Time warp

heyyou

Recycles dryer sheets
Wondering if now is a good time to invest? When will you be spending your retirement money? 30 to 50 years from now? Back up today's equity prices by that amount of time. Was that a good investment in 1966? Regardless of the interim market gyrations, go ahead and buy now for your retirement needs.

SPAM, SPAM, SPAM.........wonderful SPAM!!!!!!!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

What was the point of that spam? Did it contain some subliminal advertising that I can't pick up on.

My point is that the year 2007-2010 prices of this year's acquisitions, do not matter to a 30 year old buying into a retirement account. I see so many people dithering about valuations. Forty years from now, it doesn't matter if you paid + or - 10% of this year's price. If you invest monthly for 30 years, some purchases will be on the eve of bear markets and some will be on the eve of bull markets. Waiting until it is clear, is not a good plan. Worrying about bear markets is a waste of energy. Allocate well, but don't spend your time worrying about stuff that you cannot change, i.e. market returns.

FinanceDude said:
SPAM, SPAM, SPAM.........wonderful SPAM!!!!!!!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sorry Finance Dude! - This is not spam! - Blatant spam is usually recognized with a Poster that has 1 post and links to another website!

Cut-Throat said:
Sorry Finance Dude! - This is not spam! - Blatant spam is usually recognized with a Poster that has 1 post and links to another website!

Well......at least the 90th post was clearer.........for a moment I thought I was reading a Hitchcock script.......... :D

It did sound like kind of like an advertisement ("Wondering if now is a good time to invest?"...) but then there was no mention of a product... which just confused me.

macdaddy said:
It did sound like kind of like an advertisement ("Wondering if now is a good time to invest?"...) but then there was no mention of a product... which just confused me.

That's what stumped me..........no ponding the table message........... :D

Regardless of the interim market gyrations, go ahead and buy now for your retirement needs.

This is a good example of why people tend to push dollar cost averaging and automatic monthly investing. Instead of trying to time the market and often doing more damage than good to your portfolio, it's often best to just invest a set amount every month. In months when prices are high, you'll automatically buy fewer shares, while in months when prices are lower, you'll automatically buy more.

Back
Top Bottom