors... got jobs etc... and now have a good life... sure, there were times when things were not going like I wanted, but I would then make changes to (as my wife would say) 'reach my final destination'....
Old 10-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
TikiToast had a slightly different impression of him a few years ago:
Keeping it Simple...Ben Stein...
I don't see any reason why being a jerk personally is mutually exclusive with providing wisdom, sound advice or interestingly framed scenarios as with the OP's post. History is full of examples of brilliant people that were deviants in many ways. The two may even be related but not necessarily always from a negative point of view.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

The other thing is this- TikiToast is one woman. A well spoken, articulate and apparently completely sane woman, but still...
Old 10-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetSail View Post
I don't see any reason why being a jerk personally is mutually exclusive with providing wisdom, sound advice or interestingly framed scenarios as with the OP's post. History is full of examples of brilliant people that were deviants in many ways. The two may even be related but not necessarily always from a negative point of view.

True... I think the OP should be kind of an eye opener for a lot of people... it is a pretty direct way to get you thinking... which way do I want to go... and it should be this way to get someone thinking...

In reality, there are a lot more doors between 1 and 2... and most of us end up in one of them...
Old 10-29-2010, 12:49 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
True, but personal choices have a lot to do with how most people turn out... almost everybody I know are the the range of where you think they would be with the choices they made...

So the guy who always thought he should be given a job... who hated bosses telling him what to do etc. etc.... has three kids he can not take care of and has been living at his parents house nor working for the past 20 to 25 years.... his 'choices'....

When I was young, I was not interested in getting a good job etc... but then changed my mind, went back to school, graduated with honors... got jobs etc... and now have a good life... sure, there were times when things were not going like I wanted, but I would then make changes to (as my wife would say) 'reach my final destination'....
Well...Mom and Dad told me if I screwed up they'd pound the crap out of me. I guess it was a choice...
Old 10-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
The only problem with this is that Bill Maher is one of the world's biggest idiots, and he is nasty to boot.
They (Maher & Stein) are both amusing, nothing more...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:24 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Columbia undergrad, Yale Law School grad, lawyer, law school professor (recent professorial posting on this board notwithstanding), former presidential speechwriter and an entertaining speaker.
Maybe entertaining speaker, but what does the rest have to do with not being an idiot.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc View Post
Maybe entertaining speaker, but what does the rest have to do with not being an idiot.
Well, as someone who was denied admittance to Yale Law School, I'd like to think that it takes at least a modicum of intelligence to get in to the place. Otherwise it makes me a real big idiot!

And as for law professors, I always thought mine were very intelligent. At least they did not fall into the "idiot" category. I disagreed with virtually all of them on their politics, but that doesn't make them idiots.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well, as someone who was denied admittance to Yale Law School, I'd like to think that it takes at least a modicum of intelligence to get in to the place. Otherwise it makes me a real big idiot!
Are you wearing a "KICK ME!!" sign today, or are you just hoping that we'll help you add to your collection of lawyer jokes?

Yale Law School, intelligence, lawyers, idiots... way too easy.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:53 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Are you wearing a "KICK ME!!" sign today, or are you just hoping that we'll help you add to your collection of lawyer jokes?

Yale Law School, intelligence, lawyers, idiots... way too easy.
I'm always in the mood for lawyer jokes. I've been thinking about dropping the law license anyway, so maybe this will push me over the edge.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm always in the mood for lawyer jokes. I've been thinking about dropping the law license anyway, so maybe this will push me over the edge.
I have never noticed any lawyers who were idiots. It may take a while to cotton the usual lawyer personality, but they are not stupid, they are not naive, and they are not slackers.

Think twice before giving up your badge, Fuego. I have known a few guys who did an ESR, by doing some services for other lawyers and other low prestige but reasonably well paid work. A lot better than McDonald's anyway.

Ha
Old 10-29-2010, 03:31 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Think twice before giving up your badge, Fuego. I have known a few guys who did an ESR, by doing some services for other lawyers and other low prestige but reasonably well paid work. A lot better than McDonald's anyway.
I don't really use the law license professionally. It is expensive and a hassle to maintain. 2 days of continuing education a year at a minimum. The resume will still say member of bar of state XX (inactive) since I'm technically petitioning the bar to become an inactive member. It is not a permanent decision. Agreed on the "no dumb lawyer" comment. Plenty of law school grads (probably not from Yale) may not be the brightest, but the bar exam usually weeds them out. And two of my friends/high school classmates who graduated from Yale law school are pretty high up there on the list of the brightest people I know.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:48 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I don't really use the law license professionally. It is expensive and a hassle to maintain. 2 days of continuing education a year at a minimum.
It seems difficult to throw away a bird in the hand, especially if you could semi-ER to find a legal firm willing to hire you for a few extra hours a month of gruntwork in exchange for paying your fees.

BTW the bar exam doesn't weed out all the dumb lawyers. I had the misfortune of working with two military officers who retired to get their law degrees. (One of them used to convene his law-school study group in his office at the command during working hours... but it kept him out of our hair so that was actually a good thing.) Book smart does not equate to common sense, and I think a substantial minority of lawyers would benefit from a little dose of good engineering practice.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:45 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It seems difficult to throw away a bird in the hand, especially if you could semi-ER to find a legal firm willing to hire you for a few extra hours a month of gruntwork in exchange for paying your fees.
Not so easy. Partly it is because of malpractice issues. The firm would have to carry him on their policy. Their deductible may be pretty high (think $50,000 or thereabouts) and so he is automatically an additional risk. He would not be able to do legal work outside the purview of the firm. Continuing education and licensing is pricey and is a nuisance for a firm to monitor. He would have to be educated and monitored on all sorts of firm policies, such as trust accounts. Unless he is bringing in a significant amount of money he isn't worth the risk and the bother. It is far easier of him to go on inactive status.

I have kept my Minnesota license but I went inactive in other states where I was licensed because of these factors. In most states you can reactivate by taking a bunch of legal education courses and paying a bunch of money.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote