Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2010, 11:46 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
The few, inevitable, inescapable nasty people.
...especially if they happen to be bosses.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Oh boy. I said something really inappropriate to a Dr., under unique and very stressful circumstances.
H/She deserved it.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:04 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I hate the evaluation process, it seems so demeaning, though I suppose there has been a time or two when someone made a good enough case for themself to improve their rating.

Reorgs and new mission statements and all that gorp that comes in exec emails and "all hands" meetings. We've looked for the moved cheese, entered the vortex or hurricane or whatever that one was, and so on. I stopped going to those all hands meetings. Emails get glanced at and discarded if I don't recognize the names, but I don't even know which letters of the alphabet soup my organization is these days. Then when an exec gets promoted, we see the storm of emails from all of the suckups who tell him "Well deserved!" and all that as they copy everyone on it.

The process involved to get a simple change put in the product. Somebody screws up once, and I have to go through another step in the process to make sure I don't do the same idiotic thing.

There used to be more things that bugged me but I simply stopped doing things that didn't matter. It may even cost me my bonus this time because I'm probably going to get ranked lower this time around because the productivity numbers the bean counters look at aren't so good for me, but I'd rather surf the net or do my stretching exercises to fill time than do something that's meaningless.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Ah, another "favorite:"

- get told to do a task, do it thoroughly and creatively, submit a well written report that actually helps other people doing the same work and get held up for 3 months because of comments that amount to "you used the wrong font" and "I can't understand basic accounting so your report is too complex for most readers."
I'm pretty sure this is one of the big reasons I'm here. You put so much in and then... Hey this font is wrong, and I wanted this other column totaled. You're in excel too buddy; the summation button works for both of us.
Coderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah, and the "required training" for some new tool you'll use once a year or new step in the process. Many of them have quizzes at the end, so my group just shares tips like how to skip over the content to get to see the quiz questions, and then bring up the content in another window so you can quickly spot the answers to the questions. They are smart enough to randomize the quiz, otherwise we'd just share the answers and be done. For all I know the guys in the office do it, and I just miss that because I telecommute.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #46
Administrator

Quote:
Give us a hint at least.
Details aren’t important.

Quote:
H/She deserved it.
Kind of you to say that.

My thoughts, 29 years later

It is so very easy for civilized humans to become uncivilized again.

Doctors have a very difficult task, they have to make choices, and they are humans just like the rest of us.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I hate the evaluation process, it seems so demeaning, though I suppose there has been a time or two when someone made a good enough case for themself to improve their rating.
Assuming I stay here long enough, I will be squirming in anticipation of "360 feedback" being rolled out to my level at some point in the future (has come as far as middle management). This is where not only do you get reviewed by your boss, but you also get reviewed by colleagues and subordinates. Quadruple your pleasure...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Oh if there is a higher power, let me never work somewhere like that, Brewer. If I ever hear the words "team", "360 feedback", or "paradigm" I'm heading out the door! Ugh!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:34 PM   #49
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
The large building with the concrete floors.
Ignorant misogynist Luddite PHB.
People who used so much cologne/perfume/aftershave I could detect their scent trails across the parking lot.
FB
Over stimulation of sight/sound/smell...
Having to re/learn names/faces/locations/duties every #$%^ time we reorganized.
Being 'promoted' to supervisor of a bunch of crazy christian fundamentalists.

I'm feeling much better now.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Boy.... this thread is growing fast and I bet will continue for a long time...

Not ERd... and am in a new place that I like even though I make less...

The one thing that did stick in me that I am glad not to deal with is a young manager who knows nothing about the job... they were put there because they were suckups to someone a LOT higher up that wanted her minions throughout the organization....

Sure, she was the one who laid me off... but she also laid off almost the whole group who had at a minimum 10 years experience... (heck, most were 15 to 20)... and she hired young people who tried... but did not know how to get things done...

It was funny... I got an email from someone I managed in London... she was over there to get them 'on board'... to do it the NY way... while over there they tried to explain to her some of the problems... she admitted she did not know accounting nor anything about foreign exchange... the guys said "how did you get your job since we do accounting and you have a $700 million foreign budget"... wished I could have been there
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Assuming I stay here long enough, I will be squirming in anticipation of "360 feedback" being rolled out to my level at some point in the future (has come as far as middle management). This is where not only do you get reviewed by your boss, but you also get reviewed by colleagues and subordinates. Quadruple your pleasure...
I've heard about this but never experienced it first hand. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Then when an exec gets promoted, we see the storm of emails from all of the suckups who tell him "Well deserved!" and all that as they copy everyone on it.
Just after I wrote this a promotion email came, and was followed with 12 "you're so wonderful" replies. And now our exec include their picture in the header of all emails so I get an extra 50-100K eaten into my email quota for each of them (because everyone has to include the original email) until I delete them. And don't get me started on email quotas.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Oh if there is a higher power, let me never work somewhere like that, Brewer. If I ever hear the words "team", "360 feedback", or "paradigm" I'm heading out the door! Ugh!
Yet curiously the shaved apes running this place cannot figure out why people are leaving in droves and they have a terrible lack of competent, up and coming junior management talent...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've experienced both the good and bad of this. The bad, one year they really weren't helpful. Everyone went through the motions and pretty much approached it as, "I won't say anything bad about you and you won't say anything bad about me." Or some folks would give criticism which others felt unjust....don't get mad..get even

The good. One year, we had this boss who should not have been in a position to manage. She would show up late, have temper tantrums, resorted to bullying to get her way. Well, with the 360 feedback time came along, we nailed her good (just giving our honest opinions). Guess her lesson was if she was willing to dish it out, she had to get ready to get hit back.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #55
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
5AM alarm; shower & drive to work; wearing bra and shoes for 9 hours...
Old 07-08-2010, 04:11 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I've heard about this but never experienced it first hand. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.
I've been through three of them. Medicine as a business. I tried to make the best of them but frankly they offered little I didn't already know.

Let's see: 400 physician-hours, at maybe $150/h plus consultant costs of $5K = $65,000 for the exercise. Gain? Undetectable.

Still, that's not the worst business BS I had to deal with -- that honor goes to role-playing and ice-breaking games at retreats.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
wearing bra and shoes for 9 hours...

Yes! This for dang sure
Old 07-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #58
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Top of my list are the phone calls and e-mails which assume that I have nothing else to do with my life except hang around waiting for those phone calls and e-mails (24x7) and that I am happy to work through the weekend with no prior notice. Some weeks I end up doing more work on weekends and over night than I do during normal business hours. Getting a phone call at 3 am asking if I have received an e-mail that was just sent out is something I can do without (I now turn the phone off when I go to bed unless I am expecting something important).

Internal meetings are also high on my hate list. When I can't dodge them, I tend to take some work that needs to be done and sit quietly in the corner getting on with it and ignoring whatever it is that people are talking about.

Office politics and the unproductive admin aspect are inescapable parts of working life - I don't like them but have to put up with them.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #59
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Reading through this thread, I get that commuting, and the corporate/office nonsense issues become less and less tolerable.

For me though, I mostly enjoy my longish commute. I have my personable bubble (car) around me and have the music cranked up. It gives me some MasterBlaster time of which to reflect on and ponder stuff.

Regarding corporate nonsense, It rages in full cyclone force mode all around me. Yet mostly mostly I ignore it all and concur, mostly it just doesn't matter.

I don't hate my job or hate working. As I get older though, I have come to realize what a privilege having my job really is and how fortunate I am.

And best of all !!! ....

some of us are getting paid while we post to this forum, What's so bad about that ?
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #60
Administrator

Self assessment checklists!

Employee opinion survey action plans.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote