Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Gotta admit, though, that a one year late t-shirt is pretty bad.
Don't forget the certificate that will be coming wth the shirt. 10 cents worth of paper and ink a year plus late will really make a difference.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2010, 11:10 AM   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Don't forget the certificate that will be coming wth the shirt. 10 cents worth of paper and ink a year plus late will really make a difference.
Made my day.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #203
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
We never got so much as a thank you, but I wrote it off as a contribution to the greater good/organizational mission and stomped down my resentment.

I got an email today asking for my t shirt size. They have decided to hand out a comemorative t shirt and certificate to those of us who worked on the project. WTF?

And they cannot fathom why morale is in the sub basement.
I don't know why anyone would find the T-shirt and certificate to be offensive; it is simply the thank you that was not extended previously.

I do agree that the year's delay is ridiculous; but better late than never. And when you work in a big bureaucracy you either learn to accept that sort of thing, or you move on to where things are done with a greater sense of urgency.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:56 AM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
I don't know why anyone would find the T-shirt and certificate to be offensive; it is simply the thank you that was not extended previously.

I do agree that the year's delay is ridiculous; but better late than never. And when you work in a big bureaucracy you either learn to accept that sort of thing, or you move on to where things are done with a greater sense of urgency.
Recognition needs to be timely and reward should have some meaning. This case, and others mentioned, have failed on both counts and are clearly counterproductive. IOW, it would have been better to do nothing.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:55 PM   #205

As I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
When you work in a big bureaucracy you either learn to accept that sort of thing, or you move on to where things are done with a greater sense of urgency.
Sad but true.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #206
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So now we're talking a collectible with provenance? eBay, I mean, oboy!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:49 PM   #207
Recycles dryer sheets

I work for a global firm, and sit in cube hell.

1. Coworkers who bring their personal problems to work.
2. Reviews, Goal setting.
3. Office politics, back stabbing, sucking up.
4. Incompetent coworkers.
5. Upper management who know less than you do about the industry.
6. Hot office trends (Greening, charity work) They force us to do this so they can brag about it for publicity. Charitable giving of time/money should not be forced and should be genuinely done.
7. Commuting downtown everyday when my job can be done working from home.
8. <Placeholder for many more to come>
Old 07-28-2010, 10:32 PM   #208
Full time employment: Posting here.

The more I think about it. The more I think Jacob Lund Fisker's blog entry was/is right; we have an oversupply of labor. And not just as an explanation for the unemployed.

This is causing the incredible amounts of busy work, workplace stupidity, etc.

-CC
Old 07-28-2010, 11:31 PM   #209

Getting yelled at to my face because while training a co-worker she decided that my asking her, a compute science graduate, if she knew basic Unix utilities such as vi or cp offended her. Turned out she didn't, so I was screwed either I presumed she had the knowledge in which case she would have sat there and looked pissed like she did during the last 20 minutes of the training or if had I presumed that she didn't know the basics and asked some clarifying questions so that we could get on with the training.

This happened after she had asked for the demonstration and after I had prefaced that the procedure is new because I knew how irritable she can get when something is complicated because the previous two times I left her to finish new methods and procedures by putting her in touch with external teams, she came back yelling in my face about how the procedures are complicated and undocumented. Yes, thanks, I made them that way so that I can enjoy being yelled at, and the company pays you because everything is wrapped in neat little gift boxes with a bow on top. Now you may ask why did I leave such a person in charge of completing new processes? Because she was spewing venom about how her current manager kept trying to keep her away from external teams to prevent her from building a company-wide reputation.

The kicker was finding out that she filed an HR complaint against me for harassing her. Trust me lady, there are single women I don't even hit on at work because I'm not stupid. Why would I bother hitting on a married woman that I don't even find attractive? This is the same woman who insisted on showing me a picture of a one of her facebook friends who is not her husband because, and I quote, "He's such a hottie."

Turns out the HR person found that the woman made up 90% of the complaints. I will not miss this former "friend" or work when I pull the plug.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:08 AM   #210

Quote:
This is why they pay me the Liliputian bucks...
Dude, you and I both will need to skip the CFA annual salary survey this year to keep up the illusion.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:00 AM   #211
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Dude, you and I both will need to skip the CFA annual salary survey this year to keep up the illusion.
Eh, when they see my employer classification the data will get ignored anyway.

- Will Rogers
Old 07-29-2010, 07:29 AM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I know it!

Not yet! My office is all cleaned out, but I still have to tie too many loose ends to really enjoy the moment. It should start to hit me next week though!
You'll know you're FIRE'd when....
I know you want to sleep late. But heck get up Monday morning grab a bathrobe, lawn chair, donut, and coffee. Go to your old place of employment, sit in the parking lot and wave at all the poor bastards showing up for work. Don't forget to send us a pic!
Old 07-30-2010, 08:18 AM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius King View Post
Hot office trends (Greening, charity work) They force us to do this so they can brag about it for publicity. Charitable giving of time/money should not be forced and should be genuinely done.
+1
Old 07-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #214
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM View Post
You'll know you're FIRE'd when....
I know you want to sleep late. But heck get up Monday morning grab a bathrobe, lawn chair, donut, and coffee. Go to your old place of employment, sit in the parking lot and wave at all the poor bastards showing up for work. Don't forget to send us a pic!
Now, that would be mean!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:20 AM   #215
Give me a forum ...

Old 08-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
There is no crapper.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:35 AM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
That just about says it all, doesn't it?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #218

DH's ex-company has come up with a new one. Employees have been offered the chance to buy a stone to lay on a new pathway outside the HQ of said megacorp. These stones are each to say thank you to the founder of the company. I laughed my head off, if you were employee 1-2,000 you probably would be more than happy to buy said stone, but these employees all sailed off into the sunset years ago with their millions and are living the life of luxury. All the poor saps or joined in the 6 or 7 years have not made a cent on the options and are probably tired of being flogged to death for the benefit of the founder and his family, who occupy senior positions and many seats on the board.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #219
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
DH's ex-company has come up with a new one. Employees have been offered the chance to buy a stone to lay on a new pathway outside the HQ of said megacorp. These stones are each to say thank you to the founder of the company. I laughed my head off, if you were employee 1-2,000 you probably would be more than happy to buy said stone, but these employees all sailed off into the sunset years ago with their millions and are living the life of luxury. All the poor saps or joined in the 6 or 7 years have not made a cent on the options and are probably tired of being flogged to death for the benefit of the founder and his family, who occupy senior positions and many seats on the board.
Can you write whatever you wanton the stones?

The sad part is that they will probably get lots of kool aid guzzlers to buy stones.

- Will Rogers
Old 08-04-2010, 09:23 PM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
I don't think they've done one in a couple years. Have they?