Join Early Retirement Today

Re: The It-Sucks-To-Be-Me Generation
Old 01-11-2006, 06:01 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Heyyy...good question.

Wife was telling me about someone on either oprah or dr phil yesterday, maybe we should just call the show "dr oprahs view" and round it all up.

Apparently these bible thumpers had been having oral sex, and their minister told them that this was not in fact sex (uhh...what about all that sodomy stuff I remember from bible school? Has that been removed from the new...new testament?) I've alkways figured that anything with the word "sex" in it is probably sex. For sure, anything that involves removing someones pants and sticking some part of themselves inside of some part of someone else qualifies.

So anyhow, they 'slipped' and had real sex and ended up rushing to get married only to discover that they hated each others guts and want to get a divorce. When things werent working out, they decided to have and did have a second child. This somehow failed to magically fix their incompatibility problems and unrealistic expectations.

Would you believe the guy just sits around on the couch all day playing video games and that it frequently takes him 9 months to finish a one week project?

Bastard.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2006, 06:41 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl
Wow, what's the rush with everything these days? *I always find it unusual when kids want to get married so young. *I'm a firm believer that kids should finish school, have a steady job and be a bit more "worldly" before taking the plunge. *Just my 2 cents.... *
I totally agree.* Unfortunately, I've done all those things.* I finished law school 4 years ago.* I've bought my house already.* I'm going on 30 years old.* I've dated a number of women.* Now, I'm really serious with my girlfriend, and everyone's pushing us to get married.* And unfortunately I can't really justifiably keep saying, "I'm too young!* I haven't even lived yet!"

Sorry, just my personal angst shining through!

Old 01-11-2006, 07:03 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()

Apparently these bible thumpers had been having oral sex, and their minister told them that this was not in fact sex (uhh...what about all that sodomy stuff I remember from bible school?* Has that been removed from the new...new testament?)* I've alkways figured that anything with the word "sex" in it is probably sex.* For sure, anything that involves removing someones pants and sticking some part of themselves inside of some part of someone else qualifies.
Better check with Bill Clinton on the definition..................
Old 01-11-2006, 07:13 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't want to swap my opportunities and hardships with the ones that faced my father when he was my age, or his father, or his father's father, etc. etc. All things considered I think we're pretty damned lucky.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:49 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go
I wouldn't want to swap my opportunities and hardships with the ones that faced my father when he was my age, or his father, or his father's father, etc. etc.* All things considered I think we're pretty damned lucky.*
Amen
Old 01-11-2006, 08:38 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Tortfeasor
And unfortunately I can't really justifiably keep saying, "I'm too young!* I haven't even lived yet!"
Sure you can. There are folks out there who have slept with 1000s of partners. Tell you gal pal that you aspire to be like them.. Soon your poroblem will be over.

Ha
Old 01-11-2006, 08:43 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
Now to top it off, Sunday they came asking to borrow the security deposit!!
Seems they expect everything instantaneously and have no sense of working for it.
Just my personal experience.
Phew, hope you don't get more of that kind of experience. *

Sounds like they'll learn more from you telling them that you can't loan them the deposit... unless that means they'll "have" to move back in with you. *I'm not looking forward to being confronted with that situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard
I am not the only one who knows a young person just putting in time until some Grand Father or other relative dies and they expect some cash?
I tell our kid that she gets all our dough when we croak, but that she'll have to wait until she's 80!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Tortfeasor
I totally agree. Unfortunately, I've done all those things. I finished law school 4 years ago. I've bought my house already. I'm going on 30 years old. I've dated a number of women. Now, I'm really serious with my girlfriend, and everyone's pushing us to get married. And unfortunately I can't really justifiably keep saying, "I'm too young! I haven't even lived yet!"
I've traveled the world, I've run with the bulls, I've skied the Rockies, I've bought liquor stores (not the businesses, just the contents), and if I want wild chandelier-swinging group sex then I know just the place down on Ke'eamoku Street.

Feh. You ain't lived a life worth living until you've juggled marriage, parenthood, work, and an unexpected surprise adversely impacting one of the first three.

And after I feel like I've mastered those challenges, then I'll be ready to go back downtown...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:14 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
Wonder what born-again fundamentalist Christians are doing boinking out of wedlock?
I think they "converted" from regular fundamentalist Christians after the first kid or two. Something about the snake-handling and speaking in tongues thing really appealed to them.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:58 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Slightly off topic, but should be considered.

Prime child bearing years are in your 20's.

Sperm, and especially eggs have a best before date!

Old 01-12-2006, 07:13 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
And then when they are short a few hundred or thousand dollars for their rent/new car payment/ Bestbuy CC payment, they'll come running to you for another cash infusion.* Economic Outpatient Care - dangerous thing!*
Agreed.* I would tell them that if they're old enough to get married then they are old enough to pay for their own security deposit.

