Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #181
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
We used to have morning module meetings (and I believe the other shift had them, too) wherein anywhere from ten to twenty-five people sat around for an hour, explaining an outdated lot hold/machine down report to a module manager who didn't know the difference between a microchip and a potato chip. This meeting was replicated in every fab, by every process module, corporation-wide.
Try explaining software intricacies to a PHB who is afraid of computers and dislikes female techies.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #182
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ah, I just had to share this one:

Over a year ago I worked on a project that you read about in the news. It required countless hours of (uncompensated) overtime, tons of stress, and lots of career risk if it did not go well. We never got so much as a thank you, but I wrote it off as a contribution to the greater good/organizational mission and stomped down my resentment.

I got an email today asking for my t shirt size. They have decided to hand out a comemorative t shirt and certificate to those of us who worked on the project. WTF?

And they cannot fathom why morale is in the sub basement.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:50 PM   #183
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post

Over a year ago I worked on a project that you read about in the news. It required countless hours of (uncompensated) overtime, tons of stress, and lots of career risk if it did not go well. We never got so much as a thank you, but I wrote it off as a contribution to the greater good/organizational mission and stomped down my resentment.

I got an email today asking for my t shirt size. They have decided to hand out a comemorative t shirt and certificate to those of us who worked on the project. WTF?

For one project they offered mugs, but we had to pay for them. Are your shirts free?
Old 07-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #184
Give me a forum ...

Thus far, they have not asked for payment. Actually, I am wondering what it would fetch on Ebay.

- Will Rogers
Old 07-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #185
Recycles dryer sheets

Texas Proud posted---Since people are putting phrases out there... we all got T shirts with the new catch phrase for our group... 4 words... two on each arm sleave..

"Better, Faster Easier, Cheaper"...

NOW, women... what would YOU think others would think of you wearing this T shirt

Well I can't answer for that T shirt---but we got one that said "Just Ask"

The shirt went straight to the rag bag for a cleaning rag---fortunately no one asked me about the shirt, because I might have answered!
Old 07-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #186
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thus far, they have not asked for payment. Actually, I am wondering what it would fetch on Ebay.
There are far more satisfying ways to enjoy this t-shirt than financial ones.
1. Does your spouse want the commemorative t-shirt?
2. Would this be free clothing for fast-growing kids?
3. Could you have one of your own commentaries silk-screened on the rest of the t-shirt?
4. Is there anyone else at the company who needs one of those t-shirts with your own commentary added to it?
5. How in the world does your employer expect to keep this out of Dilbert or the NYT?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #187
Give me a forum ...

Actually, I was thinking of silk screening "the beatings will continue until morale improves" on the back.

- Will Rogers
Old 07-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #188
Confused about dryer sheets

Been retired a year. Even if it's something recreational, I still try to time it so I don't wake to an alarm clock. Once I had to set it to catch a flight....and I had forgotten how! It was wonderfult to realize that....I still wake early but when my BODY is ready!
Old 07-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #189
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

At least you can wear the T-shirt or use it to clean your windows. What are you supposed to do with those cheap acrylic trophies you get for " a job well done"? Only 3 more days to go...
Old 07-27-2010, 07:41 PM   #190
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
At least you can wearthea T-shirt or at least use it to clean your windows. What are you supposed to do with those cheap acrylic trophies you get for " a job well done"? Only 3 more days to go...
You lucky bastard.

- Will Rogers
Old 07-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #191
Full time employment: Posting here.

Three More Days !!!
FireDreamer, have you got a silly smile on your face?
Steve
Old 07-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #192
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You lucky bastard.
I know it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc
Three More Days !!!
FireDreamer, have you got a silly smile on your face?
Not yet! My office is all cleaned out, but I still have to tie too many loose ends to really enjoy the moment. It should start to hit me next week though!
Old 07-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #193
Moderator Emeritus

Time for a name change, FD?
Old 07-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #194
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Time for a name change, FD?
I don't know if I will ever believe that FIRE is anything but a dream!
Old 07-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #195
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I don't know if I will ever believe that FIRE is anything but a dream!
That's one of the best parts, you can dream later in the morning.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:01 PM   #196
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
That's one of the best parts, you can dream later in the morning.
For a late riser like me, this is indeed one of the best parts!
Old 07-27-2010, 09:14 PM   #197
Administrator

3 more days? How exciting!!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #198
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
For one project they offered mugs, but we had to pay for them. Are your shirts free?
In 1985 I gave up a number of MY weekends (10-12) working 10-12+ hour days doing software work Saturdays and Sundays that allowed the company to cut-over to hardware that allowed the company to get an investment tax credit (the amount of which I am unaware) that had to be installed before Dec 31, 1985 in order to qualify for the credit. Of course I had to continue to perform my regular Monday - Friday duties during this time. The reward: a lunch at Baby Does Matchless Mine in Dallas (a nice place for lunch at the time), a coffee cup with the company logo and a small plaque that said something like "Thanks For A Job Well Done".

At least they didn't charge us for the lunch and plaque -- well, it didn't show up on any check.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #199
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
A few years back someone actually sold one of our "company rewards" on EBay for about $30. We were all pretty amazed that 1) someone would have the guts to do it and 2) someone would actually buy it.....
Old 07-28-2010, 11:08 AM   #200

Reminds me of a CFO I worked with (but never reported to) that said after a tough quarterly performance review “This would be such a great place to work if it weren’t for customers that bitched about everything and employees that whined all the time. Why don’t they all just shut up and stop bothering me”. Kinda think he would fit right in where Brewer works...

Gotta admit, though, that a one year late t-shirt is pretty bad.