Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-15-2008, 01:34 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been junking thrift stores for 30 years. I have scored big, if you want to call it that. The one year I was in Chicago (3 years ago) got a Russian honey pot that a well respected antique dealer in Chicago said was worth about $200, a NEW mint condition Tiffany ashtray in the Tiffany blue box for $4 (worth $125-150), vintage designer purses worth $400 on ebay, etc. etc. etc.
Keep junking, because it is fun and you never ever know what you can run into.
Chicago has great junking, but Houston is pretty measly. Hear Florida is dynamite! And one of my goals when I am thru with my duties here is to visit L.A. and San Francisco to check out their junking (as well as visit, of course).
My son was raised on Goodwill/Salvation Army Polo shirts that kids wore to church a couple times and then donated them. At $25 a pop 25 years ago, I paid $4 each. And the shirts were pristine!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2008, 02:34 PM   #42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I suppose I am the only person in the Universe to not have purchased anything from eBay.
Nope, I never have either! Also I've never established a PayPal account.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:33 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Nope, I never have either! Also I've never established a PayPal account.
I've never done eBay. I did have/use a PayPal account; I wonder if it's still good.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:14 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I've never done eBay. I did have/use a PayPal account; I wonder if it's still good.
Thomas The Train Conductor's hat for a friend who wished to send a gift to a great grandson's birthday in Sldell.

First time - so now I have a Pay Pal account also.

heh heh heh
Old 02-21-2008, 06:12 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I scored a new looking Skyway rolling suitcase at a St. Vincent de Paul thrift store a bit ago - just happened in to waste some time and there it was - complete with lock, both keys, and the original hangtag with $210 price. Took it up to the checkstand and was told it would be mine-all-mine for $3.99. Okeedokee. Same store gave up a nice little Griswold frying pan the last time i was in for maybe $3. Rarely go in thrift stores, but if you are open sometimes things jump out at you.
Some of our best scores have been from "learn by burning" houses that the Fire Dept. is going to do practice burns on - we've removed 5-panel doors, wood windows, mouldings and trims of all kinds, wide real oak flooring, cabinets, fireplace mantles - all kinds of really good stuff to incorporate into new construction to give it a more substantial "real" look. A good part is it is often free except for your labor...
Old 02-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Some of our best scores have been from "learn by burning" houses
How does that work? Do they just let anyone go in there and pull things out? I'd think the liability issues would be huge.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
How does that work? Do they just let anyone go in there and pull things out? I'd think the liability issues would be huge.
And do you have to work fast before the flames get to you?
Old 02-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
It helps to be in the good ol' boy network - you keep your eyes open for houses that are vacant - when they get funky chip board put across the windows and the power lines are removed they are getting ready to burn it down. Maybe call your local fire department - also helps if you are in the historic home type person network - those people just hate to see good old stuff get destroyed. The FD doesn't much care what you remove as long as you put covers over the windows you remove so the house's burn characteristics remain the same. Get an address, contact your county assesor for the property owner's name - ask. Again, it helps if you know a guy or if they know someone who knows you aren't suit-happy. We dummied up a nominal fee maybe 1/2 the time.... Also fantastic for mature shrubs, plants of all kinds.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:24 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
And do you have to work fast before the flames get to you?
Yes. We had 1 day on the hottest day of the summer to get the oak flooring out of an old folks home - also got some great Yuccas - Another hot single day we pulled doors and trim from a 1912 hotel. A house we pulled a mantel and room dividing pillars from had a number of people stripping it out - kinda tricky what with the guy running a chainsaw around the perimeter of the livingroom to get the flooring - frankly i thought that was unnecessary and extreme - he only had to ruin one board at the side and the rest would have come up cleanly.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:31 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I suppose I am the only person in the Universe to not have purchased anything from eBay. This looks interesting, however:

"Latest financials; Pearlman items on eBay"

Money Talk | tampabay.com - St. Petersburg Times and tbt*
nope, I'm the other one.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
...a NEW mint condition Tiffany ashtray in the Tiffany blue box for $4 (worth $125-150), ...
Keep junking, because it is fun and you never ever know what you can run into.
Several years ago on a visit to New York City, I went to a resale shop that sold all kinds of clothing, jewelry and props used on several of the daily soap operas. As I don't watch any of them, that part was lost on me, but I did find a beautiful bracelet for I think $8 or $10. I bought it because it was a perfect match to a Tiffany necklace I own, but the sales person was sure it wasn't a Tiffany piece. I took it home, cleaned it up, and sure enough....there was the T & Co mark. The bracelet was featured in a Tiffany catalogue for $625!!
Old 02-27-2008, 08:31 AM   #52

