Time to baby plan

Sisyphus said:
Thank you, everyone! We're currently searching for daycares. For those of you keeping score at home, they're averaging around $200 per week. At that rate, I have to wonder how some folks justify sending both parents to work if there are 2 or more kids to put in daycare... it seems as if it would be a money losing battle to me unless you are at a high income. Unfortunately, niether of us has family in the area so daycare is key.

We decided to forgo daycare. After factoring in the costs, it was not worth it for DW to go back to work. To keep her career roling and ensure some adult interaction, she started her own business, which takes up maybe 5 hours a week now.

Congratulations!!!!

Lots of great posts, but as a first time mommy (DS is 1 y 2 wk old) I got lots of advice too. :D

So you're due in the spring which puts you at 2nd trimester?......

NOW is the time to....
-travel transoceanic. If you ever wanted to kiss your wife on the top of Eiffel tower (alone), sample wines in the vineyards of tuscany, roam the streets of Bangladesh...DO IT NOW!
-eat at any non-baby friendly restaurant.
-take any car trips you have EVER wanted to. Our DS hated his car seat until just recently.
-Work on any hobbies that require two hands and long stretches of time.
-SLEEP.

Clean and organize. Declutter. Your wife will want to wash the baseboards and will scrub down the refrigerator 3 times before the baby comes. That is okay and your job will be to give her lots of massages.

As PP said, I would hold off on buying most things as long as possible.
I noticed that the closer our due date got, the number of gifts grew exponentially. Since this is your first, lotsa people will give you first baby gifts. My dad found a diaper genie in excellent condition on the curb.

Things I found useful that we bought: rectal thermometer, a bulb nose sucker thingie, baby nail clippers, pretty painted wooden hangers, batteries for camera etc.

We cloth diaper (and cloth wipies) and also EC (elimination communication).
http://www.diaperfreebaby.org/
Initially we used disposables, but switched to cloth when I felt I had more energy.
R these not the cutest things or what??
http://www.kissaluvs.com/fitted-diapers.html
http://www.muttaqinbaby.com/diapers.html
If you sew, then you can DIY and use yummy organic bamboo and cotton velour.

Re: baby food, DS refused the jarred stuff and would only eat what we ate. We tried every flavor of organic stuff. Would rec just get a couple of jars and follow what the kid wants.

Keep a journal. Don't forget to get hand/footprints early (like we did) and take lots of showing how small baby is pictures...like in your hands, comparing finger and feet size.

Enjoy! A wonderful journey awaits you!

Hey, Sisyphus, apparently yesterday Oprah and Priscilla Dunstan solved all our problems...

... well, about 14 years too late for spouse & me. But at least the kid is finally sleeping through the night.

Thanks, Nords. Oprah saves the day.

There may be something to it, but I think all babies make virtually any sound at any given time. We'll see!

So, I have to wait 14 years before I get a full night's sleep? Of course, by that point they're keeping you up at night for other reasons!

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom