Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Time to redouble my efforts
Old 07-23-2004, 10:14 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Has anyone tried getting a pair of hair clippers and doing their own hair...?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2004, 11:01 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I ate PB&J sandwiches or skipped lunch for most of
my career. *Harvested the results soon after ER with
a huge crop of gall stones that even surprised my
doctor.

Moral....take a break and eat a well balanced lunch
even on the most hectic days, kids.
Charlie, I love PB&J, so I googled for causes of gallstones. Most of it looked something like this:

No clear relationship has been proven between diet and gallstone formation. However, low-fiber, high-cholesterol diets, and diets high in starchy foods have been suggested as contributing to gallstone formation.

About 30% of people over the age of 60 get gallstones, and I don't see that many people eating PB&J in the workplace, so I suspect PB&J lovers are OK

(To hedge your bets, go easy on the jelly, get the PB w/o added sugar, and use a high-fiber bread. And be careful out there -- food kills!)

Old 07-23-2004, 11:23 PM   #23

I've been cutting my kids hair since they were babies. They're 17 and 18 now. Course they're both letting it grow these days.....but I did cut it until recently. I used one of those hair shavers, worked great. I only had the occasional slip...causing a bald spot. Fortunately it was when they were really little.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:30 PM   #24

Quote:
I get my hair cut twice a year whether it needs it or not. *Cost is not critical to my retirement.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:04 AM   #25

One of my very best friends, age 70+, gave up trimming
his few remaining wisps and now just uses his shaver.

It's hard to miss him on a sunny day.

Cheers,

Charlie
Old 07-24-2004, 05:57 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to cut my own hair in my backpacking in Europa days.

Just comb your hair with your fingers and cut everything that sticks out with your Swiss Army knife scissors. The next morning, rough up your hair with your hands and trim anything that looks too long or sticks out.

Believe it or not, this actually works well. All you need is a small scissors and mirror.

Old 07-24-2004, 09:21 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Why cut your hair?

I started a ponytail 27 months ago (I was afraid it was too late).

Saving $6.25 about every six weeks: >$100.

Embarrassing kid by having the longest hair in the house-- priceless.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 12:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Pre-ER, my 'hair' spending was $1000/yr give or take $100 - 200 depending on the number of 'executive presentations', crisis of confidence or you-name-it-I've-been-thru-it.

Fast forward to ER, my 'hair' expense is approx $120.00/yr give or take $50 allocated to 'special occasions'. I've found out atleast so far that my family and friiends loved me for who I am and not how I looked with my designer haircut.
Anyway, we'll see how that goes.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:35 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

re: clippers

We bought a dog trimming kit to avoid paying $40 per clip on our little Lhasa Apsos. Now, since my wife is gettin pretty good at it, I think I'll line up after the dog.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:07 PM   #30

Quote:
.....$40 per clip
Anyone with bangs (male or female of the human species) knows that you can save $10 - $25 per clip every 2 months.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:02 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Just don't eat a PB&J sandwich before cutting your own hair...
Old 07-24-2004, 08:30 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
New Jersey? *Which exit *

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 08:48 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Back to redoubling those efforts:

I make a quick sandwich (PB&J or the like) to bring to work along with snacks from home. *After a while, you find that you don't need a fantastic lunch, you just need something to put in your belly. *My whole attitude about food changed the more frugal I got. *I'm not saying you have to exist on beans and oatmeal, but a simple lunch and dinner serves the purpose and saves money..
I gotta disagree on this one. I freely admit that I am a foodie, but I find that good food is a cheap luxury. Especially if you enjoy cooking as I do, a few extra dollars worth of ingredients can be transformed into a meal that at least equals what you get at most restaurants. Plus you can always explore cuisines that are not readily available where you live, especially with mail-order ingredients.
I gotta d

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 07:43 AM   #34
Confused about dryer sheets

I love, love, love good food as much as the next person...but for the everyday, simplicity works for me. Living in NY, I don't think I could get away with not enjoying all there is to sample!
Old 07-26-2004, 09:21 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I am also a foodie and love good food. So my solution to lunch is to cook more for dinner the night before and pack portions of it for lunch. We have microwave here at work so come lunch hour, I have a hot, homemade food.

One day it may be some braised tofu with veggie and rice, other day it may be some pasta with chicken and homemade basil pesto. Today I am having some wonton noodle soup (the wonton is homemade with chicken filling instead of pork).

My lunch is healthier and tastier than PB&J (although I do love PB&J) but it doesn't take extra time/effort to prepare. Also I get to tease coworkers - they always say, "Hey your lunch smells really good. What are you having?".

I told them no matter how much they drool, they are not getting any of my lunch!

Jane