Join Early Retirement Today
The Real Reasons You're Working So Hard
Old 09-28-2005, 09:35 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The Real Reasons You're Working So Hard

I read this today on Yahoo Finance. It has some good points about why those of us on the Corp. treadmill are working so hard.

The crux of the article is that technology has progressed at a much faster rate than management's ability to delegate their responsibility to those given the task to make things happen as quickly as possible. The end result is worker-bees run around like crazy trying to keep up with data and communications but management is lagging far behind in being able to effectively manage at the speed required to succeed in today's global market place.

I would agree with most of what was stated having been there and done that myself. However, I made my move to a different type of company and the data overload is far less as are the hours required to keep the boss happy.

Work? I don't have time to work....I'm retired.
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: The Real Reasons You're Working So Hard
Old 10-11-2005, 07:28 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
Re: The Real Reasons You're Working So Hard

Technology has rendered most upper middle managers obsolete....the problem is they haven't gone away. So the allegedly "empowered" people who do the work spend an inordinate amount of their time trying to get the egos up to speed on the business, & convince them that the right course of action really was their idea all along. Can't say I miss that....accountability without decision space wasn't much fun.

markplus4 is offline   Reply With Quote