Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-28-2010, 07:49 AM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Remember to take / get compensated for any unused vacation / flex days.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2010, 09:25 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you intend to keep in touch with a favorite few, make sure you have their work email address and telephone number.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:36 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
If you intend to keep in touch with a favorite few, make sure you have their work email address and telephone number.
Thks, did that and it worked out to be quite a few. I went for my medical check-up today and had some additional X-rays done and charged it to medical claims. I also was asked to interview my replacement yesterday. I still have 3 weeks left. In Hong Kong, it is customary to take people who have resigned for lunches and such farewell lunches have started. My boss arranged farewell drinks for 3 members (including me) leaving the dept. Colleagues drop in my office and asked me about my plans, etc...so it looks like I'm all set to go. My panic attacks are fewer and I guess I'm just counting the days. I think I'll spend my last weeks attending the firm's many online investment courses.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAt30 View Post
Remember to take / get compensated for any unused vacation / flex days.
Thks. I called Human Resources last week to confirm that. I still have around 5 vacation days left. By the way, I'm impressed - clearly from your name, you retired much much earlier than me.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:51 AM   #25

Hi, just want to update all who replied to this thread. My last day of employment which was supposed to be today is extended to end of August. So, I still have 6 weeks to check the boxes in my list. Most of them have been checked anyways. The 6 additional weeks works well for both my firm and I since they are still looking for my replacement and I don't mind the additional 6 weeks as it is summer when volume of work is lowest. I am even exempted from having to do 360 review too!
Old 07-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
Hi, just want to update all who replied to this thread. My last day of employment which was supposed to be today is extended to end of August. So, I still have 6 weeks to check the boxes in my list. Most of them have been checked anyways. The 6 additional weeks works well for both my firm and I since they are still looking for my replacement and I don't mind the additional 6 weeks as it is summer when volume of work is lowest. I am even exempted from having to do 360 review too!
I'm glad that you don't mind working the extra 6 weeks. It was nice of you to agree to stay, since they needed you. Maybe you can save part of those paychecks to buy yourself something special later on.

Have you thought of what you will do, if they haven't found your replacement by the end of August?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:20 AM   #27

Hi W2R, I won't change my mind on 31st Aug. I'm turning 50 very soon after and I am overdue on my ER. Also, a major eye surgery early this year made it the deciding factor to ER. Yes, the extra cash is just grand! It goes into a nice trip later on when DH can take vacation (he will continue to work). Counting the days....
Old 07-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #28
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Things to do: Smile
Old 07-19-2010, 09:01 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Things to do: Smile
I couldn't - too busy grinning.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hi W2R, I won't change my mind on 31st Aug. I'm turning 50 very soon after and I am overdue on my ER. Also, a major eye surgery early this year made it the deciding factor to ER. Yes, the extra cash is just grand! It goes into a nice trip later on when DH can take vacation (he will continue to work). Counting the days....
Sounds wonderful! I hope the two of you have a wonderful time on the trip.

As far as I know, after more than a year of advertising they never found anyone who was sucker enough to be my replacement. So, they divided my job up among three people and then the plan was to hire someone new to take on some of their other tasks. That's why I asked - - I don't think it is always that easy to find replacements for experienced retirees with all of our "institutional knowledge" and "know how" so to speak.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #31

Quote:
Thks all and the thread from the Forum is comprehensive enough. I doubt I'll miss my badge (has a truly awful photo on it). Will miss my blackberry though. I'll just keep my business cards and a few pieces of printed stationery with my name on it as souvenir. Good thing I booked early for the medical check up because the earliest available date was end of June. Now I have to shop around for a new broker.
get new business cards with a fake job title on them and see if supervisor notices LOL
Old 07-19-2010, 04:01 PM   #32

I wish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAt30 View Post
Remember to get compensated for any unused vacation days.