Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ok, here is an actual email I got that worked me up. I mean, as long as I complete my work on time, with excellent results (and I do), who really cares if I walk over to get some lunch at the grocery store 5 minutes away?

Actual email:

Bimmerbill,
I stopped by your office earlier, but I guess you had already left for the day.
It was reported to me that at approx 1030 - 1045 you were seen coming back from the direction of the Commissary/NEX carrying what appeared to be bags of groceries. While you are certainly entitled to the use of those facilities, I just want to remind you that as a civilian employee you need to do that either before or after your shift, during lunch, or while on leave.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
Ok, here is an actual email I got that worked me up. I mean, as long as I complete my work on time, with excellent results (and I do), who really cares if I walk over to get some lunch at the grocery store 5 minutes away?

Actual email:

Bimmerbill,
I stopped by your office earlier, but I guess you had already left for the day.
It was reported to me that at approx 1030 - 1045 you were seen coming back from the direction of the Commissary/NEX carrying what appeared to be bags of groceries. While you are certainly entitled to the use of those facilities, I just want to remind you that as a civilian employee you need to do that either before or after your shift, during lunch, or while on leave.
Eh, tell him you took your goat to Wal Mart and that was the droppings: Funny Pictures at WalMart Muzzle Goater

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:07 PM   #143
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Things I will not miss

Reading posts from folks still working who feel compelled to trash their employers in every thread but have no problem cashing the paychecks that will allow them to ER.

But, maybe that's just me...

I actually like the company I work for. Each year on our Employee Survey when they ask about what I think of the company (ethical, cares about employees, etc) I rate them as high as I can.

But just because I like the company, does not mean I like all of the policies and procedures they have in place. And just because I take a paycheck from them doesn't mean I have sold my soul and am not allowed to complain, vent, or point out the lunacy and/or contradictions of some of the things we do.

I had a very wise manager, who once told me "I like you, because you are passionate. We don't always agree, and that's fine. But I know you care. It's the ones that never complain and go about every day with a smile on their face that I worry about. They are the ones that will never have an impact." I started to look around me and realized he was right. The people who were complaining the loudest were most often the ones who cared the most about getting things done.

But, maybe that's just me.......
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:11 PM   #144
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
I actually like the company I work for. Each year on our Employee Survey when they ask about what I think of the company (ethical, cares about employees, etc) I rate them as high as I can.

But just because I like the company, does not mean I like all of the policies and procedures they have in place. And just because I take a paycheck from them doesn't mean I have sold my soul and am not allowed to complain, vent, or point out the lunacy and/or contradictions of some of the things we do.

I had a very wise manager, who once told me "I like you, because you are passionate. We don't always agree, and that's fine. But I know you care. It's the ones that never complain and go about every day with a smile on their face that I worry about. They are the ones that will never have an impact." I started to look around me and realized he was right. The people who were complaining the loudest were most often the ones who cared the most about getting things done.

No organization is perfect, and there is always room for improvement, however there is a big difference between constructive criticism because you care and destructive rhetoric because you don't. I have always chosen the first category, sounds like you have too.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #145

While I work for a really great firm and I like working here, even with the best of employers sometimes things happen that just defy belief like....

.... I got back from a short holiday to find that someone had put me down as regional team leader on pitch to a major client (without asking me) and had modified my experience list to include things that I had no involvement with (also without asking me). I'm hoping that we don't win this deal. I'm also hoping that the said "someone" nominates me to do his peer review this year.

Fortunately this this the only time I have seen something like this happen - hopefully it will be the last.

I don't actually mind doing assessments for the staff who work for me. I get them to full out all the forms for me. It saves all of us a lot of time. I'm still trying to work out a way to get someone to complete my own self-assesment for me.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:52 AM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I think you have it right. A lot of the things I do not like about the daily grind are present at any employer. Duh, my dislike of that stuff is the impetus for FIRE. Otherwise I would have drifted off from this forum a long time ago.

