Join Early Retirement Today

WaMu CD rate @ 5%
Old 09-26-2008, 06:20 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

WaMu CD rate @ 5%

So I go and check out www.wamu.com and notice that they have a 5% CD rate for 12 and 13 month terms. I'm tempted to sign up for it, but is this the right time since JP Morgan Chase just bought them out?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2008, 06:25 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Makes sense to me to do it. I would be interested to know if you can get it today! Maybe you or someone else will try and let us know. I would but I'm broke.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It still shows 12 and 13 month CDs with an APR of 5%. The website already says Welcome to JPMorgan Chase.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:14 PM   #4

Wamu has had that offer going for a few weeks and signed up awhile back....My guess is that it will be gone soon with Chase in.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:45 PM   #5

Maybe not. WAMU lost $16M in deposits over the last few weeks, which caused the FDIC to seize the bank. I imagine Chase would like some of those deposits back, and their CD rates are about half what WAMU is offering for 12 months.

-- Rita
Old 09-26-2008, 11:08 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
Wamu has had that offer going for a few weeks and signed up awhile back....My guess is that it will be gone soon with Chase in.
Actually they had this offer a couple of weeks ago and closed it on Sep 12th. Now they've brought it back after the JPM takeover. So I'd assume that it won't necessarily go away soon. They don't have a close out date for it. Time will tell!
Gardnr is offline   Reply With Quote