Join Early Retirement Today

US Bank gaffe causes 15 min personal panic
Old 07-13-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Send a message via AIM to tpcooper Send a message via Yahoo to tpcooper
US Bank gaffe causes 15 min personal panic

I come home from work Friday and have a notice from the post office that delivery of a certified letter was attempted, and I can either as for them to redeliver or I can go by the post office. I hate certified mail because I am never home during delivery times and of course I can't get to the post office near my home during my lunch break from work - too far. Luckily it was Friday, so I was able to go by yesterday.

I pick it up and am even more pissed because it is one of those perforated, tear off the edges envelopes, how important could this be, right?

The letter reads:

July 03, 2008

Dear Mortgagor:

This letter will serve as notice on your breach of your Mortgage encumbering the above referenced loan number.

You are in breach of the mortgage for your failure to pay the monthly installments due thereunder. In order to cure this breach of the mortgage, you must send certified funds in the amount of xxxx.xx for payments and $.00 for late charges, plus any additional payments that may come due within thirty (30) days from the date of this letter. If you fail to bring this account current, the full balance of the loan will be accelerated.

You are hereby notified that we will be making periodic inspections of the property in accordance with the Mortgage or Deed of Trust to protect our investment. Foreclosure and public sale of the property in accordance with the applicable State Laws will follow if this account is not current within (30) days. You have the right to reinstate the mortgage after acceleration pursuant to the terms of the Mortgage and you have the right to assert in any foreclosure action the non-existence of a default and any other defense you may have to acceleration and foreclosure.

Unless you notify this office within thirty (30) days after receiving this notice that you dispute the validity of this debt or any portion thereof, this office will assume this debt is valid. We urge you to protect your investment by promptly bringing your account to a current status. Please govern yourselves accordingly.

Sincerely,
Susan Beets
Manager
Collection Department
800-820-0024

So after fuming for a few minutes knowing I had been paying, I decide to cancel my plans for the day and head home to start digging up my evidence. After a few more minutes I decide to call the phone number even though it is Saturday.

The message is:

If you are calling in reference to a certified letter that you have received dated July 3 demanding the full amount due, please be advised that letter was sent in error. We apologize for this error and our office is preparing written apologies.

It also goes onto say my credit score has not been effected by the error. Then it invites me to leave a message to be returned. The system then says the voice mail box is full.

Apparently a lot of people got these letters, and might not be as good humored as I am.
tpcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What a nightmare!!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Care to tell us who the bozo lender is? I would not want my kids or friends going to them!
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie View Post
Care to tell us who the bozo lender is? I would not want my kids or friends going to them!
Well, the title says US Bank... so I'm guessing it was them.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #5

Or call the 1-800 number in the OP - Sure they will be happy to own up. BTW ask for Susan.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:00 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

Yeah, the loan was originally SunTrust but as I understand it was sold to and is now serviced by US Bank.

Yeah, I thought about editing out the name and number like I edited out the mortgage amount, but figured I wasn't doing anyone any harm on posting a form letter like that...I'm sure the automated phone system makes it very difficult to actually reach Susan. :-)
Old 07-13-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think it is a good idea to publicly trash corporate screw ups like this.

Susan appeared to be formerly the owner of a mortgage company. If enough people on enough forums post similarly form letters first her name will associated with this on google searches. Then if there are lots of screw ups then googling "US Bank mortgages" will eventually work its way up the search results. I am sure even old line banks have somebody watching their google results.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:13 AM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

9,000 Mistakenly Warned Of Mortgage Default - Money News Story - WSMV Nashville

I agree with the one guy though, I hope they will accept my written apology if I do ever miss a payment because of a computer glitch...
Old 07-15-2008, 07:37 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpcooper View Post
9,000 Mistakenly Warned Of Mortgage Default - Money News Story - WSMV Nashville

I agree with the one guy though, I hope they will accept my written apology if I do ever miss a payment because of a computer glitch...
Works one way, doesn't work the other way. By the way, was it Susan's fault or the bank's fault? By the looks of it, isn't Susan just part of a third-party collection agency? It could be that the bank, incorrectly, alerted the collection agency of thousands of false defaultees but it may not be her company's fault. Not rushing to their defense, but not sure which side is to blame here
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote