Join Early Retirement Today

Re: To all of you Young Dreamers
Old 12-31-2005, 06:15 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
I was a paperboy about 1955/56.* Also, a bagboy.* Both in New Orleans. Didn't make enough to do anything, but it did teach me to work and to earn my own money.* I never count that time in my "working career length" of 43 years, but if I did, we're looking at 47 or so.* Slept late this morning; didn't feel guilty.*
I got up today
at 5 am to see
DW off to work. Back to bed at 6. Up with the dogs around 7am, then back to bed until around 8 or so. Had lunch with my folks and then a short nap at their house. I don't feel guilty either.

JG

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2005, 06:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
I got up today
at 5 am to see
DW off to work. Back to bed at 6. Up with the dogs around 7am, then back to bed until around 8 or so. Had lunch with my folks and then a short nap at their house. I don't feel guilty either.

JG
Are there any other ER guys that send their women off on the streets to earn money while they lounge about in silk pajamas and smoking jackets - puffing on a cuban, sipping an espresso, twirling their diamond pinkie ring and posting on ER Forum

Old 12-31-2005, 07:03 PM   #23

I never did the paper route thing, but when I was 13 I started working for this lady who was the president of the local SPCA.* She had a big old house with a big yard, and I'd do housework and yardwork for her.* It was 1983 when I started working for her, and I made $3.50 per hour.* Since she was associated with the SPCA, she was always bringing home strays, or animals that would otherwise have been put to sleep.* At her peak she had like 30 cats and 5 dogs!* * It was a big house, but still!

Let's just say I had plenty to keep me busy!* She actually bumped me to $4.00 per hour around 1985, which wasn't bad considering minimum wage was $3.35 at the time, and that $4.00 per hour was either cash or check, so I wasn't paying taxes or SS on it.

She passed away in 1986 from breast cancer, and after that I worked at a nursery school that summer, doing lawn/maintenance work, and then that fall worked at a veterinary clinic through the summer of '88.* Then I got a job as a dishwasher at Denny's when I entered college, and soon became a host and then a waiter.* By the time I finally got fed up (too heavy of a workload at college, plus my Granddad took ill with lung cancer and passed away) and quit in April 1990, I had a bank account total of around $22,000.

Unfortunately though I blew through it pretty quickly.* Part of the problem is that I have one achilles heel...antique cars.* I bought a '57 DeSoto in the fall of 1990, when I wasn't even working.* I finally picked up a part time job at a department store (Hecht's, for those of you in the Maryland/DC/Va and vicinity) in the fall of 1991, and I think by that time I had spent down to around $18,000, which wasn't bad all things considered.* From then on I really didn't track it like I should have, but I got a part time job with McDonnell Douglas in the fall of '92 making $10 an hour, and thought I had it made.* By the December of 1994 when I bought my condo, I think I was down to around $5,000 or so.* And once I got married in July 1995, my wife took care of what little was left in short order!* * Damn it's amazing how fast it can go! Although looking back, I'm really shocked at how quickly I went from $18K in fall '91 to $5K a little over 3 years later. I did total a car (not the DeSoto) in early 1992, but got paid about what I paid for it, and went out and bought another one like it (a Dodge Dart). It wasn't as reliable as the other one had been though, and I had to put a lot more into repairs. And then in April 1994 I bought a '67 Catalina convertible, but I was also working full time by then, plus still had the part time job at Hechts. I really wish I'd tracked my expenses better back then!
Old 12-31-2005, 08:06 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
Are there any other ER guys that send their women off on the streets to earn money while they lounge about in silk pajamas and smoking jackets - puffing on a cuban, sipping an espresso, twirling their diamond pinkie ring and posting on ER Forum
Yeah me, except for the silk pajamas, smoking jacket, cuban, espresso, and the pinkie ring.

I usually make my wife breakfast at 5am and then pack her off with a cup of homemade starbucks to go right about the time the baby wakes up and wants his breakfast.

Thats right, i'm Mr. Mom. I'm currently rewiring the house for 220, 221, whatever it takes...hold on while I go get my reciprocating saw...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 08:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
Yeah me, except for the silk pajamas, smoking jacket, cuban, espresso, and the pinkie ring.

I usually make my wife breakfast at 5am and then pack her off with a cup of homemade starbucks to go right about the time the baby wakes up and wants his breakfast.

Thats right, i'm Mr. Mom. I'm currently rewiring the house for 220, 221, whatever it takes...hold on while I go get my reciprocating saw...
Good for you!

