Unemployed... enjoying it too much

This reminds me of one of DW's aunts who applied for an office/secretary job after being out of the workforce for 30 years.

Interviewer: "What have you been doing for the last 30 years?"

Aunt: "Well, I raised ten kids."

Interviewer: "When can you start?"

Heh! That is too funny. For my part, I sometimes equate my experience as a manager/supervisor of adult employees, with my experience at being a parent (actually, in my case, a step-parent) of teenagers. The angst, the attitude, the clothing malfunctions....:LOL::nonono:

Anyway, sorry if I ruffled anyone's feathers by using the word "mindless." It was not as well-chosen as I like to think my words usually are and I can see that it could be insulting. Certainly one has to be very mindful of children. On the other hand - one can tend a home without having children. Gia, however, does not want to depend on a spouse so that wouldn't work.

I was laid off last month. I need someone to motivate me. I do not have to worry about money for at least a year.
Knowing for sure that I did not have enough money to last me until I croak and seeing my funds dwindle would be motivation enough for me to find a job. Any job would do. While employed, I could still look around for something better....
Anyway, sorry if I ruffled anyone's feathers by using the word "mindless." .
Didn't bother me at all. As a matter of fact, I've felt "mindless" since I've retired. Just unicorns and butterflies floating around....:flowers:

Knowing for sure that I did not have enough money to last me until I croak and seeing my funds dwindle would be motivation enough for me to find a job. Any job would do. While employed, I could still look around for something better....
Same here. I don't know how much motivation anyone will find from a group of people who are united by a common theme of wanting to get out of w*rk (or at least become FI) as soon as possible.

Having said that, one thing that motivates me more than wanting to retire early is making sure we always a large cushion to keep putting food on the table and a roof over our heads. If I were spending down my assets in unemployment and I wasn't FI yet, I'd be worrying my butt off.

Amethyst, I think doing what your mom did is probably too much work for the OP and it would be for longer than her ideal 3-month gig :)

Amethyst, I think doing what your mom did is probably too much work for the OP and it would be for longer than her ideal 3-month gig :)

Not really. I work hard every day. I don't know many women my age who can do a single push-up on their toes. These types of things take hard work, just not the type anyone will pay me to do. I have been exercising consistently for years. However, mainstream jobs do not hold my interest. My decision not to have children has a whole lot more to do with the state of the world than the work involved and if I were to meet someone truly miraculous I might be willing to adopt

However, mainstream jobs do not hold my interest.

Soooooo......... When you get hungry, go get an out-of-the-mainstream job. Another poster on this board, "thefed," is a creative entrepreneur. Search a few of his threads and you'll quickly see that earning your keep does not have to involve conforming to work standards you don't wish to conform to. You can do it your way........ and that's up to you!

I took 1.5 years off when laid off from LU in 2001/02. I did get the Caddy of lay off packages, the Trade Adjustment Act benefits. Still, NH unemployment was something like $236 a week. I did get some training (more MS classes) too. I'd like to do it again sometime!

Not really. I work hard every day. I don't know many women my age who can do a single push-up on their toes. These types of things take hard work, just not the type anyone will pay me to do. I have been exercising consistently for years. However, mainstream jobs do not hold my interest. My decision not to have children has a whole lot more to do with the state of the world than the work involved and if I were to meet someone truly miraculous I might be willing to adopt

I didn't realize doing pushups was in the housekeeper job description (and most of the women your age--late 20s?--that I know also do their pushups from their toes even though their jobs don't require it).

Maybe you could become a personal trainer if you enjoy working out? That sounds like a good fit. Any healthclubs in your area that you could talk to about it?

I didn't realize doing pushups was in the housekeeper job description (and most of the women your age--late 20s?--that I know also do their pushups from their toes even though their jobs don't require it).

Maybe you could become a personal trainer if you enjoy working out? That sounds like a good fit. Any healthclubs in your area that you could talk to about it?

I never said doing pushups was in the housekeeper job description. I do housekeeping everyday for myself. I do a lot of other work every day that has nothing to do with a job. That was my point. I don't personally know a single woman who works out on a regular basis or who can do a push-up properly on her toes so I guess we travel in very different circles.

Back
Top Bottom