Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a list though I call it, "Things to Do Before I Die." Seems to command a little more respect that way. Most of it is travel related, but not all. It's not a must do list, but more of a wish list. If I don't do that stuff, not the end of the world, but I'd like too.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I believe its called "Waiting for God."
The list tends to clarify itself once one gets old. I have a friend who is rapidly going blind. His list is:

1)Get around on my own and not fall down or get mugged or hit by a car.
2)Try to maintain a positive attitude.
3)Try to hang onto old friends and make some some new ones too.

Ha

Old 01-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I've always had a bucket list though I didn't call it that. I posted it in an earlier thread, but I'm not sure why anyone would care about someone else's list. I've completed 69 milestones/experiences so far, many more to go, always adding to it - seems key to me, I'd hate to ever complete my list - then what?
Oh, just curious. It's interesting to me that some people are pretty religious about their list, both in terms of writing stuff down and then executing, and some people really don't even have particular plans in their heads.

I suspect I'm going to need a period of time of not doing much of anything at all. Kind of getting over the burn out of having to get things done whether I felt like it or not. But eventually I probably will glance back at the list and see if those ideas still interest me.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizzyC View Post
and some people really don't even have particular plans in their heads.
That's because some (most?) of us learned at the Mike Tyson school:

“Everyone has plans until they get punched in the face.”
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:22 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Right now I'm just trying to get through the next two months and keep my sanity. I hate cold weather. This time of year I go outside to go to work and buy food. That's it.
Here's something that helps me get through it.

Sun or Moon Rise/Set Table for One Year: U.S. Cities and Towns — Naval Oceanography Portal

It's a link to a table of sunrise/sunset times published by the Navy. You can type in your town, and it will give the the times relative to your location. Just knowing that the sun will set a minute or two later each day, or will rise a minute earlier every few days is encouraging to me. Right now we're in a phase where rate of change on the sun setting later is greater than the rate of change of the sun rising earlier, and in general we're getting about an extra minute of daylight per day. In February, the rate of change of the sun rising earlier wil outpace the rate of the sun setting later. Kind of fun, check it out.

Oh-- and spring is coming. Yesterday while out walking the dog I saw the first fully open Magnolia flower on a tree covered with buds!
Old 01-13-2011, 04:07 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If I had to write it down I probably didn't want to do it that much anyway.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:28 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

[QUOTE=haha;1022380]The list tends to clarify itself once one gets old. /QUOTE]

How right you are, Ha!
Old 01-13-2011, 06:33 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

No bucket list here, but I have an informal goal of just doing something new once in a while. This past summer, that meant visiting places nearby that I've never been to before: exploring local towns, hiking trails, museums, etc. This winter I'm expanding my cooking repertoire and trying some new things. Guess I've never been a goal oriented person, I just go with whatever takes my interest at the moment.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:19 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=vicente solano;1023974]
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
The list tends to clarify itself once one gets old. /QUOTE]

How right you are, Ha!
BTW, when that happens, it is because of the missing "[" in front of "/QUOTE]. I have learned to watch for that when highlighting and deleting the last part of a quoted passage -- you must do the final character separately.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:54 AM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

Here's a few things for me:

1) Accomplish as many mountaineering and climbing goals as possible.
2) Continue to meet people that I click with, and treasure those relationships
3) Constantly further my education, never let a year long period slip where I'm not learning something new
4) Have excellent physical fitness and health into my 50s and 60s
5) Find a way to contribute in creating a more sustainable world
Old 06-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #31

At age 72 my bucket list consists of "seeing" 85. Seriously I never thougth of making a bucket list until I saw this thread so now I have a bucket list and the #1 item is finish making a bucket list.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Gee, some of these posts are giving me flashbacks from w*rk, as in setting performance goals for the coming year.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:25 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't have an official bucket list, and I am still working. Still, I have (in my head) a long list of places to which I want to travel (Argentina, Peru and Belize top the list right now), and there are things I want to do in time (read the "classic" books I have never read - in the middle of War and Peace, currently; learn to SCUBA dive etc).

I don't need to write these things down to remember that I want to do them.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Gee, some of these posts are giving me flashbacks from w*rk, as in setting performance goals for the coming year.
My pre-retirement list had some goals with timelines and many not. My post-retirement list is all goals with no timelines. I may not tackle them all (so what) and those I attempt, some I will lose interest in quickly and others with "take." Doesn't seem like work at all, just a little inspiration. And who knows, I may do things that aren't even on the list, imagine that...YMMV

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I do have an official Bucket List. I keep it at the top of my FIRE planning worksheet as motivation.

Bucket ListMore things to ride
  • fly in a helocopter
  • ride in a Hot air baloon
  • catch a salmon in Alaska
  • fly a fighter plane
  • catch a Tarpon in the Florida keys
  • snowmobile
  • catch a bone fish
  • parasail
  • Visit Italy with DW
  • Segway
  • *get back in shape
  • drive a Cobra?
  • XVacation in Hawaii with DW.
  • XHang glide off dunes of Kitty Hawk
  • XRide in a birchbark canoe with an indian Chief & my dad
  • Xfly in an ultralight hang-glider (in Hawaii)
  • Xdrive a Ferrari
  • become debt free!
I put an X in front of each as they are achieved.