Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You do not necessarily get your self worth out of your job. But you need to get it somewhere. Most of us work for pay and nothing else. There are far too many jobs that need to be done for each of us to “find our calling”, in our work.

On Star Trek they talked about not working for money any more, just to better themselves. What BS. Who cleaned the toilets on the Enterprise? Not the Captain. Just those who were trying to better themselves? Who then?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
But notice how they seldom write about the hardships they face.
Judging from pms ER isn't all wine and roses for everyone.

Even those of us who have left competition behind can be a bit competitive about ER.

Also, some just don't want to talk about their post retirement divorce or whatever unpleasantness happened their way.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post

Even those of us who have left competition behind can be a bit competitive about ER.

Also, some just don't want to talk about their post retirement divorce or whatever unpleasantness happened their way.
Katrina.

A great lession as to how important stuff and purpose really are.

16 years of 'doing nothing in particular' and still trying to get it right.

heh heh heh - after 16 years maybe I should take ER serious - write a turgid book or maybe give serious() interviews after sucking lemons so as to present the proper gravitas and demenor.

Or not.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Face it...we're in the lumpen slums of cyberspace....
Old 05-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
And once again bbbam has me spewing coffee on my screen
Old 05-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #26
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Let me Google that for you...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lumpenslumsgooglesearch.jpg (125.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 05-04-2010, 09:01 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I have a couple of engineering degrees, yet only worked 18 years in the field before retiring. I was very successful (and lucky too - no doubt). I don't see my degrees as a "waste". And 18 years was all I needed to feel that I got everything I wanted out of that career, and I was ready to move on to other things.......
Yeah, I have a couple degrees, one of which is in engineering. I am a highly compensated, somewhat highly glorified spreadsheet jockey. A small, but not insubstantial, part of my job consists of photocopying and stapling things and preparing fedex labels and packages. Yes, perhaps one day I could rise to the ranks of "manager" of people that do what I currently do, and then I could call myself a glorified manager of spreadsheet jockeys. Maybe once I rise to that rank, I will find that it is my avocation?

My training and education are important mainly because they enable me to earn a comfortable living in a comfortable job and enable me to FIRE perhaps after only working 11-12 years in my field. The years of schooling that led to my engineering degree were not "wasted" since I still earned much more with the degree versus without it.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Bravo!

Audrey
Old 05-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
But "doing what you love" is not necessarily all fun and games either...

I submit that my wife loves what she does. But she doesn't love her job. Rounds of layoffs, corporate reorganizations, neurotic bosses and backstabbing jackasses can take their toll on even the most passionate people.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My hero to the rescue................
Old 05-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
The other day as I was ever so slowly waking up to a new day, I realized I wasn't sure what day of the week it was (didn't care, not particularly relavent), nor what time it was (certainly early afternoon, but any closer than that again irrelavent), and if I canceled all our appointments for the day (lol, OK none 97% of the time allowing for One DW App to see her PM Folk each month) today could just keep on being a very good and joyful day. I slid my footsie over and touched DW's footsie. She turned and looked at me, we stared into each other's eyes, then we both got S__t E__ting grins on our faces and both of us had the same thought... She stated it out loud, "Life is Good"

FIRE is about Freedom.

We happily and very overtly planned in advance and successfully traded a relatively extravagant (For Us) income stream with little real time to enjoy it, for a lifetime "reasonable" forever salary paid to us to do nothing, or anything (that isn't excessively expensive). We have enough cushion to support our hobbies (don't ask me how many guitars I have, you seriously would not believe it) and unlimited time to pursue them to any extent that we wish, and to come full circle, often we simply get to the end of the day having done nothing more significant than each of us reading the book of our choice.
That was a good day.

Doesn't mean we haven't experience tragedy since ER. We expected to be able to spend a lot more time with our only Son. Not to be as he was taken from us just about a year ago at age 25 and we will never ever get over it. However if that was going to happen, whether I was gainfully employed or not would not of effected the outcome now would it?

My point is we never feel like we're lumpen (I had to look it up too), we contribute both to society and to the economy and we freed up a couple of choice job opps for a couple of up and comers. The fellow that took mine was well qualified and was doing a fine job last I checked, oh two years ago. (Funny how you think you'll stay in touch but you just lose track) Now I can go days or weeks withoug thinking of the old workplace.

We totally enjoy day after day of doing nothing in particular. We have become experts in our field!

Old 05-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have a feeling the market rout of 2007-2008 has caused some to panic and sell out at a low point. They would be afraid to admit having done so, for fear of being ridiculed. I wouldn't blame anybody though. I was scared, and if I weren't having a part-time job, I would be even more scared. And I did raise my cash steadily in 07 and early 08. Else, I might not be here posting.
Quote:
Yes, there are many type As here.
Quote:
Retirement does not stave off marital unhappiness or illnesses. But imagine how miserable one would be, being sick and needing to work to maintain health insurance. Or like one of my cousins, an oral surgeon who had to keep some minimal hours at her private practice to stay afloat while undergoing cancer treatments.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
But "doing what you love" is not necessarily all fun and games either...
And doing what you don't love - just to earn a livelihood - isn't either.

According to Fisker, it’s a “waste” for someone to spend 16 years acquiring an education and then retire after only 10 (I suspect that few people actually achieve FIRE after only 10 years of work, but that’s another issue). By that logic, it would be wasteful for a person to charge careers after spending time earning professional qualifications, regardless of how much they may hate their current job or be attracted towards another (so much for revitalization or personal growth!). As some career gurus claim that the average worker can now expect to work in at least two or three different occupations over their working lifespan, that may be a tough sell.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Honestly, I fail to see the correlation. Where is the waste in increasing your level of knowledge and understanding? Is learning to read and write, "a waste"?? Besides, up to 10 of those 16 years usually aren't by choice. Last time I checked, in the U.S., you have to go to school until you're 16.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post

According to Fisker, it’s a “waste” for someone to spend 16 years acquiring an education and then retire after only 10 .
Old 05-05-2010, 01:46 PM   #36
gone traveling

The dark side of long time employment, IMHO....

"Garland Greene: What if I told you insane was working fifty hours a week in some office for fifty years at the end of which they tell you to piss off; ending up in some retirement village hoping to die before suffering the indignity of trying to make it to the toilet on time? Wouldn't you consider that to be insane?"

- From the movie "Con Air"
Old 05-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

You are so right . It's still life with all it's pitfalls minus a job.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
You are so right . It's still life with all it's pitfalls minus a job.........

.........and an @$$h0le boss telling you to cancel your vacation the day before you are scheduled to leave or calling you at home on a Sunday to give you an "urgent" assignment.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
.........and an @$$h0le boss telling you to cancel your vacation the day before you are scheduled to leave or calling you at home on a Sunday to give you an "urgent" assignment.
I'll see your @$$h0le boss and raise with one who called the day of your father's funeral to offer sympathy talk business and 'suggest' the best way to deal with your loss was to immediately return to work. This is the same boss who called you a few hours after you had surgery (still groggy from the general anesthesia) to wish you a speedy recovery complain about your office manager and insist you fire her...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This is the same boss who called you a few hours after you had surgery (still groggy from the general anesthesia) to wish you a speedy recovery complain about your office manager and insist you fire her...
I'll bet if he had surgery no one would want to waste use anesthesia on him...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote