Things I Will Not Miss

Creating PowerPoint presentations ........until 2 AM to make it just a little bit better than it was at 5 PM. :rolleyes:

Then, groveling in the meeting with the big guys, even though they didn't know half as much about the subject as I did

Weekend "emergency" phone calls, especially those that involved driving straight to the airport so someone else could say "we put a guy on a plane this weekend to take care of it". Of course no support is on site and you sit on your a$$ until Monday when you can actually start to fix the problem.

Pending layoffs when everyone keeps a low profile and whispers the latest rumors at the copy machine

Being up all night and being expected to continue as usual next day.
Lunatic family members of patients who threaten to kill us.
Report writing.
Grant writing.

The thing I do not miss the most is office politics. When I have lunch with former co-workers and they start telling all the s#*! going on back at the office, it really reminds me just how glad I am to be away from that now. :)

I just recently discovered that I don't need the clock radio within arm's reach. The only thing that cannot be done with the remote is the snooze button. Won't miss it and it keeps my mind sharp to figure out where the radio is as it can be placed anywhere now.

Last edited:
I don't miss trying to please someone else who I don't care about. Everything else was just minor.

Yeah, I too used to commute to midtown manhattan. Jersey Transit to the PATH, 1:20 to work, 1:40 home, turned into a pumpkin at midnight because I couldn't miss the last train home, so my nightlife was curtailed too. I read a lot and listened to a ton of music, but life got incredibly better when I moved to Hoboken and could stay out at night after work as late as I wanted.

It seems that anything that fills up a large chunk of your day that you can't choose not to do can become onerous, even if you can do things you enjoy during it like read.

1. Performance Reviews (just when you get one done, they send out reminders that the next one is coming up :nonono:)
2. Getting out of bed at 5 AM in the middle of winter when it's dark, snowing and -30F outside :hide:
3. Micro-Managers
4. Deadlines

Although I don't mind my long (45 minute) commute, I do hate the simple fact of being at work instead of anywhere else. I just wish I wasn't chained to the chair every day, like a rat in a wheel. The job doesn't suck, but I wish I wasn't here every day.

Although I don't mind my long (45 minute) commute, I do hate the simple fact of being at work instead of anywhere else. I just wish I wasn't chained to the chair every day, like a rat in a wheel. The job doesn't suck, but I wish I wasn't here every day.

A nice walk around the boardwalk around the harbor should help at lunchtime.......:)

...being sick and still having to drag my droopy butt to the office. :sick:

Lunatic family members of patients who threaten to kill us.
Oh boy. I said something really inappropriate to a Dr., under unique and very stressful circumstances.

Man, this is come list. Anybody having second thoughts or on the fence about ER just needs to check this list. Maybe they should make it a sticky.:)

I hate the evaluation process, it seems so demeaning, though I suppose there has been a time or two when someone made a good enough case for themself to improve their rating.

Reorgs and new mission statements and all that gorp that comes in exec emails and "all hands" meetings. We've looked for the moved cheese, entered the vortex or hurricane or whatever that one was, and so on. I stopped going to those all hands meetings. Emails get glanced at and discarded if I don't recognize the names, but I don't even know which letters of the alphabet soup my organization is these days. Then when an exec gets promoted, we see the storm of emails from all of the suckups who tell him "Well deserved!" and all that as they copy everyone on it.

The process involved to get a simple change put in the product. Somebody screws up once, and I have to go through another step in the process to make sure I don't do the same idiotic thing.

There used to be more things that bugged me but I simply stopped doing things that didn't matter. It may even cost me my bonus this time because I'm probably going to get ranked lower this time around because the productivity numbers the bean counters look at aren't so good for me, but I'd rather surf the net or do my stretching exercises to fill time than do something that's meaningless.

Ah, another "favorite:"

- get told to do a task, do it thoroughly and creatively, submit a well written report that actually helps other people doing the same work and get held up for 3 months because of comments that amount to "you used the wrong font" and "I can't understand basic accounting so your report is too complex for most readers."

I'm pretty sure this is one of the big reasons I'm here. You put so much in and then... Hey this font is wrong, and I wanted this other column totaled. You're in excel too buddy; the summation button works for both of us.

Oh yeah, and the "required training" for some new tool you'll use once a year or new step in the process. Many of them have quizzes at the end, so my group just shares tips like how to skip over the content to get to see the quiz questions, and then bring up the content in another window so you can quickly spot the answers to the questions. They are smart enough to randomize the quiz, otherwise we'd just share the answers and be done. For all I know the guys in the office do it, and I just miss that because I telecommute.

Give us a hint at least.
Details aren’t important.

H/She deserved it.
Kind of you to say that.

My thoughts, 29 years later

It is so very easy for civilized humans to become uncivilized again.

Doctors have a very difficult task, they have to make choices, and they are humans just like the rest of us.

I hate the evaluation process, it seems so demeaning, though I suppose there has been a time or two when someone made a good enough case for themself to improve their rating.

Assuming I stay here long enough, I will be squirming in anticipation of "360 feedback" being rolled out to my level at some point in the future (has come as far as middle management). This is where not only do you get reviewed by your boss, but you also get reviewed by colleagues and subordinates. Quadruple your pleasure...

Oh if there is a higher power, let me never work somewhere like that, Brewer. If I ever hear the words "team", "360 feedback", or "paradigm" I'm heading out the door! Ugh!

The large building with the concrete floors.
Ignorant misogynist Luddite PHB.
People who used so much cologne/perfume/aftershave I could detect their scent trails across the parking lot.
FB
Over stimulation of sight/sound/smell...
Having to re/learn names/faces/locations/duties every #$%^ time we reorganized.
Being 'promoted' to supervisor of a bunch of crazy christian fundamentalists.

I'm feeling much better now. :)

Boy.... this thread is growing fast and I bet will continue for a long time...

Not ERd... and am in a new place that I like even though I make less...

The one thing that did stick in me that I am glad not to deal with is a young manager who knows nothing about the job... they were put there because they were suckups to someone a LOT higher up that wanted her minions throughout the organization....

Sure, she was the one who laid me off... but she also laid off almost the whole group who had at a minimum 10 years experience... (heck, most were 15 to 20)... and she hired young people who tried... but did not know how to get things done...

It was funny... I got an email from someone I managed in London... she was over there to get them 'on board'... to do it the NY way... while over there they tried to explain to her some of the problems... she admitted she did not know accounting nor anything about foreign exchange... the guys said "how did you get your job since we do accounting and you have a $700 million foreign budget"... wished I could have been there :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom