The downside of a cover story

People are often making conversation and don't really care what others are doing. We also look at things from our own frame of reference so people who are Brewer's age and working will expect the same of others in their cohort. Imho your story should be the truth, that you worked toward this goal of pampered indulgence with dogs and guns and your plans came to fruition. Or just say mind your own beeswax.

I do. So do a lot of people on this and other forums.

If they don't want to hear about it, then just don't talk to them about it.

No comment. :)

I will say this though: It sounds like the truth is not far from the cover story. You're saying (unless I misunderstand) that you're retiring, but you may get into some little side venture, whether for interest or a little cash. You're not sure what you might do yet, you're still sort of tossing ideas around in your head. Okay. That sounds reasonable. I'm not sure why that needs embellishment.

I think telling stories just makes things more complicated. You're already noticing that telling a "cover story" to family members means that you have to then cover that cover story with other stories (the "oh what a tangled web we weave" problem).

Bottom line for me is, retirement is good for you. It is a good thing. It is much healthier than your work. You've worked hard many years at a miserable job to earn the priviledge of retiring. You don't need to apologize to anyone for that. If they want to get judgmental about the fact that you're retired, well, expletive them.

The other reason for a cover story is safety. DW is a career counselor by trade and she tells me that if I need to go back to work in the next 5 years I would have a much easier time if I have a plausible occupation on my resume as opposed to a giant gap. The first 5 years is probably the critical period for us, given the sequence of returns problem, so if I can get past the next 5 years without a crash I will likely be able to just tell people I get along via the miracle of the loafs and the fishes (I loafs and I fishes and its a miracle I get along).

The other reason for a cover story is safety. DW is a career counselor by trade and she tells me that if I need to go back to work in the next 5 years I would have a much easier time if I have a plausible occupation on my resume as opposed to a giant gap.
This is a legitimate reason. Even with a high demand skill set it is always easier to find a new job when one is employed. Working with a spouse also gives a credible and unchallengeable response when asked "why are you leaving?" (We prefer not to work together any longer).

As for friend and family member suggestions, get used to it. It might even get worse before it gets better.

I guess it depends on what you do for a living. If you do something where you can show a portfolio of work, employment with a company you own, certifications, licenses, volunteer work, open source contributions, successful commercial products or some combination, that might look better on a resume than I worked at X company for the last 5 years, which I spent going to meetings and creating reports no one ever really looked at.

The other reason for a cover story is safety. DW is a career counselor by trade and she tells me that if I need to go back to work in the next 5 years I would have a much easier time if I have a plausible occupation on my resume as opposed to a giant gap. The first 5 years is probably the critical period for us, given the sequence of returns problem, so if I can get past the next 5 years without a crash I will likely be able to just tell people I get along via the miracle of the loafs and the fishes (I loafs and I fishes and its a miracle I get along).

In your reply to my earlier comment,you said that you are pretty certain that your DW is completely in agreement with your retirement plans. Yet, here is another statement that might imply that she might still have some underlying issues with your complete retirement.Perhaps it's just a little bit of nagging worry about things being all good to go. I believe that you believe she is completely on board,but sometimes the actual execution of a plan can cause a case of the last minute jitters. In any case, it seems your DW might feel a little more comfortable thinking you might return to the workforce.

I hope it all works out for you,and you both are comfortable with whatever happens:)

Last edited:
In your reply to my earlier comment,you said that you are pretty certain that your DW is completely in agreement with your retirement plans. Yet, here is another statement that might imply that she might still have some underlying issues with your complete retirement.Perhaps it's just a little bit of nagging worry about things being all good to go. I believe that you believe she is completely on board,but sometimes the actual execution of a plan can cause a case of the last minute jitters. In any case, it seems your DW might feel a little more comfortable thinking you might return to the workforce.

I hope it all works out for you,and you both are comfortable with whatever happens:)
I know nothing about Brewers home front, but I do know that not many women with small children would be doing somersaults if they found their young professional husbands packing it in.

I did the exact same thing, and I don't really recommend it for marriage cohesion building. Though, as everyone knows, MMV.

Ha

Congrats Brewer. I didn't realize you were ready to ER already.

The other reason for a cover story is safety. DW is a career counselor by trade and she tells me that if I need to go back to work in the next 5 years I would have a much easier time if I have a plausible occupation on my resume as opposed to a giant gap.

But how is that a cover story? If you're actually working somewhere (e.g., with your wife), so that you have something on your resume, isn't that the truth then and not a cover story?

That's curious. I made a bad joke up thread about Brewer giving the cover story of becoming a gov't employee, and hinting at CIA. That post is now gone.

Maybe I was to close to home...

That's curious. I made a bad joke up thread about Brewer giving the cover story of becoming a gov't employee, and hinting at CIA. That post is now gone.

No record or indication of any deleted posts on this thread. Maybe it was gobbled up by the internets.

One of us going back to full time work is one of our many contingency plans, and we are both on board with it. We have a joint life expectancy of at least 40 years (probably a good bit longer), so multiple contingencies seem wise to us. This is simply part of the plan, which will likely be modified over time as circumstances change. I have the nagging worries, too, and they are mostly related to the challenge of funding a 40 to 50 year retirement.

Never saw it. That cover would not work since it is too close to my current day job.

In which case, you must be pretty used to invoking the minding of beeswax, as Bestwifeever recommends...

Amethyst

Never saw it. That cover would not work since it is too close to my current day job.

No record or indication of any deleted posts on this thread. Maybe it was gobbled up by the internets.

My computer must've eaten it. Oh well, not one of my wittier posts anyhow.

In which case, you must be pretty used to invoking the minding of beeswax, as Bestwifeever recommends...

Amethyst

Oddly enough people are very accepting when they have to stay out of big brother's business, but when it comes to my business it is often a different story.

Just tell them you are deep undercover and if you discuss it you will have to eliminate them.

Or, tell them you got an offer from a competing gov't too share some info that was too good to refuse; and your new boss, Boris, prefers you don't discuss it.

OTOH, that might be a bit dangerous. Could be taken seriously.

Or, tell them you got an offer from a competing gov't too share some info that was too good to refuse; and your new boss, Boris, prefers you don't discuss it.

OTOH, that might be a bit dangerous. Could be taken seriously.

On the whole, I think telling people I am DW's CFO is better.

On the whole, I think telling people I am DW's CFO is better.

I get the impression that your DW operates a home business. I think it will be difficult for people not to see your new "CFO" position (or whatever cover story you make up) as a big step down from your current job which sounds prestigious. I doubt that it will do much to stop the new career suggestions and business opportunities from coming.

After 3 years of "unemployment", I spend less and less time polishing my cover story. I am very comfortable with my decision to not work. It was not the case at the beginning. Many people criticized my decision and the cover story was a way to deflect those criticisms. Today those criticisms have proven unfounded so the cover story has lost its purpose.

Back
Top Bottom