But a lot of my specific beefs with my current employer stem from the fact that I am foolish enough to care. My organization is tasked with doing tremendously important work that potentially impacts the ebtire country and beyond. So when I see idiocy, incompetence and apathy on a grand scale, it makes my fists itch (to say the least). If I could succesfully check out like the very longterm employees and just concentrate on kissing @ss rather than doing the important stuff well, I would probably be a lot less frustrated. But short of tranquilization I do not see that happening, so I am likely to be a short timer here.

- George Orwell

Old 07-13-2010, 06:33 AM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Like Brewer, I tend to care *too* much, thus the stupid stuff makes me more angry than if I was some corporate drone. I am protective of our clients and our reputation because it means something to me.

Good to be able to vent!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Things I will not miss

Reading posts from folks still working who feel compelled to trash their employers in every thread but have no problem cashing the paychecks that will allow them to ER.

But, maybe that's just me...
Easy, big fella...

The reality is that many of us don't have the flexibility to move around willy-nilly, looking for that "perfect" employer. We're stuck, and trying to make the most of it, but employers don't make it easy...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #149
Moderator Emeritus

I don't recall if this was mentioned - - but how about sleep deprivation?

I sure won't miss feeling like I am never going to catch up on my sleep. I always felt that way when I was w*rking. What I looked forward to most in ER was sleeping. Now, I sleep as I please.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Now, I sleep as I please.
Show off!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:20 AM   #151
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Show off!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #152
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Now, I sleep as I please.
This thread is USELESS without Pics...
Old 07-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Unnecessarily excessive legalese. My employer has issued new rules for regular telecommuters. I will never do so because the command and control culture penalizes telecommuters heavily. But now people who have been doing so for years will have to sign a 4 page legal agreement with 15 specific articles chock full of legalese.

- George Orwell

Old 07-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #154

Quote:
Employers and employees are in a mutually exploitative relationship. There is nothing unusual or illegitimate about that; and it certainly doesn't require that either side be 100% uncritical of the other (especially in private).

Quote:
It's the ones that never complain and go about every day with a smile on their face that I worry about. They are the ones that will never have an impact.
We Woosters can wear the mask [P.G. Wodehouse].
Old 07-13-2010, 06:51 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Unnecessarily excessive legalese. My employer has issued new rules for regular telecommuters. I will never do so because the command and control culture penalizes telecommuters heavily. But now people who have been doing so for years will have to sign a 4 page legal agreement with 15 specific articles chock full of legalese.
Are you blaming your employer or a couple of fine guys named Sarbanes and Oxley. While I think you work for the feds (and S-Ox doesn't apply) since they passed it, they try to surpass it.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:05 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Are you blaming your employer or a couple of fine guys named Sarbanes and Oxley. While I think you work for the feds (and S-Ox doesn't apply) since they passed it, they try to surpass it.
SOx does not apply to my employer. This is all self-inflicted. The most hilarious thing is that this is tucked into a communique that purports to help reinforce the importance of work/life balance and flexible work arrangements. Ha!

- George Orwell

Old 07-13-2010, 07:59 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

A friend of mine who is still at a megacorp told me this story. His employer had an annual survey of employees to obtain their feedbacks. Although the individual responses were anonymous, the replies were grouped by departments (Web replies, hence traceable).

His department was deemed deficient in some areas, meaning having employee unhappiness in such areas as career advancement, job satisfaction, etc...

So, the decree from HR was that departmental meetings shall be held every week to search for remedies!

Talk about "the beating shall continue until the morale improves!".

Needless to say, next year, every category surveyed came back with near 100% satisfaction. Happy, happy!!!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:17 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
...work/life balance...

What a fn joke...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
I work for the Feds in IT and Sarbanes and Oxley has hit us hard.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:10 PM   #160
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
What a fn joke...
fnA?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fnA.jpg (5.8 KB, 108 views)