Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Want Vs. Worry
Old 08-16-2005, 02:42 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny
Yes. Some of the simple living ideas can go over the line, my point is it is all about choice.* (those people living in the run down houses mentioned earlier may not actually be making the choice)

Maybe its easier for me because I'm a vegetarian who enjoys all kinds of things from rice and beans (why are they getting such a bad rap?) to gourmet cuisine.

I'm sure people in my family do think I'm strange.* Well, I'll just be that eccentric old aunt who takes her dogs everywhere, travels the globe, recycles dryer sheets, lives in a tiny apt so she can walk on all her errands and not have yardwork (plus have a GREAT view of the water and the Seattle skyline).

I think I have what I want and I think you guys do too, aren't we lucky?
Damn straight!
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2005, 07:20 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny
I do not wish to live in poverty, I agree that after spending so much time in school (law school for me) and working that to have to line up for free cheese would be sad (although I would line up for free ice cream at Starbucks, right MJ? )
I recall getting several of those 5lb blocks of yellow cheese about 35 years ago when I was living kinda free and easy sans a career. It tasted way too salty so if the salt content dropped which I doubt (makes a good preservative), I wouldn't mind getting one of them again.
I didn't have to stand on line for that free ice cream since I came early just after my daily 25 mile fast bike ride.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:43 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I picked up some of that cheese last week - for a lady/neighbor who lives on 600/mo SS plus Medicare. Friend of ours for 30 yrs. So we get to sample her cooking from time to time - near as I can tell in sauces or mac and cheese - it tastes the same. In box - it looks like generic Velveeta.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 06:09 AM   #24

Since we're on the cheese now, the only time i tasted it, i think i was about 12 years old at the time (21 years ago). My friend had gotten the cheese from a poor aunt (apparently, she just didnt like cheese so they took it from her). I just remember eating so much of it, i got sick. I was jealous that the cheese we had at our house (probably kraft mild cheddar) didnt taste near as good as this welfare stuff. I'm not sure if its still as good tasting as it was then.

Azanon
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 07:16 AM   #25

I don't ever remember any cheese, but somehow when I was a kid, we got ahold of some government honey!
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 10:45 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
...we got ahold of some government honey!
Just so you know, SG, I'm not touching this line either!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote