Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm afraid that we are considered to be "the rich" - even tho it took 20+ years to get the portfolio.....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This thread was about inspiration. When did it turn into a whine-fest? Between the two, inspiration is definitely more enjoyable...
True that. But in reality we live in an era where many folks define "whining" as "complaining about any situation where I personally have no sympathy for them."

One person's legitimate beef is another person's whine; it depends on whose ox is being gored.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

To the original poster: The key is to define a realistic set of goals and never forget them. Over 20 years ago I was divorced with plenty of debt and virtually no savings I sat down one evening and wrote a set of goals down on 4 yellow sticky notes (the larger ones). The included items such as 1) Get rid of all debt 2) purchase a house 3) pay for my children's college (3 sons) 4) retirement savings $ goal .... So here it is 20 years later and I still have those yellow stickers and I have exceeded every one of those goals. My three sons have all graduated from college (2 with masters so far), I have no debt, I have a house and far exceeded my retirement savings goal. I retired in December and I am happier than ever. The key was to set the goals and never forget them... It may not happen overnight but it will happen.. You can do it..
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yeah, it's always best to measure yourself against yourself -- your past self, that is -- not against other people. "Run your own race," as they say. As long as I feel like I'm doing better than I was a few years ago or a decade ago, I'm okay. Sometimes, if I want to boost my spirits, I'll reflect on what life was like for me when I was a teenager or early 20's (hint: miserable, depressed, lost). I've had a lot of ups and downs, but as long as my life is on an upward trajectory overall, I can feel okay.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
I am in awe of the personal accomplishments, both big and small, shared on this forum. And it's a little difficult not to be jealous of the uber-successful persons in their 30s and 40s who are able to ER, but I do not want to discourage anyone form posting their success stories. I find these personal stories very enlightening and sometimes motivating. Have I mentioned this forum is awesome!
I'm with BigE on this... I am awestruck at the savings and salaries that some of the folks in their 30's and 40's have put together and I commend them for the hard work and sacrifices that they made to get there. To draw an income at a younger age and choose to look beyond the present and well into the future is a wisdom and sacrifice that can inspire people at any age.

I am immensely grateful for the candid conversation and information from everyone who posts their accomplishments and openly discusses them here. If you feel discouraged, consider the fact that the people and discussions here are a small fraction compared to the people who aren't here and live financial lives with no regard or comprehension of the great things that are discussed and encouraged here. The fact that you are here should be most encouraging as the tools to FIRE are now defined and within your sights.

Thanks again to all who share their insights and stories... it is much appreciated by those of us who are on track (long or short) to being FIRE'd.
mistershankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistershankly View Post
...........I am immensely grateful for the candid conversation and information from everyone who posts their accomplishments and openly discusses them here. ...........
Personally, I just like to brag, but this is the only place that anyone listens.

Hello....hello....tap, tap.....is this thing on?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Personally, I just like to brag, but this is the only place that anyone listens.

Hello....hello....tap, tap.....is this thing on?

Me, too!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistershankly View Post

I am immensely grateful for the candid conversation and information from everyone who posts their accomplishments and openly discusses them here.
+1 , although I do notice that the candid statements sometimes offend a newer poster or two. and that's just in the last month. But in real life, everyone doesn't get a trophy.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
+1 , although I do notice that the candid statements sometimes offend a newer poster or two. and that's just in the last month. But in real life, everyone doesn't get a trophy.
There is sometimes a thin line between being a mentor or a tormentor.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

eh - I've found that they overlap considerably :-)
seabourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

I like the lyrics, It's wanting what you got"

And yes, there are some huge slammers along the water front in Charleston. I jogged daily along the water front route.

I am looking for something less however.
Cessna5354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Sniggle, don't be depressed, its not that difficult. #1 Stay out of debt, then watch you money grow, when people are always paying you instead of you paying them; #2 you don't need a lot of "stuff", live simple, it's less complicated and as you get older most the stuff will have given or thrown away - forget the "jones's"; #3 really understand the difference between saving and investing - saving means you get your principle back + more, with investments, e.g., stocks, you can loose it all & most individual investors by far loose money (Buffett #1 Rule: Never Loose Principle). At 30 I owed 40,000 1/2 Student loans, 1/2 Credit Card debt used to pay for food & rent while in college & worked too. Finally paid it all off in 1998 (go back to #1). Since 1998, and I'm no big executive, paid child support, and now at 56 worth about 1.3 in cash, retire - next year.
rjohnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #73
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniggle View Post
Yes, I believe I am.