Have 2 kids away at college most of the time and one on his own.
So, I'm a sleep when my wife takes off...when she's gone I get off my silk sheets
and have Uma the live in housekeeper get me the espresso and light my cuban and well you know...
Old 01-01-2006, 06:07 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()

Thats right, i'm Mr. Mom.*
I'm "Mr. Mom" too, but no kids here, just 4 pesky dogs. Actually, I hate the job
but I'm kind of "stuck" with it. I didn't inherit any "handy genes"
which is my cross to bear.

JG
Old 01-01-2006, 09:05 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Three dogs, three cats, three people...somebody always needs to be paid attention to, fed, a water bowl refilled, a bottle warmed or something needs to be fixed or installed.

I have no idea how i'd manage to fit a job outside the home into this. Occasionally my wife asks if I'd rather still have my old job. After a careful consideration that takes .02 seconds, I say "NO!".

The lady across the street had twins the month after Gabe was born. Her husbands out the door before 6 and doesnt come home until after 11. Not sure what he does. Anytime I'm having a tough day I just have to spot her hauling her twins and the other two kids they have from car to house.

But some day maybe i'll have more time for that cuban/uma thing.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:13 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by piranha
$70 a week from the paper route
times
52 weeks in a year
times
7 years
equals
$25,480 in cash (not including interest) by the time I was 16 years old. Allow that to grow for another 6 years (with interest) and when my parents turned over the accounts to me... I had around $34,000 in money I had earned on my own in savings.
I am quiting my day job and finding a job as a paper boy. I will probably get more exercise that way than sitting in an office all day!

Niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:15 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry
I am quiting my day job and finding a job as a paper boy. I will probably get more exercise that way than sitting in an office all day!
And there are the Christmas tips and cookies.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:42 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry
Mine drives around in an old minivan sucking down coffee while one of his kids throws the papers out of a back window. If that counts as exercise, i'm IN!
Old 01-03-2006, 09:43 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

I wish I could convince my friends to see the light, it's a lost cause. We are just the exceptional ones.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:41 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
I wish I could convince my friends to see the light, it's a lost cause. We are just the exceptional ones.
Same here. I told a coworker who's about 30 of my plans, and his response was, "I'm working till I'm 65. Why wouldn't I"? I guess he assumes SS will be there when he's 65? Maybe.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:16 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yeah, I've practically given up in trying to talk to people about that stuff.* It's hard enough getting a positive response about being fiscally prudent, let alone taking the time and effort for FIRE.*

Oh well, I just keep quiet.* I don't stop looking for those exceptions to the rule, though.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:15 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow-tie
Yeah, I've practically given up in trying to talk to people about that stuff.* It's hard enough getting a positive response about being fiscally prudent, let alone taking the time and effort for FIRE.*

Oh well, I just keep quiet.* I don't stop looking for those exceptions to the rule, though.
You should always be on the lookout for exceptions to the rule. Surrounding yourself with like-minded people only strengthens your resolve to pursue FIRE.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:32 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
You should always be on the lookout for exceptions to the rule. Surrounding yourself with like-minded people only strengthens your resolve to pursue FIRE.
Exactly why I come here, amigos!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:45 AM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm not sure how much of a saving nature is taught and how much is just a natural part of that person. We have two children, daughter 19 and son 17, both earned money baby sitting and cutting grass (son) at about 12- 14 and then started working part time jobs with pay check beginning their junior year of high school. Our daughter has always been frugal and has amassed a savings account of over $6K and she pays for car repairs, college books and meal plan. Our son on the other hand has about $500 saved and spends it like there is no tomorrow. Both have been taught the same value of saving and earning a living but they react differently.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:54 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2FIRE
I'm not sure how much of a saving nature is taught and how much is just a natural part of that person.... Both have been taught the same value of saving and earning a living but they react differently.
I agree with that for the most part.* My mother has told me how I use to go shopping with her as a little tyke and compare prices.* She said she how no idea where that came from.* I don't remember it, so I can't say if she's blowing smoke or not.* I do remember as I got older going shoe shopping with her and looking for the best value, not really paying attention to name brands.* That subsided a bit, but not completely.

I may have been born with a penchant for frugality, but I definitely know it was reinforced by my father, with the way he talked about money, and with the example(s) he set.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:19 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm glad that most people don't see the light. Someone has to work and borrow in order to make savings pay off and ER possible.