Join Early Retirement Today

Today's My Last Day!!!
Old 03-10-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Today's My Last Day!!!

....not for ER but it is my last day at work before my one year maternity leave starts Unfortunately, I know that one year will fly by since it always does when you're having fun. Bambino is due Apr. 3rd so not much longer now
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Today's My Last Day!!!
Old 03-10-2006, 01:56 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

CONGRATS Calgary_girl!

A wonderful experience awaits (well... after the delivery I guess)

...from Water Valley Boy (60 min NW of Calgary)
Old 03-10-2006, 02:43 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Enjoy your year....and let us know when the baby arrives.

Here's hopes for a quick and easy delivery..
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:02 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Aww, don't worry you'll be back to work before you know it.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
Aww, don't worry you'll be back to work before you know it.
Then she will be working two jobs.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:31 PM   #6

Good Luck Calgary Girl I'm hoping you don't have to go back when the year is up, unless of course you want to.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

Good luck and enjoy that baby. Mine is already 9 months and it sure has flown by!! Oh, and IMO, the Epidural is a great thing!!
J-Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:38 PM   #8

Congratulations and good luck!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:40 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations. Enjoy your time with your new baby. It goes so fast. Good luck with the delivery.

Best wishes,
LL
LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 10:00 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

My "babies" are 29 and 33 already and it seems like just yesterday that I stood in the delivery room and watched them being born. Enjoy every minute, time with your children goes so fast.

setab
Old 03-11-2006, 10:32 PM   #11

May I ask if this one year leave is paid? If so, how can I investigate becoming pregnant in Canada?
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 11:48 PM   #12

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! So far, I've had a fairly easy pregnancy but I'm bracing myself for the delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsOfVeal
May I ask if this one year leave is paid? If so, how can I investigate becoming pregnant in Canada?
Yup, this is one year paid leave In Canada, you collect EI (Employment Insurance) for one year and normally your company tops it up to a certain percentage. My company provides a top up up to 80% for the first 6 months. The last 6 months I'll only receive EI which is about $500/week. At the end of the year when I go back to work my company has to put me back in my current position or a similar position at my current salary.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:59 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Eh, don't worry about the delivery, worry about having a newborn who sleeps twenty hours a day--in twenty minute increments, punctuated by incessant shrill wailing.

Seriously, have a marvelous year with your infant. It is truly a magical time and it goes by too, too quickly.

(with a tear in my eye. I just went out to dinner with my 17 year old son. He has grown to be a wonderful person, talented, smart and funny. But I miss the little guy with bald gums and the big slobbery grin.)
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 12:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawny Dangle
Eh, don't worry about the delivery, worry about having a newborn who sleeps twenty hours a day--in twenty minute increments, punctuated by incessant shrill wailing.
Thanks for reminding me about that part!
Old 03-12-2006, 09:56 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Ooooh, spouse delivered one of those! Our daughter had a never-ending hunger, too, and sucked spouse dry for a month before we had to shift to formula. Consumption promptly leaped to over a quart a day and weight gain went off the charts.

By age two our kid had "advanced" to two-hour naps between wakeups. But some of those wakeups were longer than the intervening naps.

The wakeups tapered off by the time she was in first grade but technically still haven't stopped. Our kid reminds us that she hasn't awakened us since she turned 13, but I figure it's only a matter of time until I'll be waiting up for her anyway.

Every time we see a happily sleeping baby conked out in a stroller or on a shoulder, we bring it to our kid's attention and say "You were never like that. Imagine what your kids will be like someday!" It helps ease the pain a little.

I hope you never need to read it, but back then our lifesaving reference was "Your Fussy Baby" by the Sears. I think this is the latest version.

The best thing about having a kid like this is recent research speculating that they become independent by age 16 and move out of the house shortly afterward. At least that's what I've been telling her every month for the last 13 years...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:00 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Teething appears to be the only thing that wakes Gabe up. After a few months he went to sleeping all night, but when the teeth started coming in, he was up and down. At this point, even with the back teeth coming in, he sleeps 10-12 hours at night and is good for a pair of 60-90 minute naps. Almost always wakes up happy, which is what makes me doubt that he's got any of my genetic material at all...

My dads favorite line though... "I slept like a baby! ... ... Woke up cryin' every 20 minutes all night long!".
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:57 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, my first born never slept through the night until after age two. I remember my husband and I standing next to his basinet at 2 am about a week after his birth. My husband said, wearily, "we'll never sleep again, will we?" and I started to cry.

No naps after age two either, so we were on duty 100% of the time.

Child two slept all night at 6 months, but she was the climber. We had to be up at 5 am to get her out of her crib or else. At 9 months I found her hanging upside down from the top crib rail, desperately clinging with white knuckles, crying into her eyebrows (they were soaked.) She had those ol' monkey genes alright. We already had her crib in the lowest position, so we had to get rid of it.

I'm editing to add my favorite tip for calming a fussy baby: put him/her in a snuggly bed of warm laundry in a basket and put it on top of the dryer. Turn dryer on. You might catch a few winks yourself, but be sure the basket doesn't rumble itself off the top of the dryer. Our son would also sleep soundly in his carseat if the car was going over 50 mph. This also precludes getting any sleep yourself, although you will be tempted.

Now that I have two teenagers, I kinda miss those baby days.
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 02:23 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Paragoric...

Quote:
But I miss the little guy with bald gums and the big slobbery grin.
I still look like that... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 04:01 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Our son would also sleep soundly in his carseat if the car was going over 50 mph. This also precludes getting any sleep yourself, although you will be tempted.
Worked like a charm. We used to pull the car in the garage, close the garage door, lean the driver's seat back, and sleep until the kid woke up.

Quote:
Now that I have two teenagers, I kinda miss those baby days.
No way. Never again. Nuh-unh. Not even for a Scooby snack.

I'm just glad that we encountered this type on the FIRST attempt, instead of on #3 or #4...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 06:34 PM   #20

Gee, thanks for all the great stories guys!