Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-16-2008, 10:37 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

He's a jerk. Being a jerk, maybe he wasn't totally honest about the condition of the car, too. Maybe he wanted to dump the car fast on the first buyer who didn't spot the glaring deficiency in the car! Jerks will do that. Probably had Crisco in oilpan so she wouldn't smoke. Heck, maybe he's just a sociopath--I'll bet he was dumping carborundum in the crankcase just to make it tough for the guy who bought that darn lemon!

You got out of this deal just in time!
It's a big sea, you'll find another fun car. Maybe a Miata.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2008, 08:43 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Eh. I admit it is a big shame for Bimmer. I can understand the seller's point, though. First one in with cash in hand is better than the expectation via email that someone will buy. Now, if there was a deposit to hold the vehicle until everything was squared away (carfax, mechanic, final test drive), then that in my mind would prevent negotiating with another party. Without that, though, there are enough cases in the world where a potential buyer got cold feet at the last minute that I might well take the first offer myself. I am not sure the guy really was a jerk.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:40 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
What the! The guy sold it tonight. I had an appointment tomorrow morning to give it a final look over and had indicated I'd buy the car in email. Geez, you would think the guy would at least give me a call first.

I already ran a CARFAX, took the day off from work, set up the bank check, set up insurance, etc.
That's why you have to move FAST on private part deals, there is no "loyalty" on them............in most cases the first guy with cash wins.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:41 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
But Wyoming was gritting their teeth last month over us not buying American, so I assume they misspoke here and/or misremembered the car.
He only gets mad if you buy NEW BMWs, to him, a use one means the money stays in the good ole USA.............

Old 07-17-2008, 09:43 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I don't know why, but I'm really !
Why? I don't think the seller is a jerk, private party transactions don't have the "rules" dealers have to follow...........

Old 07-17-2008, 09:47 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Why? I don't think the seller is a jerk, private party transactions don't have the "rules" dealers have to follow...........
Dealers have "rules"? Tell me more FDude.....
Old 07-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was mainly selling small ticket items on craigslist so if the first person said they would show up at a certain time with the money then I'd give them first dibs and tell everyone else that called that I would let them know if was still available after that time (and the times were all either that day or the next morning). If someone wanted to show up to look at it, I told them that was fine but I was selling it to the first person that wanted it and had cash.

In a situation like this, I think Kronk has the right idea. If you've given some promise to pay pending a reasonable check-over, then you get the car. Otherwise, first one there with the pile o' bills wins. Unless he verbally gave some sort of promise that the car was yours, then he's a jerk... but still, what did you expect, he owns a BMW ;-)
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:56 AM   #28

Oh, I can certainly see his point of view. He sent me an email saying he had to honor the owners instructions of selling to the first person who showed up with cash. Still, I guess I expected him to give me a call and say someone else was interested and ask if I wanted to give him a deposit. That's what I would have done, but different strokes for different folks.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh, I can certainly see his point of view. He sent me an email saying he had to honor the owners instructions of selling to the first person who showed up with cash. Still, I guess I expected him to give me a call and say someone else was interested and ask if I wanted to give him a deposit. That's what I would have done, but different strokes for different folks.
So, he was selling it for someone else? That explains a lot............

Old 07-17-2008, 11:11 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Dealers have "rules"? Tell me more FDude.....
I was being facetious. In private party transactions, there are no protocols to follow. If you went to a large dealership, and this happened, folks would take shear delight in telling EVERYONE they KNOW the dealership is bad, etc,...........it becomes a local PR disaster for the dealer.

Private party? No recourse, no PR disaster, etc...........

Not to nitpick, but Bimmer Bill did have a contingency on his sale ("if" the car checked out when I drove it one last time". The seller saw that as a way for Bimmer Bill to back out at the last minute. Adding the "which of course I beleive it will" is not an offer for sale............

Old 07-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Does this mean that Bill needs to change his login name?
BimmerlessBill?
BigBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #32

I've been bimmerless since 2001 or so... sniff.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:04 PM   #33

Quote:
I've been bimmerless since 2001 or so... sniff.
I just don't know about buying an older Bimmer. I drive one now, and I love it. That being said, I wouldn't buy one out of warranty. Even though I can work on it myself the parts are just so expensive.

If I was going to take $5K and buy something fun on 4 wheels I would buy a Miata.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I'd get a funky fun car that nobody thinks about and is just cool. A Triumph Spitfire, an Opel GT, one of those little VW wagons.

Then, I'd get a really good set of jackstands and a comfortable creeper . . .

samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:53 PM   #35

Well, I'm 6'6" so most small, fun cars are out of the question. I just can't fit in them!
Old 07-18-2008, 07:52 AM   #36

Quote:
Well, I'm 6'6" so most small, fun cars are out of the question. I just can't fit in them!
I'm half an inch shorter than you and I drive a Honda S2000 for fun, you just have to get creative with your ingress and egress.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Looking for a fun car? Toyota MR2 Spyder owners refer to the driving experience as 'Permagrin'. Most owners, myself included, took one for a test drive and within a minute or two realized that they just have got to get one of these. The combination of mid-engine, light weight, quick steering and a responsive engine is unbeatable. The convertable top just adds to the grins per mile. Check out Spyderchat.com for the best online info, and don't even think about buying a 2000 or 2001 without checking the precats.
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:59 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
Looking for a fun car? Toyota MR2 Spyder owners refer to the driving experience as 'Permagrin'. Most owners, myself included, took one for a test drive and within a minute or two realized that they just have got to get one of these. The combination of mid-engine, light weight, quick steering and a responsive engine is unbeatable. The convertable top just adds to the grins per mile. Check out Spyderchat.com for the best online info, and don't even think about buying a 2000 or 2001 without checking the precats.
Had a 1986 MR2 back in college. Was the most fun car I ever drove.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

An older model A-6 or A-8 is a gas to drive.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:08 PM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
I'm half an inch shorter than you and I drive a Honda S2000 for fun, you just have to get creative with your ingress and egress.
I'm 6-2 and bought a pair of aftermarket seats and gained about 2" of headroom =)

Still a $%#% to get in/out of but awesome 'airy' feeling above my head!