Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Thoughts of Late
Old 08-16-2005, 11:06 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

Jarhead, I don't know WHY people persist in making fun of Marines.* They must not have enough opportunities to read posts like yours.

Meanwhile I'll keep doing what I love with no thought to profiting from it.* That's certainly been my testosterone-fueled investment experience...
Nords: Thanks, (I think).

Looking back on it, a long, long, time ago, I don't remember anybody making "fun" of me. Had that happened, there would have been 3 individuals that
would have that tatood on their memory. Myself, the other guy, and either the MP's or SP's that came out to clean up the aftermath.

That was then, this is now. You, or any other poster has carte-blanche to make "fun" of me. At my age I take any attention paid to me as a compliment.

Take Care, Jarhead

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2005, 01:23 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead
Looking back on it, a long, long, time ago, I don't remember anybody making "fun" of me.* Had that happened, there would have been 3 individuals that
would have that tatood on their memory.* Myself, the other guy, and either the MP's or SP's that came out to clean up the aftermath.
Pacific Command HQ (formerly USCINCPAC) is filled with senior Marine/Army staff officers. The joint command includes USAF & other USN officers and enlisted, and it's right in the middle of USMC Camp H.M. Smith. It gets a little competitive...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:13 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead
Nords: Thanks, (I think).

Looking back on it, a long, long, time ago, I don't remember anybody making "fun" of me. Had that happened, there would have been 3 individuals that
would have that tatood on their memory. Myself, the other guy, and either the MP's or SP's that came out to clean up the aftermath.

That was then, this is now. You, or any other poster has carte-blanche to make "fun" of me. At my age I take any attention paid to me as a compliment.

Take Care, Jarhead
Got Marines! When it positively, absolutely must be destroyed overnight!

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:18 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Got Marines!* When it positively, absolutely must be destroyed overnight!

Semper fi
Old 08-17-2005, 08:21 AM   #45

Quote:
The biggest problem with "doing what you love" is that the money doesn't always follow.
Funny but the few that always preach that have been lucky to experience both. Needless to say most people are not in their league.

Warren Buffet...sure
Steve Jobs preaches the same message...sure
Old 08-17-2005, 08:25 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Again I repeat. Not all folks are cut out to run their own business. Everyone is not alike! Some folks can turn their hobbies into businesses, and others will think it is the worst mistake they ever made. There are many paths to success in life. Enjoy yours and recognize that others can enjoy theirs in a 'different' way from you.
So true. I had a strong interest / hobby that became a side business. It was OK as long as it was a plaything, but once I became serious about trying to make money at it everything changed. A subtle change in psychology occurs when you go from "want to" to "have to". It took all the fun out of it PDQ. The business side was entertaining in it's own way but it killed the hobby dead. I'm considering starting up again after ER but only because turning a significant profit isn't important.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:20 AM   #47

Interesting conversation. I am glad to hear not everyone is thinking of a business in FIRE. I am thinking more to do stuff for myself and family that will save us money and cut down the need for extra cash flow (i.e. cutting wood-although that add a few bucks if I chop enough, looking for the best deals, changing my own oil etc. that I wouldn’t have as much time for in the work world) and allow the nestegg to take care of itself. Having customers sounds too much like having a boss.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:43 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle
business in FIRE
Oxymoronic.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 05:59 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Semper fi
And another thing.......
Although I am borderline misanthropic, I never met a Marine I didn't
like.

JG
Old 08-18-2005, 06:07 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
business in FIRE
Oxymoronic.
Hey I've been called worse 8)
My immediate goal is more FI that RE. I would really love to work with my son running some type of business. He's got 20 years to get his act together though (he's 3)
Old 08-18-2005, 07:27 AM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Marines are fun to argue with - mostly Navy in the family tree - I got the impression - that's what one is supposed to do.

Old Marines: New Orleans go to Mother's for lunch(Po- boy's). In Slidell - South Side Inn - da Sirloin burger. Ex Marines if such a thing as ex exists - open resturants - except for the SO's brother - he's just retired.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:39 PM   #52

I was in the Air Force, Navy, Army. I am a Marine! That is the difference. BTW I was in the Air Force. Never met a Marine I didn't like.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:50 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

I'm surrounded by ex-military at my work, and I too have notice I seem to enjoy the (ex?)Marines' company quite a bit.* It dawned on me why: they never whine!* They are a little more zealous about work than I care to be, but hey I'll take it!* I sit next to an ex-marine seargant.* Nice woman, about 5 foot 2, maybe 100 lbs.* I'm 6' 2" and 190 lbs, and my money would be on her in a fight.

I'm sure I'm about to offend somebody here, but I gotta tell you the ex-army enlisted at my work, by contrast, have complaining down to an art form.* One notable exception is a crusty ol' man about a year from regular retirement in the office next to me.* In a previous life, he was 1st seargant at some well known army base. The bandini can totally hit the fan at work and he's just a boulder in a thunderstorm: sure he knows it's there, but it don't bother him none.

Old 08-19-2005, 08:04 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
I sit next to an ex-marine seargant. Nice woman, about 5 foot 2, maybe 100 lbs. I'm 6' 2" and 190 lbs, and my money would be on her in a fight.
"A man has got to know his limitations" - CE

Quote:
I'm sure I'm about to offend somebody here, but I gotta tell you the ex-army enlisted at my work, by contrast, have complaining down to an art form.
Careful - there might be someone on the forum...