Oh, WOW! See how beneficial it is to either live in a major city when it comes to junking? You would never find anything Tiffany where I am now. Maybe Tiffanie or Tifany, but never real Tiffany anything.
I'm in an area of about 400,000 yahoos at the Iowa-Illinois border the last 3 years, and the junking's just is lousy here. I looked already.
I found 2 WWII little statues of a pregnant woman with a funny saying for $4 each (probably cute during WWII but tacky now) that sell on ebay for $20, and a Kangol cap for $4 (worth $30, I think). I mean, it is hardly worth the gas to go over to the Salvation Army or Goodwills here. Very conservative area where nobody ever spends any big money--even if they do have it. Always been that way here and will never change, I guess.
I tell you, I am dying to see what is in the L.A., San Francisco and NYC junk stores in the future. Ahhh...such lofty dreams and goals I have...ha!
Old 02-27-2008, 01:32 PM   #53

Yeah, but I bet someone in your area is holding onto some valuable WWII memorabilia or a classic car parked in the barn that we'll see on Antiques Roadshow some day!

I love to go to the garage sales in the high net worth suburb nearest my home -- average homes there are $1.5 million and up -- way up! Anyway, a couple of years ago I stopped at one garage sale where the majority of items were from a young couple who were divorcing after I think one year of marriage. I bought a bunch of typical wedding gifts (a teak tray, silver serving dishes, towels -- some still in their gift boxes) for pennies on the dollar.

When I got home, I discovered that the gift cards were still in the boxes! Wonder if she ever got around to writing thank you notes for those gifts??
Old 02-27-2008, 02:04 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
Yeah, but I bet someone in your area is holding onto some valuable WWII memorabilia or a classic car parked in the barn that we'll see on Antiques Roadshow some day!

I love to go to the garage sales in the high net worth suburb nearest my home -- average homes there are $1.5 million and up -- way up! Anyway, a couple of years ago I stopped at one garage sale where the majority of items were from a young couple who were divorcing after I think one year of marriage. I bought a bunch of typical wedding gifts (a teak tray, silver serving dishes, towels -- some still in their gift boxes) for pennies on the dollar.

When I got home, I discovered that the gift cards were still in the boxes! Wonder if she ever got around to writing thank you notes for those gifts??
Maybe you should.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
.......... go to the garage sales in the high net worth suburb nearest my home
sounds like an oxymoron
Old 02-27-2008, 07:47 PM   #56

Achiever51 seems to know the mentality of this area well--people here have some very valuable old antique stuff and will be hanging on to it with their cold, dead hands, I think. People are always in the local papers with some cool, old item...but they won't sell it. This area may just be typical of mid-sized, established areas that are not transient at all (you are born here, you live here with your entire family around, and you die here...the end).
Old 02-27-2008, 08:31 PM   #57

We lived in Indy for awhile. Spouse found all sorts of treasures...the more rural, the better. The 2nd hand junk stores in rural areas are bargains compared to the 'antique gallaries' we find in the big cities...same junk, tho. Nothing exquisite, mind you. We always thought bartering/trading was more a way of life there than in the big city where people get everything from the store.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:34 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

My Mother lived in a nursing home for over 6 years. Before then she would make finds at the local Jr. League thrift shop. As much the laundry at the facility tried to take care of her things the antiseptics they must use took a toll on her clothes, so I went back to her former resale clothing sources. Mom always looked well turned out with fashionable duds, her fellow residents were none the wiser.

In my youth mother would say that the wealthy got that way by wise use of resources. Old money 'passes' things along, including clothing they can no longer use. Often residents in this facility are wearing clothing left by former residents with the finest of labels. Things would show up in Mom's closet and an aid would say "it looks nice on her". When she passed away we left Mother's things for use as the staff felt best.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

e-Bay? what's that? <kidding>

nope, no e-bay for this kid. went there once, got shell shocked and vowed never to return. too tempting!
Old 02-28-2008, 09:06 AM   #60

I have read on the net in a piece by a resale organization or someone high in junking that the coastline of America is not so good as the center of the country for junking. Makes sense.
And where I am now, I understand for Depression and other old glassware, you can pick it up for a song in SW Iowa. Dealers from Chicago--where the fancy antique stores are--go on auction junkets thru this western, NW Illinois and Iowa area alot; but, too, they go to places like W. Virginia--which I doubt is a hotbed of fancy antiquery (did I coin a new word?).
Since I am eldercaring my feeble parent, we watch alot of Court TV. Lots of suing ebay sellers. Lots of crooks selling, I think. And these buyers went thru PayPal, too. What is wrong with PayPal not to do anything about that? Really has made me balk at selling all the stuff I have here from an antique stall I had before thru ebay.