Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-28-2008, 09:16 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
sounds like an oxymoron
Well, the moron part might be accurate! In my area, the local paper runs notices of subdivision-wide sales, so you can cover a lot of territory in one trip. Seriously, some of these garage sales are just crazy! You can tell that the stuff is practically (or totally) brand new...sometimes it still has the original price tags on it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #62

I just have trouble picturing a truely upscale home featuring a garage sale. DW has been saying for years we're going to have a yard sale, meanwhile I take a load or two per month to the thrift store and try not to bring back more than Im donating. Now Im getting down to some stuff that might be valuable and may have to find a consignment shop

Old 02-29-2008, 06:47 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
Well, the moron part might be accurate! In my area, the local paper runs notices of subdivision-wide sales, so you can cover a lot of territory in one trip. Seriously, some of these garage sales are just crazy! You can tell that the stuff is practically (or totally) brand new...sometimes it still has the original price tags on it.
and if you wait for the last day, late afternoon, sometimes the people will give you stuff for free cuz they are burned out from hauling it out of and into and out of and into the garage. pickings can be slim, but ya never know. this is how I get my ceramic plant pots. very pricey at new retail, but available for a song at garage sales. i like the old fashioned glazed kind from long ago.

the better the neighborhood, the cooler the stuff.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:30 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I just have trouble picturing a truely upscale home featuring a garage sale. ....
Au contraire! I've even been to garage excuse me, estate sales in gated communities around here! And, unfortunately due to the increasing numbers of foreclosures, it seems that just about every weekend there's another garage sale followed a few weeks later by the sheriff's auction in some of the best neighborhoods around! (Not too long ago, out of curosity I went to one of the foreclosure auctions of a home assessed at $1.3 million. The highest bid at auction was $625,000...an amazing thing to witness, a bunch of people gathered on the front lawn with the auctioneer on the front porch, like the old West or something!)
Old 02-29-2008, 10:03 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
foreclosure auctions of a home assessed at $1.3 million. The highest bid at auction was $625,000...
Could be worse -- Executive wins Cherry Hills home auction - The Denver Post

"Kitty's Heaven is Mousy's Hell."
Old 02-29-2008, 10:28 AM   #66
Administrator

Quote:
unfortunately due to the increasing numbers of foreclosures, it seems that just about every weekend there's another garage sale followed a few weeks later by the sheriff's auction in some of the best neighborhoods around!
May I suggest that as well as garage sales, consignment stores may be worth checking out in your area? After Katrina, I expected to see a lot more estate sales than I did, due to wealthy residents hightailing it out of here en masse. There were a few more, but the consignment furniture stores and other consignment stores had some real treasures (and very low prices!) at that time. We got some terrific bargains there.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #67

In Australia the ONLY way to sell a home is at auction from what I was told when I got my...yup, auctioneer's license around 1984. Just something I was interested in, so spent 2 weeks of my vacation at the best auction school in the country (Missouri Auction School in Kansas City, MO.). Great experience and fun.
You can call me "Colonel" now....(everyone who graduates from there becomes an automatic "Colonel").
Old 02-29-2008, 07:44 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Since I am eldercaring my feeble parent, we watch alot of Court TV. Lots of suing ebay sellers. Lots of crooks selling, I think. And these buyers went thru PayPal, too. What is wrong with PayPal not to do anything about that? Really has made me balk at selling all the stuff I have here from an antique stall I had before thru ebay.
With PayPal and many other online companies I think it is that they do not want to pay someone to spend time on the telephone which can drag on to a lengthy conversation.

Before I retired I worked in law enforcement on computer crime and computer forensics stuff, including online fraud. Years ago, on a worldwide LE list serve the complaints from law enforcement people were legion in trying to reach a "live human being" at Ebay and PayPal security. Those two were the worst. I'm still on the list serve and they have now established a tightly guarded list of contact information for those and other companies, such as AOL. But each contact took hours or days to reach.

The reason the list is tightly guarded is that the promise is extracted that their contact information is to be given only to other law enforcement people. Apparently they have little interest in dealing with the unwashed masses who have been bilked, by any means other than E-mail.

For this reason I will deal ONLY with online companies who post both a physical address and a telephone number on their web sites.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #69

Quote:
Since I am eldercaring my feeble parent, we watch alot of Court TV. Lots of suing ebay sellers. Lots of crooks selling, I think. And these buyers went thru PayPal, too. What is wrong with PayPal not to do anything about that? Really has made me balk at selling all the stuff I have here from an antique stall I had before thru ebay.
I assume you have not spent much time on ebay. There are lots of 'too good to be true' deals there. Ebay is notoriously arms-length when it comes to resolving disputes. They really depend on thier user-rating system. I think Ebay now owns paypal, so........
Old 03-02-2008, 05:09 AM   #70

Thanks for all that info, Walt 34 and jazz4cash. I've purchased about 100 things on ebay and never had a problem, but then I am one of those very immediate payers who does look at the ratings of the sellers before buying anything. I've done okay so far, but it do make one leary. Lots and lots of scammers on ebay, so I am not sure I would buy anything very expensive on there (over $300--probably not).
Old 03-02-2008, 12:16 PM   #71

Everytime I peruse the listings on eBay (Motors, usually), the Will Smith song "Wild, Wild West" starts playing in my head. Definitely buyer beware. Not surprising many on this forum are Craigslist types. I listed a Nordic trak ski machine on CL under FREE STUFF and got deluged with offers, my intent was to do first come-first served, but I revised the offer and got a Starbucks gift card in exchange...I think it was $10.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:15 PM   #72

Man, you can be had for cheap, jazz4cash...
Old 03-04-2008, 11:52 PM   #73

Quote:
Man, you can be had for cheap, jazz4cash...
>>>>OUCH!! (I knew I shouldda left that part out)
Old 03-06-2008, 09:26 AM   #74

Well, a $10 Starbucks for a Nordic Trac...wish I lived closed to you. I surely did not mean that insultingly, jazz4cash. Just shows you aren't greedy for money is all.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:30 PM   #75

Quote:
Well, a $10 Starbucks for a Nordic Trac...wish I lived closed to you. I surely did not mean that insultingly, jazz4cash. Just shows you aren't greedy for money is all.
No insult taken. I chuckled when I read your response. I felt sorta bad raising my price from FREE, but seeing how much the guy that got it appreciated the bargain, it was a reward in itself. When I donate to goodwill or salvation army, I imagine that someone will appreciate the item, but it felt good to see firsthand. It just dawned on me I can't write the Nodic Trak off on my taxes, tho.............
Old 03-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #76

The warnings notwithstanding, I've bought a few things from Ebay too. One was a $12 book - figured I could afford to lose that much - and the other was some $35 lawn sprinklers that Home Depot was dumping for $5/each at the end of the summer. Stuff like that. But nothing over what I was willing to lose and feel stupid about.