I guess spouse and I got married fairly young (22/23), but didn't take a dime from anyone.* It wasn't even an option and we had to use debt to boot strap ourselves through college and into adult life.* * Lived in one bedroom apartments until we were 29 and are still using hand-me-down furniture.* It sure was a struggle early on and we made some mistakes, but 9 years later we have pretty fat retirement accounts and feel on top of the world financially.* We keep looking at each other and asking "Can things get any better?"* The big thing is that we have the satisfaction of knowing that everything we've accomplished has been due to our own hard work.

OTOH, brother-in-law is almost 30 and has received economic outpatient care his whole life.* Still lives at home with no education and no viable career options.* In additional to breeding laziness and a sense of entitlement I can see that the situation has been slowly damaging his self esteem (which breeds more resentment and entitlement).* * It's an awful situation.* *If you have any say in the matter, stop the madness now.* Adults should pay their own way - period!
Old 01-13-2006, 09:09 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowGirl
Agreed.* I would tell them that if they're old enough to get married then they are old enough to pay for their own security deposit....

...*If you have any say in the matter, stop the madness now.* Adults should pay their own way - period!
My point exactly.* It seems they have found another place that is less expensive.* We will be giving them cash as a wedding gift as will some others, so my opinion is that should cover the security deposit.*

As far as having any say - I have decided my position as evil step-spouse is to give an opinion once, and then shut up.* I generally agree with how things have gone - given that I came into the picture relatively late.* *

It's also hard for me to say too much since my parents have always been generous in helping me, although I never, ever asked for anything, they occasionally offered, or checks just arrived in the mail which I didn't return.* *At times I tried to hide how bad I was doing because I didn't want them to swoop in and rescue me.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:19 AM   #52

Remember the Eagle!

The baby is fed by Mother Eagle bringing her catch to the nest, high up in the trees to protect it. Mom Eagle keeps bringing her prey there until one day she decides it's time for Baby Eagle to fly. So, she takes or pushes the fledgling out of the nest. It's fly or die. Teach your children to be eagles!

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:21 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
Those are my years and the things I remember too BUT I made it out alive like you did, a little wiser but then that comes with age.

Oh and you forgot Woodstock
Living not far from Woodstock (really), I agree with you and Have Funds...., tho my years were a bit behind. Started school in '67 and remember the same nightly news....

I know this thread has had its own purpose, and I enjoy it. But keep in mind that people can't be known by a generation generalization. I've been Baby Boomer and Generation X, depending on the year and the media. The only thing I know is The Pill made a big difference between my next older brother and me as far as our suburban school went.... My class had 20% fewer students in an otherwise growing town..... And it's followed me all my life, things changing between his encounter with whatever and my turn with it......

I'm not complaining. I like getting older and I hope I always do.

kate
Old 01-13-2006, 10:25 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Agreed...

My take on getting older is that there's only one other alternative...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:33 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat
Living not far from Woodstock (really), I agree with you and Have Funds...., tho my years were a bit behind. Started school in '67 and remember the same nightly news....

The only thing I know is The Pill made a big difference between my next older brother and me as far as our suburban school went.... My class had 20% fewer students in an otherwise growing town..... .

kate
Interesting era in the 60s. When I started college in 68 we could have female visitors in the dorm for two hours on Sunday with the door open. Four years later we had a coed dorm, even same floor. The pill may have led to fewer kids but there was at least a 50% increase in other activities. Interesting time to be alive.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:34 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
Agreed...

My take on getting older is that there's only one other alternative...
Two, I think. But I've met a few sour pusses, which makes me think I don't ever want to be like that. I hope it sticks...... know what I mean?
Old 01-13-2006, 10:51 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Heh heh

A sour puss - with class - THAT BE A 'CURMUDGEON!'

Now that's worth shooting for!

Now a grumpy old curmudgeon - that is like a general with more stars than another general.

heh heh heh heh
Old 01-13-2006, 12:18 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Heh heh

A sour puss - with class - THAT BE A 'CURMUDGEON!'

Now that's worth shooting for!

Now a grumpy old curmudgeon - that is like a general with more stars than another general.

heh heh heh heh
Is curmudgeon gender-neutral? Or do we have to be curmudgeonesses?
Old 01-13-2006, 03:10 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
Is curmudgeon gender-neutral? Or do we have to be curmudgeonesses?
If you put her on a pedestal she becomes a Curmudgeonress.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:00 AM   #60

Before this thread dies completely, I found this statement from the article particularly interesting:

Quote:
Today's twentysomethings, by contrast, have their whole lives in front of them. Want a cheaper house? Quit Manhattan and move to Hartford, Conn. Want to make more money? Pick a different field.
I happen to agree with the author on this one. When it comes to life, you can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want. The average 20-something can't afford to buy in Manhattan, nor is any respectable employer going to pay $35k+ a year for an American Literature major.

He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote