Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Does anything happen as a result of the 360, other than a waste of time? Do you have to do anything? Are you obliged to discuss the results with anybody?

If not, just do it and forget it. I just had one. Everyone dreads negative comments, but it wasn't so bad. Although comments are supposed to be anonymous, I could have put names next to every comment, good and not so good...people cannot help sounding like themselves. The comments said at least as much about the people who made them, as they did about me.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Assuming I stay here long enough, I will be squirming in anticipation of "360 feedback" being rolled out to my level at some point in the future (has come as far as middle management). This is where not only do you get reviewed by your boss, but you also get reviewed by colleagues and subordinates. Quadruple your pleasure...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Old 07-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #63

Meetings. Long, boring, and virtually useless meetings. Especially when some suckup is trying to impress the boss.

Performance Reviews. Usually an unpleasant experience for the reviewer and the reviewee. I always tried to keep a straight face when my areas of improvement were noted.

Management lies. Ex: "The corporation is not planning any layoffs at this time." When that's said at one of the useless meetings mentioned above, get your resume updated.

Mandatory training (annual or semiannual or some such silliness)... on-the-job harassment, age/sexual/racial discrimination, privacy issues, OSHA, Drug abuse, yada, yada, yada.

Anyway, It's been six years since I had to endure this nonsense. And the title of this thread was.....

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:32 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
5AM alarm; shower & drive to work; wearing bra and shoes for 9 hours...
.....free at last!!!

Employee restrooms.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

Employee restrooms.
eeek! Got that right. BTW, where's that "fluff cat" thingy? Can't seem to find it when I need it
Old 07-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #66

Two guys I never met, Sarbanes and Oxley.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Having a blackberry strapped to my @ss all wekend and sometimes even on holidays/vacations to be at an idiot's beck and call.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Demeaning employee ethics announcements that are obviously sent to everyone because one idiot got caught displaying a lack of common sense.

- Will Rogers
Old 07-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Brewer is live-blogging from the cube farm. Keep 'em coming--I expect your present environment will keep feeding the mill.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #70

S.M.A.R.T Goals

Specific
Measurable
Achievable
Realistic
Time Framed

My office leader at the tax office (12 hrs/wk Jan - Apr 15) asked me to submit my SMART Goals for next year, assuming that I knew what the heck he was talking about. I guess I should be expected to keep up on all the clever stuff dribbled down on us from the upper management.

Yeah, here's my goal - simplify the freaking tax code. Oh, that's not Achievable in my lifetime.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
S.M.A.R.T Goals
Specific
Measurable
Achievable
Realistic
Time Framed
PASS:
Pin (remove the fire extinguish pin), aim, squeeze (the handle), sweep.

I am so glad they came up with an acronym for that one. Otherwise I would have simply run my a$% off.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:52 AM   #72

Commute is my problem. But ironically, the only work tasks I enjoy are project site visits that require even more travel. I can handle the train 3 or 4 times a month because I nap during the one hour commute. But I have to check Google Maps for travel problems before I drive anywhere. There is road construction everywhere. Yesterday I was in an hour long backup caused by traffic slowing down to watch an accident that happened off the road.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:25 AM   #73

While the commute was the main reason for my retiring in 2008, all those other things mentioned by others (except for the bra part LOL!) I don't miss, either. Some of them, such as doing employee reviews, I was relieved from doing once I went to part-time work in 2001. I was also fortunate to miss many (but not all) meetings and group lunches in those 7 years of working part-time.

But I was not able to avoid all that silly Dilbert stuff such as mission statements and employee satisfaction surveys.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:01 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Lugging a monster laptop everywhere in the heat while wearing suit and tie. The frosting on top today is that my destination is a meeting/pinata party with the grand high poohbah who gets a dozen swings at the pinata (me and team) without a blindfold. Upside: nada. Downside: major career damage. This is why they pay me the Liliputian bucks...

- Will Rogers
Old 07-09-2010, 07:10 AM   #75
gone traveling

My main “problem” was losing two weekends every month.

Since my boss(s)/HQ's were located in Europe (two different countries over the years), I would have to get the limo to pick me up noon Saturday, fly overnight, get to the hotel early afternoon Sunday, grab some sleep (can't sleep on any plane) and be "bright eyed and bushy tailed" for work Monday morning. That screwed the weekend before.

Usually did not get a plane back till late Friday, arriving home after midnight (Saturday morning). It usually took the rest of the weekend to get "in sync" with the local time. That screwed the weekend after.

Along with the "office antics" already posted, travel is what pushed me to the brink and why I retired before I originally planned...

The only positive to the travel was that it paid for quite a few trips for my DW/me over the years and some upgrades to business class when I was still on the j*b. However, it was a heavy toll to pay.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:24 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Yet another (can you tell its an ugly week?):

Walking through extremely crowded public spaces in NYC that are crawling with NYPD, cameras, cop cars, concrete barriers and National Guardsmen carrying assault rifles. No, I do not feel like a target at all...

The soldiers with automatic weapons is a great idea: a terrorist shows up in Penn Station with a pipe bomb and PFC Big-ears opens up at full auto. Which one kills more tourists and commuters?

- Will Rogers
Old 07-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #77

Having to report my productivity every single day on my time sheet.

Dealing with immature coworkers.

Seeing clients decline despite my best efforts (thankfully, not the majority of cases).

Hearing and seeing sad stories of people's lives as they age.

Hence, lots of motivation to try and FIRE and live our lives to the fullest before time slips away!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:25 AM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
They wouldn't let me put "dead or retired" on my 5 year goal statement.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #79
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Walking through extremely crowded public spaces in NYC that are crawling with NYPD, cameras, cop cars, concrete barriers and National Guardsmen carrying assault rifles. No, I do not feel like a target at all...
Sounds like a normal day in France ...

Of course, the Eurozone has had problems (from various groups - in southern France, it's the Algerians).

The only difference is in the Eurozone they are carring a Uzi - in the U.S. an M16 variant ...

And no - you don't use full auto (waste of ammo)...
Old 07-09-2010, 09:43 AM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Consultants don't even get cubes. I have a desk in the hallway and I've created some privacy by placing large burn bins around my space. Works well - except for the person whom I am supporting, no one knows or cares who I am.

But the freedom level is a lot higher than when I was actually employed by DoD as a fed. As long as I am fully billable, my company leaves me alone - I really did put down retirement as my goal on my annual appraisal. In the box where you enter future training you need I said that I'm too old to learn anything new and that training money should be spent on the younger folks who need it. And, since I almost never spend any time at the company HQ, I have no idea what political intrigues are occurring.

It's been a good 7 years since my first retirement, but I think the next, and final one, is coming by the end of the year. Commute isn't bad, 15 minutes each way, but only because I refuse to accept longer commutes. It's very liberating to be able to say "Leave me alone, let me do my job, if you don't like it, I'll be happy to leave."

Of course, I don't have to put on a bra and high heels everyday - I would look weird in them anyway . And I never wear a jacket or tie - they hired me for my brains, not my couture.