Join Early Retirement Today

Re: This is nuts
Old 06-03-2005, 03:06 PM   #41

Quote:
But if 37% of these homes sales are second homes, does that mean these are all being rented? Or are they truly sitting idle waiting for people to come to them on the weekend or something. Or are people just 'warehousing' these things to sell later? Seems like a curiouslyl high statistic to me. If rented, it could help keep rents even lower.
These are mostly vacation homes I would guess. Nothern Minnesota is filled with them. Mostly Lakeshore. They are mostly unoccupied except for the very short summer in Minnesota. And this is mostly on Weekends.

There are business that will protect your unoccupied 'cabin'
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2005, 07:16 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was listening to the radio in my car this morning and heard that there is a RE investment seminar coming up in Safeco Field. If scheduling a seminar in a major league baseball stadium isn't a sign of a bubble, then I am nuts.

Ha

Old 06-03-2005, 08:23 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
I was listening to the radio in my car this morning and heard that there is a RE investment seminar coming up in Safeo Field. If scheduling a seminar in a major league baseball stadium isn't a sign of a bubble, then I am nuts.

Ha
Bubble smubble! Get yourself committed

JG
Old 06-04-2005, 02:19 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

A real estate course in a stadium is scary.... I guess the masses flee to the next hot thing to do instead of the stock market.

Just finished reading Bernstein's book - wonderful. Anyway, I wonder whether the same type of bubbles as happen in the stock market happen in real estate. Especially with the one year generation gap that he mentions when lots of people get burned that have not been around long enough to get burned in the previous one.

I also wonder why California and some other places have these rising bubbles but some other places don't see much or anything at all. Texas is doing fine, economimcally it does great, it got lots of influx of new people but real estate prices have not bubbled. Prices may have gone up in a few select neighorhoods in certain areas but that seems to be it.

What has been the historical effect of a collapsing bubble for other areas that are not bubbling? E.g. if the California bubble pops, does that drag down the rest of the country in a widespread real estate scare or does it tend to be a local event?

Vicky
Old 06-05-2005, 08:09 AM   #45

I believe the bubble is applicable to the entire real estate market. Areas such as the SF Bay Area, Orange County, San Diego will be hit harder than lesser inflated area, e.g. Ohio, rural area. If it ever bursts, people who got in with 0 down payment, adjustable mortgages, interest only payments, higher housing expense to income ratio (e.g., over 40%) will be hurting.

Spanky
Old 06-05-2005, 11:20 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
I was listening to the radio in my car this morning and heard that there is a RE investment seminar coming up in Safeco Field. If scheduling a seminar in a major league baseball stadium isn't a sign of a bubble, then I am nuts.

Ha
Ha Ha, been gone for a little bit, but I think this is my old friend M-----.
I hadn't heard about a seminar at Safeco Field, but with all the noise re: Real Estate, it doesn't surprise me a bit. (I wonder if they are going to supply all the participants with "rear view" mirrors?
We had a similar run-up in the 70"s, but it was somewhat understandable, because of the tremendous inflation during that period of time.
Both my kids live in California, and even with a little help from pops, they are "squeezed" trying to afford basic housing.
Two years ago, I figured we would end the run-up in values with a whimper, once the mortgage rates were raised. Didn't happen, and so more of the same.
I have read many articles attempting to make sense of the valuations in play, but haven't been convinced that they actually make a whole lot of sense.
Perhaps filling up a Major League Park with folks that want a "piece of the pie" is an indication that we may have went a little too far. :laugh
Take Care M-----(Ha Ha)
Old 06-05-2005, 12:01 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead
Ha Ha, been gone for a little bit, but I think this is my old friend M-----.
If you forget who's who you can click on their username to see their profile and their original username is near the top.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:22 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just hope it doesnt go like sacramento CA did from 90-96. One long slow slide. Bunch of very very desperate sellers towards the end. Not a lot of excited buyers because you didnt know when and where it was going to stop.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 02:32 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
If you forget who's who you can click on their username to see their profile and their original username is near the top.
Thanks BMJ:

By the way, thank you also for e-mailing me re: my getting lost in shuffle. I also received an e-mail from Dory, right before yours, and answered his.
Very nice of you to spend time organizing the change. You did an excellent job.
Regards, Jarhead
Old 06-05-2005, 03:38 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead
By the way, thank you also for e-mailing me re: my getting lost in shuffle. I also received an e-mail from Dory, right before yours, and answered his.
Great minds think alike. He figured it out a little before me. Several people were wondering about you. Did you see Bob_Smith and Hyperborea wherever you were gone to?

Quote:
Very nice of you to spend time organizing the change. You did an excellent job.
Thanks!