Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #121
Administrator

Quote:
I don't miss TGIF. Do love TGIM
Quote:
I'm ready for all those folks to go back to work so I can run my errands in peace.
+1 +1

Morning newspaper. Long, friendly cuppa coffee. Watch the neighbors leave for work.

There is so much I don’t miss about work.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Former IT guy here (retired). You can thank Sarbanes–Oxley for the "separation of duties" that came about in IT (one could test, but another needs to migrate to production, and depending on your local S.O. audit, even separate test functions as your firm has done).

Also, the idea of a "package" is related to the software/technology that evolved over the years. In the old days (where I spent most of my career) all you needed to do to make a change (for instance mainframe COBOL) was a couple of cards/lines for the change, controlled by a change control program (where you did it all).

BTW, in the "really old days" (where a greybeard like me started - and yes, I know what an 11/x punch means ) you had card decks (e.g. 5081 Hollerith coded cards) which were the entire program. You just added/pulled/corrected the part (cards) you needed to change and just submit to change the program (e.g. pre-compile/compile). As a programmer (and usually the only one who worked with a program/system) you did it all, without anybody "controlling" what you did. Of course, those are the days when one could take fractional shares/cents and add it to your own records ...

With the later technology (toy computers, as I call them - since I'm an old "big iron" guy ), all related programs/tasks must be assembled for a "release". The sub-code/structure cannot be broken out as easily (much improved, more work).

Anyway, since you asked...
Yeah, SOX, as we call it, changed a lot of things. And my company isn't even mandated - we do it because it is the "right thing to do". I guess I am okay with that - but the "separation of duties" simply has no value given the way it is implemented.

I actually started as a Mainframe COBOL developer, went throught the client-server era, and now am into the web era. I enjoyed them all. Regardless of platform, though, it now takes as much, if not more time, to fill out the paperwork than it does to do the actually work. Something is very wrong. And our business wonders why IT services have become so expensive.

Another one of my "I won't miss......" is producing attestation that proves I didnt change anything when I log onto a machine to check something..

(Punch cards were gone by the time I started, but I remember my father bringing home punch cards for scrap paper . )
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:49 PM   #123
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
+1 +1

Morning newspaper. Long, friendly cuppa coffee. Watch the neighbors leave for work.

There is so much I don’t miss about work.
Dec '08 6AM, hearing the neighbor spend 30 minutes scraping the ice off his car so he could drive to work.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I don't see the problem with this email. It sounds funny, but it really works. If someone has left the company, they'll get the bounce message and can reassign the license. Also they might pick up a few people who say they don't need it. Making the default be keeping the license prevents someone from losing their license just because they overlooked the email.
Hmmm....that is an interesting perspective I hadn't thought of. Thanks a lot, you just took away the one thing that made me laugh all day.......

KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #125
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In general, the 24/7/365 stress of it all. Weekends ruined by the fear and loathing of Monday.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:31 AM   #126
Full time employment: Posting here.

If it has to be one thing and not a list, then it sure is 360 review. Can't stand that. That's why I handed in my resignation this year before the review starts. Management spends so much time and money on 360 and the system has so many weaknesses. It used to be wearing stockings that would top the list rather than 360 but I decided to stop wearing stockings about 10 years ago despite remarks from colleagues. Nowadays, it appears that no stockings mode is widely accepted.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:07 AM   #127
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
That wasn't one of my planned expectations. But, now that I am about six weeks into my ER, that is indeed a nice bonus. I have been doing that virtually every day! (My clock alarm has not been set in weeks!)
Yes, I'll be looking forward to that.

I'll also be looking forward to not having to GO anywhere when there's a ton of ice on my very steep driveway.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:24 AM   #128
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Dec '08 6AM, hearing the neighbor spend 30 minutes scraping the ice off his car so he could drive to work.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:34 AM   #129
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
The transit equivalent of this is watching the TV news when they announce 30-minute delays (or more) on all branches on the LIRR. I then imagine all those people standing on freezing cold (or blistering hot) platforms or stuck on trains, getting to work or back home late, and knowing that I AM NOT ONE OF THEM ANY MORE!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #130

Will never miss getting up at 5:00am and driving 20 miles through empty countryside in the dark at 35 degrees below zero in blowing snow.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #131
gone traveling

Things I will not miss

Reading posts from folks still working who feel compelled to trash their employers in every thread but have no problem cashing the paychecks that will allow them to ER.

But, maybe that's just me...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:10 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Unless you do rescue (dog) work as I do and get a young fellow that jumps up onto your bed at 5:30 to wake you up, by licking your ear (I'm trying to get the DW to learn that trick ).
You and I are both animal rescuers I sure know the joy a rescued animal can give you.

I do rescue cat work and have 5 kittens right now I'm fostering. I don't let them up on my bed or with my other cats since there is some risk of disease transmission. Plus, there is the confusion the "perms" would experience with so many furry souls passing through our home. We do, however, give the foster kittens lots of love and play time. This helps them be better companions to those who eventually adopt them.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #133

What a great thread!

My list could be pretty long and covers many things already mentioned.

I don't miss:
Meetings
Performance reviews
Mandatory meetings
Living in a cube for x hours a day
Fluorescent lights
Mandatory trainings (had to do 10+ a year)
Sunday night dread/blues/whatever
More meetings
Reorganizations that are always dedicated to efficiency and saving money even when going back to a previous type of organization
Sitting in an office all day when the weather is beautiful
Stress
Consultants that are hired to tell the agency how to reorganize
More useless meetings
Driving in rush hour traffic twice each weekday
Financial disclosure reporting
Holiday parties that they try to shame you into attending
Touchy feely workgroup meetings and trainings
Retreats

I could go on, but it might depress me.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:34 PM   #134

-I won't miss being on call every other week
-computer upgrades that take most of a weekend
-weekly status reports
-re-doing work because the boss didn't think it through the first time
-busting my @ss on a weekend to get a household project done before Monday
-work related stress
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:39 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Holiday parties that they try to shame you into attending
I worked for a company that had a MANDATORY Christmas party.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:09 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Finishing a high stakes, high stress project (with zero upside), collapsing over the weekend, and the realizing that there are several smaller urgent things that piled up while you were concentrating on the mission critical project.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:01 AM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Things I will not miss

Reading posts from folks still working who feel compelled to trash their employers in every thread but have no problem cashing the paychecks that will allow them to ER.

But, maybe that's just me...
Don't worry, they got the better part of the deal and I don't fell any guilt what so ever when I cash my pension check.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:05 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Don't worry, they got the better part of the deal and I don't fell any guilt what so ever when I cash my pension check.
And people ask why I use the ignore list...

- George Orwell

Old 07-12-2010, 11:04 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
And people ask why I use the ignore list...
Thanks Brewer. I've been up nights worrying that I wasn't posting up to your high standards.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Thanks Brewer. I've been up nights worrying that I wasn't posting up to your high standards.
Nah, was a reference to the poster you quoted, not you.

- George Orwell