Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Tracking finances
Old 06-22-2006, 08:55 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
I read this and I am trying to decide if you are joking. It seems like it almost has to be a joke, but then I can't remember anything in any of your other posts that would indicate that this would be your type of humor.

Is this a joke?

Ha
Ha: After reading a number of his previous posts, I'd be willing to bet you a bottle of Scotch that he's quite serious.

Remembering back to a couple of years ago when I stumbled onto this board, and after reading a number of posts over a couple of weeks, thinking to myself, "who are these guys"? The answer, of course, as I found out was Engineers, and Computor guys and gals.

Again, although setting the bar at Olympic Heights re: being anal-retentive, I'm willing to bet he was quite serious.

That's entertainment.!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2006, 12:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
Ha:* After reading a number of his previous posts, I'd be willing to bet you a bottle of Scotch that he's quite serious.

Remembering back to a couple of years ago when I stumbled onto this board, and after reading a number of posts over a couple of weeks, thinking to myself, "who are these guys"?* The answer, of course, as I found out was Engineers, and Computor guys and gals.

Again, although setting the bar at Olympic Heights re: being anal-retentive, I'm willing to bet he was quite serious.

That's entertainment.!

I agree Jarhead. I'll bet there are several folks here that have very detailed spreadsheet-like programs that contain estimated expenses out 30+ years. Me included. It is not anal-retetention it is called complex finances. I believe I have a pretty good idea of what my fixed expenses will be like for the next 10-15 years and can estimate what they might be like for the next 5-10 years after that. I know they are only estimates so I use them only for gross ideas of cash flow.

If I could do mine on a matchbook cover I would but I have too many variables to consider so it become a more complex task.

Old 06-24-2006, 09:53 AM   #23

Quote:
I read this and I am trying to decide if you are joking. It seems like it almost has to be a joke, but then I can't remember anything in any of your other posts that would indicate that this would be your type of humor.

Is this a joke?

Ha
No Joke really. It's an automated crystal ball. 99% of the leg work was done during my previous employment. It was fun creating it and I got paid a great salary while developing it. Hey, I had a lot of free time on my hands (employer's choice)
Using excel makes it easy. I use a a several tables (SS payments, inflation rates, growth rates, etc.) that control all the forcasted numbers.
Since I have been retired only 15 months, I need want some visual tools to see how my finances are doing.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:07 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond
No Joke really. It's an automated crystal ball..
Well, I am impressed. I can't even forecast whether I will have sex in the coming week, let alone what my finances will be 40 years from now.

Ha
Old 06-24-2006, 12:54 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well, I am impressed. I can't even forecast whether I will have sex in the coming week, let alone what my finances will be 40 years from now.
Maybe the women are looking at your finances and making their own forecasts...

Sorry. Cheap shot. We really need Trombone Al's beaver back on board.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:44 AM   #26

Quote:

Ha
When it "comes" to sex, no forcast is necessary. I know I haven't had it for a long while and I know I ain't gonna have it for a while longer. No need for a crystal ball here. Of course, I am talking with another person.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:20 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond
When it "comes" to sex, no forcast is necessary. I know I haven't had it for a long while and I know I ain't gonna have it for a while longer. No need for a crystal ball here.
Just throw on a little "Frank", or whatever you use for "mood music", a glass of good Vino,
and snuggle up with your spread-sheet, for a perfect Sat. Night. 8)

You'll stay out of trouble for sure that way.

Old 06-25-2006, 11:46 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I have Quicken Deluxe 2004 sitting on the shelf here, unloaded and never used. With ER starting this Friday, June 30, I was thinking I now will have time to use it. Is this 2004 version OK to get started with or should I go pop for the latest version and have it from the get-go?
thanks.

youbet
Old 06-25-2006, 12:13 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
I have Quicken Deluxe 2004 sitting on the shelf here, unloaded and never used.* With ER starting this Friday, June 30, I was thinking I now will have time to use it.* Is this 2004 version OK to get started with or should I go pop for the latest version and have it from the get-go?
Loyalty is a great thing. You arived at* ER with 2004, so I'd say ride the one who brung ya, but just be sure you load her properly.

Ha
Old 06-25-2006, 01:47 PM   #30

It's amazing how a innocuous thread such as "tracking finance expenses" quickly morphs into sex talk. Not that I'm complaining or anything....

I bought Quicken Premier and found it to be a PIA, IMHO. I felt like I was back in my bean counting days using general ledger systems before I crossed over into IT. I just do not want to set-up a chart of accounts, produce P & L's and balance for personal fiscal activities. Then there's the whole reconciliation and journal entering "plug" numbers to make my accounts balance. Way too anal for me. :P Another thing the "ka-ching" sound everytime I did a bank entry was truly annoying (yeah, I could've turn off the sound if I wanted to)

Sooo, I will be creating an Excel spreadsheet with budget and actuals per month and year. This is also anal, but I won't be worrying about balancing accounts at month end.

Sorry, I can't comment on regular Quicken or Money since I've never had the pleasure of using the software.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:34 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
I have Quicken Deluxe 2004 sitting on the shelf here, unloaded and never used.* With ER starting this Friday, June 30, I was thinking I now will have time to use it.* Is this 2004 version OK to get started with or should I go pop for the latest version and have it from the get-go?
Yep, try it and see how you like it before you waste money on more Intuit software.

I believe the installation program will still attempt to download the half-dozen bug fixes from Intuit. You'll want to do that before you start entering your data.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:17 PM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

I've been using Quicken with some success. I'm still just using it to track expenses and investments, but I think there's a lot more potential for it once I tap into it...