I am still chuckling about the suggestion from someone to downsize the horses to shetland ponies....too funny.

All my worry may be for nothing....as this weekend I agreed to join my wife on a competitive trail ride which could possibly result in her receiving a life insurance windfall
Not to worry... With a sense of humor like that, you'll do well no matter what!

Except for a health scare and retirement at 53, we'd probably still be working. It's been 24 years of not working or paying taxes, and it happened on a heck of a lot less than a million dollars. More a matter of what one needs than what one wants, and the willingness to adjust to what one has.

For starters... drinking water-instead, at McDonalds or restaurants... 4X week @ $3/meal will give you an extra $10,000 if you retire at age 62. In our case, we like water and figure we've saved about $25,000 along the way in retirement. (periodic deposit 5% interest compounding)

It was intimidating coming here, to find "youngsters" earning more in a year, than I did in a decade, but the members are mostly more concerned with helping than bragging.

Enjoy the ride.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This thread was about inspiration. When did it turn into a whine-fest?
IIRC, the initial post was about jealousy and depression! :-)
Old 05-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
I'm afraid that we are considered to be "the rich" - even tho it took 20+ years to get the portfolio.....

Please keep that under your hat. Someone at the Cincinnati IRS office may google that up and be off to the races with their tax checking software. Please continue to use struggling instead of r**h.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

LOL! "struggling"!

Also, don't use the words "Patriot" or "Tea" in your business name. Why be a target?
Hiredgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
Yeah, it's always best to measure yourself against yourself -- your past self, that is -- not against other people. "Run your own race," as they say. As long as I feel like I'm doing better than I was a few years ago or a decade ago, I'm okay. Sometimes, if I want to boost my spirits, I'll reflect on what life was like for me when I was a teenager or early 20's (hint: miserable, depressed, lost). I've had a lot of ups and downs, but as long as my life is on an upward trajectory overall, I can feel okay.
+1

It can be a little hard to internalize, but honestly it really doesn't matter what others do or don't do to prepare for retirement. After all, they aren't going to get to live your retirement; you are!

Think of it as an extension of "life isn't fair" philosophy. In other words, if the people at work aren't saving as much as you are, and are living the high life, just remember that life isn't fair. Some of them probably have spouses with big incomes, or maybe a relative helped them to buy their house decades before you did at a lower price and it is all paid off. Life isn't fair.

Likewise, if someone is saving more than you, remember life isn't fair. You never know what someone else is faced with, alimony, elder care, a disabled child, or who knows what.

I love the way ER Eddie phrased it above: "run your own race".

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:30 AM   #78

There will always be those who have "more" than you do and there will always be those who have less. I was reminded just yesterday during a conversation with a pilot friend who has done a lot of charter flying and he spoke of being amazed at the level of poverty in south american countries.

Again I was reminded that a very large percentage of the world's population would be thrilled to have the storage shed in our back yard as a home.

And the fact remains that we do have the option of not having to work. How many will have to work until they physically cannot work any longer? I think it a safe bet that those outnumber those who have the option of retiring at any standard of living.

That said, I will never own a Rolls, or probably even a Benz. And I don't care because that just doesn't matter. To me. If it does, then keep on working.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #79
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Please keep that under your hat. Someone at the Cincinnati IRS office may google that up and be off to the races with their tax checking software. Please continue to use struggling instead of r**h.

Maybe change 1040 status to "unemployed" as well......
Old 05-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
And the fact remains that we do have the option of not having to work. How many will have to work until they physically cannot work any longer? I think it a safe bet that those outnumber those who have the option of retiring at any standard of living.
That is so true, and the thought of such a fate is frightening! Imagine having to work, and not being physically capable of doing so. Having to rely upon soup lines at free food kitchens, and other charity just in order to keep body and soul together. That is not my idea of "the golden years".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That said, I will never own a Rolls, or probably even a Benz. And I don't care because that just doesn't matter. To me. If it does, then keep on working.
You know, I thought I wanted a Mercedes until I could finally afford one. Somehow for me, that dream worked out better as a daydream than as a reality. When I finally could afford a Mercedes, I decided that I didn't actually want one. All I wanted was the dream, I guess. I prefer the Venza that I bought instead. A little luxury, but with lots of room for my stuff when heading out of town on hurricane evacuations.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote