Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-25-2007, 10:08 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I didn't say "stupid".. I said "innumerate", which I think is due to in part to intellectual laziness and in part because math life skills are probably not emphasized and valued in school. So aside from the truly mentally challenged, we have a whole passle of "average" people who don't have the tools to seriously assess their CC or mortgage contract. They can easily be distracted by the shiny object: the $40k car at $299/mo. vs. the $30k car at $399/mo.? Pick one.

The entire society is filled with anti-intellectualism. Do you want to hang with the jocks or the nerds? Do you want a president that's "wonky" or one "you can have a beer with"? I think a lot of kids experience peer pressure to NOT excel. Homework is for chumps and stooges. Being a "know-it-all" is uncool and makes others feel insecure, so they'll try to drag everyone down to a comfortable level.

Sis wrote me:
Quote:
Just had to share my conversation with the young teacher across the hall.....

I told her I was moving and would be selling my air conditioner... and that it took me a long time to find one that would fit the small upstairs windows we all have.

She asked me if you plug it in.
I think girls and women sometimes sell themselves short because 'ditzy' is more acceptable and cute and non-threatening. I think guys sometimes have chips on their shoulders and are more likely to have an unrealistic picture of their financial or intellectual skills.

I don't know how or why there are so many barely functional people out there, but someone is taking care of them, graduating them, paying them, promoting them...

This is not just in the US btw.. In Italy, I was told by a friend of DH that I had a "character defect" because I wanted to know what the Italian word for "barnacle" was. Barnacles are all over the world. They cause billions of dollars in damage and slowdowns for shipping. For a few days I asked everyone we came across, probably about 50 Italians, and no one could give me a name either in Italian or in a local dialect. We were vacationing in a town that was very near the sea!!! They said "oh, you mean mussels?".. or they said "yeah, I know what you're talking about.. they're mineral incrustations!" I even drew pictures for them! The majority was completely incurious and just shrugged, a few seemed a little embarrassed for not knowing, and a couple, like DH and his friend, were downright irritated. Why did I need to know that? It was not "useful". I was defective, not them!

As far as finances go, generally speaking Italians buy houses or leave their money in the bank at 1%. The stock market is "too risky"!

They also like annuities.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

According to Google
Old 09-25-2007, 02:50 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

According to Google

It's cirripede.

Mike D.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:31 PM   #63

According to Babel Fish, Italian for barnacle is: "barnacle".
Old 09-25-2007, 05:38 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
Few people are mathematically equipped to deal with the most important purchase in their lives despite the fact that most people undertake it.
Firsthand evidence supporting your point: on a recent thread [http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...nce-30146.html], we have a new member who says he has a mortgage but confesses that he has no idea how to calculate his net worth.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:49 PM   #65

Easy on women and the math topic... Some of us "ditzy chicks" have several years of college calculus through diff-e-q (differential equations for the non engineering geeks) and all the cool mech engineering and physics stuff behind us - but when it comes to "financial" math, well, honestly it bores the bejeezus out of me (right along with statistics) where is the smiley for eyes glazed over?...and I do rely on existing formulas and calculators for specific calculations. But is that not the case for most mathmetical calculations?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:23 AM   #66

MikeD.. a barnacle is a cirripede, which is a Class (actually a subclass) of animal.
It's like saying a whale is a cetacean. True but not useful.

Loosely:
Cirri-pede => hairy foot
The Class is Maxillopoda => jaw foot

Milton: exactly!! Plus who can count all the perfectly smart people here who tell stories of parents and siblings in deep financial trouble?? Shows that genetics and environment aren't at fault, so what is it?
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote