Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Wage slaves, how much paid time off do you recieve a year (including sick)?
1-2 weeks (ugh!) 2 2.63%
3 weeks 12 15.79%
4 weeks 22 28.95%
5 weeks 15 19.74%
6 weeks 25 32.89%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Vacation Time
Old 10-06-2005, 06:46 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Vacation Time

So right now I get three weeks floating PTO, and 6 days off at Christmas (company closes down) for ~4 weeks total. Soon I'll hit 5 years and I'll go to 5 weeks. The minus is there is no sick time, it's all one lump, but since I've been pretty healthy, this has really been great for sanity. I'll be taking a week off in front of the Christmas break, what a nice way to end the year!

I hear employees are doing more and more to compensate people with time, not just with money, and I thought I'd poll the young dreamers/wannabe's to form our own unscientific study. In addition my new department has gone to a choice of 9/80 or 4/10. Long days can get old, but the regular weekdays off just sound magical to me.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Vacation Time
Old 10-06-2005, 07:00 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Laurence,

I'm essentially an entry level engineer at a consulting firm. Same basic setup as you. 15 days PTO (which includes sick leave), 7 Holidays that we can take whenever (the company recommends days, but you have your choice). After 5 years, we get an extra 2 days of PTO each year, and that amount increases with added longevity.

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:18 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

225.6 hours of "timebank" + the usual holidays

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
15 days PTO (which includes sick leave)
OK, as a military acronym geek I have to ask-- what the heck does PTO stand for?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:49 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Paid Time Off...

Were you expecting "Psychotic Training Officer"?

Old 10-06-2005, 07:54 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Paid Time Off...
Ah, thank you. That makes a lot more sense than Personal Time Out, unless of course you have young kids...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:59 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Warning from an old shrew... use or risk loss. Policies change, companies are sold or fail. Consider it a loan with no collateral.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:21 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Kinda hard to answer when counting sick days and holidays. Many firms have an unlimited sick day policy and most people do not abuse it. Most of us get the same paid holidays.

Assuming 6 sick days a year are used plus holidays and paid vacation it easily exceeds the 6 week max choice.
GTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:41 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Hmm, o.k., I figured I wouldn't capture the terrian exactly with my poll. I get seven holidays (4th of July, two days for thanksgiving, memorial, labor, christmas day, new year's day) plus the days in between those last two (depending on how the calendar falls, that can mean up to 8 days off at the end of the year, or as little as six). So I guess right now I get 5 weeks off, and will go to six in 2.5 years. It seems like a lot, but it sounds like it's the norm. They work the engineers so much at my work, that many people don't get to use it. One time a project finally wound down, and a lady I knew took 2 months off and still had 100 hours on the books when she got back!

My first "real" job was one week vacation and three sick days. I got out quick.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:49 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Laurence, mine was a warning to not extend your PTO out too far. You will work long and hard when on duty, plan to take time for yourself and your family.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:51 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Definitely, I don't want to be that lady! One guy is just nuts, he gets forced to take days off periodically because he hits the max accrual. He then vpn's in from home. :P
Old 10-07-2005, 01:25 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Answered 3 weeks but with a small startup it works much differently. Much less structured hours and more a matter of just setting your own hours to get work done. Always extra comp time for people who have to travel a lot. Other perk examples: I have one guy from Warsaw who gets a mostly free trip home every time he makes a sales call to Dresden. We do have our crunch times though.
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 01:35 AM   #13

I've been at my agency for almost 3 years. I receive 2 wks vacation, 12 days sick, and 11 holidays.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:19 AM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

5 weeks paid vacation, 11 paid holidays, 5 sick days but usually take 7-10 and a coupla AWP's. Been with the company 33 years. Total = ~46 days a year.

Still not enough.* ** *Almost time to call it quits.
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 06:07 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I am in a funny situation. There is no set policy. If you need/want time off, you take it. Personally, I 'd be a lot happier with a set policy, but I guess it is like it or lump it. I've been here 6 mnths so far and I have taken 1 week off and a separate day off. Gotta up that time off quotient. I'll take some time around the holidays and for a winter escape to visit the sun.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 06:47 AM   #16

6+ weeks would be my vote.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:07 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Our staff starts with 15 days of PTO and goes up to a max of 26. We have a number of staff with 26 days of PTO a year and frankly it is hard to manage coverage when they have so much time off. Once when work was especially busy and some senior staff were risking loss of PTO if they didn't use it, we "bought" PTO days from them.

No paid vacation or sick days for me. No work. No revenue.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 07:16 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

4 weeks vacation, 18 days of paid sick leave. I rarely ever take a sick day.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:31 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

10 days PTO.
8 Holidays.
5 days sick.
2 floating holidays.
PTO is earned a few hours each month and has a limit each year....take it or stop earning it. Sucks at the first of the year because there are no holidays from New Years until Memorial day. So if you want off you have to wait until you earn enough hours or hold over some hours from the previous year.

My previous company had 2 weeks vacation 10 holiday and unlimited sick of exempts (0-5 years)

The current company even made me take PTO for my move here to work.
No that is cheap!

When I left my previous company, I had 24 years which gave me 4 weeks of vaction plus two floating holidays. DW had 34 years with the company and 7 weeks of vacation.

Old 10-07-2005, 09:21 AM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

I've worked as a university administrator for almost 13 years.* The pay stinks but the bennies are not bad.* I get 21 days of personal leave, 21 days of sick leave, and 11 holidays (of which I have to work about half and the days become "floating holidays").* Even so, it never seems like enough time to hike and write...sigh.* So I would be "6 weeks +" on this poll.

DH is self-employed, so he's got zippo for days off.* But sometimes his "boss" lets him out...*
bamboogrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote