Join Early Retirement Today

Things to do in the last 2 months at work
Old 05-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Things to do in the last 2 months at work

Not sure whether I've posted this in the right forum or whether there are previous threads on this subject (if they are, pls point me to them - thks). I've handed in my resignation and have 2 months to go before I end my working life of 27 years. Can you share with me what are the things I should do in these last 2 months while I am still employed? For instance, I've got this list below:-

1. Dental check to get full benefit of the company's dental coverage - did a crowning today.
2. Will go for a medical check up as the company provide a very comprehensive and expensive check up annually.
3. Clear personal things from office like my extra pair of shoes, jacket, photos, etc.
4. Sell shares I own in the company - this, I think, is required by my company.
5. Transfer my broker account from the company to one of my choice.
6. Write a withholding letter to IRD as I won't be employed in future.

I'm sure that's more to do - so please help as I don't want to regret not doing things now when I have the time. Someone tell me to apply for as many credit cards I want while employed but I don't think I want to do that. BTW, if it is relevant to any advice, I work for a US bank in Asia and no US tax or US benefits as not a US citizen.

As expected, after handing in my resignation, I had mixed feelings of whether I've done the right thing. I know deep down I have but it is strange not to be working soon when I have been doing so for more than half my life so far.

Thanks!
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Take a look at this thread...

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...-er-20952.html
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

From the FAQ forum: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...-er-20952.html
Old 05-25-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I "lost" my company ID badge and got a new one just before I left. It can be handy to have an extra ID badge.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
gone traveling

I purchased a new desktop & laptop using the Dell corporate discount (needed to order from the company net, since the company was a division of a Euro firm, and all orders were approved through that conduit). We had over 75K PC's from Dell at various locations world-wide, so the benefit was good (but only for active employees).

I also went to the company web site to get the account numbers for all the car companies we did business with, as a supplier/partner (both U.S. & foreign brands). I don't purchase cars that often (in fact, I got a better deal on my own), but I have the numbers "just in case"....
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I "lost" my company ID badge and got a new one just before I left. It can be handy to have an extra ID badge.
I don't understand. If you want it as a souvenir, then great. However, if it's part of a computerized access system, your ID would be removed when you left.

BTW, I retired a bit over three years ago. Haven't been back once (nor expect to) ...
Old 05-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
I don't understand. If you want it as a souvenir, then great. However, if it's part of a computerized access system, your ID would be removed when you left.

BTW, I retired a bit over three years ago. Haven't been back once (nor expect to) ...
If you look pitiful enough and show your badge which "just doesn't seem to be working", some kind soul will usually let you in using their own ID badge. At other places that give discounts to employees of Megacorp, flashing the badge is enough.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't think of "losing" my badge. Good idea! For me, it would just be for purposes of nostalgia. On my last day it kind of shook me up to give up my badge. There was a little tear brimming on my eyelid for just a few seconds (didn't take it long to go away, but it is what it is).

I never used it for discounts unrelated to work, and never would, since I only represented my agency when on agency business. And if I wanted to get in at my workplace, all I'd have to do is call someone on my cell phone to come down and get me, get a visitors' pass, etc.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Yes, when I turned in the company stuff (badge, pager, computer access card) there was a pause in my mind knowing "this was it, the finality of it". I was more than happy to turn them in (especially the pager ).

Yet, I still have this recurring dream (another thread...
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...are-46697.html ) that I still have access to remotely connect to w*rk and I end up still w*rking for months, all without inputing my timesheet and without pay
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:52 AM   #10

I had all my suits dry cleaned (we had free dry cleaning for work clothes) which turned out to be pointless since I've worn a suit about three times since I retired.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:13 AM   #11

Thks all and the thread from the Forum is comprehensive enough. I doubt I'll miss my badge (has a truly awful photo on it). Will miss my blackberry though. I'll just keep my business cards and a few pieces of printed stationery with my name on it as souvenir. Good thing I booked early for the medical check up because the earliest available date was end of June. Now I have to shop around for a new broker.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:03 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
........... Will miss my blackberry though..................
Oh yea, I also had to get a cell phone. I did not miss the employer issued electronic tether. And I had to buy my own car, which was also satisfying in its own way.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #13

For all its worth, I'm going to remind myself these are just tangible things. I think what I miss most is the interaction with my colleagues and even those who drive you insanely mad. I must admit that I'm getting little panic attacks of life after work...already sleepless for several nights. Just got out of bed to pen down my regular schedule after I stop work! Are these little panic attacks normal? I think it's just a stage and I'll get over it. When tomorrow comes and I have to commute to work, I will be so happy I resigned. It's been like that since I handed my resignation letter last week.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
For all its worth, I'm going to remind myself these are just tangible things. I think what I miss most is the interaction with my colleagues and even those who drive you insanely mad. I must admit that I'm getting little panic attacks of life after work...already sleepless for several nights. Just got out of bed to pen down my regular schedule after I stop work! Are these little panic attacks normal? I think it's just a stage and I'll get over it. When tomorrow comes and I have to commute to work, I will be so happy I resigned. It's been like that since I handed my resignation letter last week.
You can always go back to visit. In fact, you might want to make that intention clear to everyone as you say your goodbyes... "It's not like I'm going forever, and I'll come back and visit in a few months". I used to daydream of my schedule in retirement, though it hasn't quite turned out as I thought (mainly because I have been staying up about five hours later so the mornings are shot). My imaginary schedule had me getting up at 7 AM and heading off to the gym by 8 AM every morning, but in reality I don't awaken for hours after that and haven't been working out like I should.

Retirement is a huge adjustment and my guess is that your little panic attacks are probably an attempt to start dealing with it. After a few weeks in retirement you'll wonder how you ever had the time to go to work.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:06 AM   #15

Thks, W2R....and so I shall lay my head to rest in comfort and away with all these panic attacks. It's past midnight in Hong Kong now.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
For all its worth, I'm going to remind myself these are just tangible things. I think what I miss most is the interaction with my colleagues .

I really worried about that since most of my social interaction besides with my SO was with work friends . I took care of it by joining a gym and going to regular classes . It provides me with just enough interaction and now some of my friends have retired so my social calendar is busy . If you do not like the gym idea join a club or volunteer .You'll meet lots of new people .I have found after two and a half years in retirement ( actually three and a half but I worked one day a week for the first year ) that your life will just evolve and you will add activities and interests as the need arises.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
You can always go back to visit.
Now THAT would be a nightmare ...

(You can tell that I was ready for retirement )...
Old 05-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

As mentioned... discounts are great... my mega had free entrance to most all of the museums etc. in NYC... when my sister borrowed one of my badges to go around and visit... she said 'this is made of GOLD'...

You did not have to wait in line with the others... but just go to the memeber desk and flash the card.. they waived you right through...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Now THAT would be a nightmare ...

(You can tell that I was ready for retirement )...
Well, I have to admit that I haven't done it yet! But I said I would...

Old 05-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post

One thing I didn't see on the thread that I did in my last months was to be sure I made maximum use of my company provided FSA. You are allowed to spend the annual amount you have commited to regardless of when you leave. For example, if you are putting in $100/month then even if you leave end of January you are allowed to withdraw $1,200 of qualified expenses even though you only have put in $100. I think this is often an unwritten rule but my company pointed out this feature - I had to make the expenditures before I retired and then had 30 days after the date of retirement to claim them back. So, eye tests, new glasses etc, in that last 2 months.