Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-31-2007, 07:58 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Kumquat, congrats on being so close to the departure gates for the journey onto the next stage of your life.

You know I can't work out the dress code thing either. I work at an establishment where we very rarely see anyone yet a tie is mandatory. It makes absolutely no sense to me. For client visits yes, but every day at an office where no-one sees you? This is the type of thing which makes me want to leave now.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2007, 12:50 PM   #22

Congrats Kumquat. Have a great time figuring out 'what to do all day'.
29 more days for me. If the only 'down side' was the dress code, consider yourself fortunate. It is interesting that it actually got back to the CEO. That could be interpreted as a 'good thing' ... guy actually wants feedback and opinons.

Let us know how the 1st few months go... I for one will be very interested and will do the same, when my turn comes.
megacorp-firee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:41 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Dress code?

I now work for the same company I worked for out of college. It is slightly progressive, and as such my view of the world is much different than most.

Where I work we have flex time, you wear what you want and work the hours you want. Some people bring their dog to work, and some have purple hair. It is also *against* company policy to do any drug screening. We have been told that wearing a tie is inappropriate. That is right ... purple hair and drugs are ok, but not a tie.

After a few years of this I left the company. I was shocked when we were asked not to wear shorts to work. In the end I am very happy to be back where I started.

I think I will forever be loyal because they encourage working from home, and treat their employees with amazing respect. Even after a layoff they gave 6 months serverance!
rw86347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
I now have less than 10 working days left. My RE date is June 1. Co-workers have been bugging me about how many days, minutes or seconds I have left. I've told them they can put a number on my door every day but no-one has.

Not that I care, but would it be a breach of etiquite to put a big "9" up on Tuesday (Monday is a Cdn holiday) and reduce it by one each day?

WHAT WILL I DO ALL DAY?
OK POP a Top has arrived!!! How was the send off? What are ya gonna do all day?
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:40 PM   #25

Well, I'm back from the party and may not be all that coherent. I didn't choose the 'puke on the floor and leave' option and I found i thourally enjoyed it. Company wanted one of those fancy spend and suck-up events, I refused and asked co-workers to invite all who I know (last year or 2 has seen big expansion & some turnover) to a do at a local pub. Of 200 employees, about 75 (who are sort of old friends showed up). It was actually a good time: got to hug the good looking women and tell them that they were the only co-workers I'd miss, drank a few Killkennys, and was among the last to leave.

Funny part is that there are quite a few I actually will miss.

Onwards and upwards (and to those who don't get it, up yours).
Old 06-02-2007, 12:20 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations!

Welcome to the new world of the newly retired. Now is the time to just chill out and adjust.

It has been two weeks for me and it still feels like vacation. But, I have found that I don't have enough time to do all the things I want; so I don't. Before ER that would have bothered me, now it doesn't. There is always tomorrow.

Good luck and don't forget to write.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:23 AM   #27

Congrats Kumquat on making it safely out the door for the final time. Keep us up to date with what you do all day, as I am sure you will be like Steve and not a free minute.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote