Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There is the focus issue "putting yourself into something" aspect which I see in a serious light. I still am working on this.

Then there is the cover story aspect which begs for a humorous comment.
This makes me think of Law Dogs. When I lived in Van Nuys there was this lawyer that owned a hotdog shop who offered free legal advice when you bought a hot dog (on Wednesdays only).
Why not Wise Brews? Your neighborhood drive through place for home brew and free financial advice?

Enjoy Colorado!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
There is the focus issue "putting yourself into something" aspect which I see in a serious light. I still am working on this.

Then there is the cover story aspect which begs for a humorous comment.
This makes me think of Law Dogs. When I lived in Van Nuys there was this lawyer that owned a hotdog shop who offered free legal advice when you bought a hot dog (on Wednesdays only).
Why not Wise Brews? Your neighborhood drive through place for home brew and free financial advice?

Enjoy Colorado!
It would be so awesome if it was legal to sell homebrew! That's the job for you, brewer...go to K street for us.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
A) nobody wants to hear about a 40 year old retiring
I do. So do a lot of people on this and other forums.

If they don't want to hear about it, then just don't talk to them about it.

Quote:
B) DW can also be spelled SWMBO (she who must be obeyed)
No comment.

I will say this though: It sounds like the truth is not far from the cover story. You're saying (unless I misunderstand) that you're retiring, but you may get into some little side venture, whether for interest or a little cash. You're not sure what you might do yet, you're still sort of tossing ideas around in your head. Okay. That sounds reasonable. I'm not sure why that needs embellishment.

I think telling stories just makes things more complicated. You're already noticing that telling a "cover story" to family members means that you have to then cover that cover story with other stories (the "oh what a tangled web we weave" problem).

Bottom line for me is, retirement is good for you. It is a good thing. It is much healthier than your work. You've worked hard many years at a miserable job to earn the priviledge of retiring. You don't need to apologize to anyone for that. If they want to get judgmental about the fact that you're retired, well, expletive them.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #24

Quote:
The downside of a cover story (aside from the fact that it irks me to have to have one) is starting to become apparent. My mother has started to suggest business opportunities, including goofy franchises. I am waiting to see who else comes up with great things for me to do (three friends and colleagues have independently suggested that I start managing money). Sigh...
How about "partner in a global non-profit therapist practice"?

Surely, posting advice on the ER forum for current and prospective early retirees would qualify as an international non-profit venture for the betterment of humankind - and that's even ignoring the therapeutic value of discussions on b3aver cheese futures, bacon, and bunnies wearing pancakes.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
It would be so awesome if it was legal to sell homebrew! That's the job for you, brewer...go to K street for us.
That is mostly a matter of state law. Here in CO, state law is extremely friendly, so we have scads of breweries some of which are not all that far removed from homebrewing. In CO it is legal for the brewer to set up a facility, start brewing, and basically just start selling their production over the counter to whoever wishes to buy. Minimal restrictions and hassles, and there has been an explosion of pub breweries, where the brewer does not bother with a restaurant but just seeks to sell all of their production to people in the tasting room/bar. Lots of these are in light industrial strips near residential areas, and most of these brewers make deals with local restaurants and/or foo-foo food carts to bring food in (and avoid the complications of running a restaurant themselves.). Other states are less accommodating, shall we say.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

People are often making conversation and don't really care what others are doing. We also look at things from our own frame of reference so people who are Brewer's age and working will expect the same of others in their cohort. Imho your story should be the truth, that you worked toward this goal of pampered indulgence with dogs and guns and your plans came to fruition. Or just say mind your own beeswax.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
I do. So do a lot of people on this and other forums.

If they don't want to hear about it, then just don't talk to them about it.

No comment.

I will say this though: It sounds like the truth is not far from the cover story. You're saying (unless I misunderstand) that you're retiring, but you may get into some little side venture, whether for interest or a little cash. You're not sure what you might do yet, you're still sort of tossing ideas around in your head. Okay. That sounds reasonable. I'm not sure why that needs embellishment.

I think telling stories just makes things more complicated. You're already noticing that telling a "cover story" to family members means that you have to then cover that cover story with other stories (the "oh what a tangled web we weave" problem).

Bottom line for me is, retirement is good for you. It is a good thing. It is much healthier than your work. You've worked hard many years at a miserable job to earn the priviledge of retiring. You don't need to apologize to anyone for that. If they want to get judgmental about the fact that you're retired, well, expletive them.
The other reason for a cover story is safety. DW is a career counselor by trade and she tells me that if I need to go back to work in the next 5 years I would have a much easier time if I have a plausible occupation on my resume as opposed to a giant gap. The first 5 years is probably the critical period for us, given the sequence of returns problem, so if I can get past the next 5 years without a crash I will likely be able to just tell people I get along via the miracle of the loafs and the fishes (I loafs and I fishes and its a miracle I get along).

- Will Rogers
Old 09-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #28

Quote:
The other reason for a cover story is safety. DW is a career counselor by trade and she tells me that if I need to go back to work in the next 5 years I would have a much easier time if I have a plausible occupation on my resume as opposed to a giant gap.
This is a legitimate reason. Even with a high demand skill set it is always easier to find a new job when one is employed. Working with a spouse also gives a credible and unchallengeable response when asked "why are you leaving?" (We prefer not to work together any longer).

As for friend and family member suggestions, get used to it. It might even get worse before it gets better.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I guess it depends on what you do for a living. If you do something where you can show a portfolio of work, employment with a company you own, certifications, licenses, volunteer work, open source contributions, successful commercial products or some combination, that might look better on a resume than I worked at X company for the last 5 years, which I spent going to meetings and creating reports no one ever really looked at.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #30

Quote:
The other reason for a cover story is safety. DW is a career counselor by trade and she tells me that if I need to go back to work in the next 5 years I would have a much easier time if I have a plausible occupation on my resume as opposed to a giant gap. The first 5 years is probably the critical period for us, given the sequence of returns problem, so if I can get past the next 5 years without a crash I will likely be able to just tell people I get along via the miracle of the loafs and the fishes (I loafs and I fishes and its a miracle I get along).
In your reply to my earlier comment,you said that you are pretty certain that your DW is completely in agreement with your retirement plans. Yet, here is another statement that might imply that she might still have some underlying issues with your complete retirement.Perhaps it's just a little bit of nagging worry about things being all good to go. I believe that you believe she is completely on board,but sometimes the actual execution of a plan can cause a case of the last minute jitters. In any case, it seems your DW might feel a little more comfortable thinking you might return to the workforce.

I hope it all works out for you,and you both are comfortable with whatever happens
Old 09-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
In your reply to my earlier comment,you said that you are pretty certain that your DW is completely in agreement with your retirement plans. Yet, here is another statement that might imply that she might still have some underlying issues with your complete retirement.Perhaps it's just a little bit of nagging worry about things being all good to go. I believe that you believe she is completely on board,but sometimes the actual execution of a plan can cause a case of the last minute jitters. In any case, it seems your DW might feel a little more comfortable thinking you might return to the workforce.

I hope it all works out for you,and you both are comfortable with whatever happens
I know nothing about Brewers home front, but I do know that not many women with small children would be doing somersaults if they found their young professional husbands packing it in.

I did the exact same thing, and I don't really recommend it for marriage cohesion building. Though, as everyone knows, MMV.

Ha
Old 09-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #32

Why not just say you are a private investor?
Old 09-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Congrats Brewer. I didn't realize you were ready to ER already.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
The other reason for a cover story is safety. DW is a career counselor by trade and she tells me that if I need to go back to work in the next 5 years I would have a much easier time if I have a plausible occupation on my resume as opposed to a giant gap.
But how is that a cover story? If you're actually working somewhere (e.g., with your wife), so that you have something on your resume, isn't that the truth then and not a cover story?
Old 09-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #35

That's curious. I made a bad joke up thread about Brewer giving the cover story of becoming a gov't employee, and hinting at CIA. That post is now gone.

Maybe I was to close to home...
Old 09-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
That's curious. I made a bad joke up thread about Brewer giving the cover story of becoming a gov't employee, and hinting at CIA. That post is now gone.

No record or indication of any deleted posts on this thread. Maybe it was gobbled up by the internets.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post

One of us going back to full time work is one of our many contingency plans, and we are both on board with it. We have a joint life expectancy of at least 40 years (probably a good bit longer), so multiple contingencies seem wise to us. This is simply part of the plan, which will likely be modified over time as circumstances change. I have the nagging worries, too, and they are mostly related to the challenge of funding a 40 to 50 year retirement.

- Will Rogers
Old 09-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
Why not just say you are a private investor?
"Sweet! Want to fund my start up gerbil ranch/marijuana dispensary/whatever?"

- Will Rogers
Old 09-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post

Never saw it. That cover would not work since it is too close to my current day job.

- Will Rogers
Old 09-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

In which case, you must be pretty used to invoking the minding of beeswax, as Bestwifeever recommends...

Amethyst

Quote:
Never saw it. That cover would not work since it is too close to my current day job.