Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Watch This Space - Get Out There
Old 03-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Watch This Space - Get Out There

It is cold outside the the Casita today - stay in bed.where it is warm
It is a long hike and I need to get into shape - stay in bed, there is always tomorrow
It is dangerous and you are hiking alone, you could get hurt - stay in bed where it is safe

I throw on the backpack and head down the side of the escarpment 1300 vertical feet to the desert floor. I get moving and hit my stride, remembering to keep my head up and look around at the amazing features of the landscape, and the uniqueness or this place and time. I'm feeling great as I hike through the wash - mind and body in their element, sun and motion taking care of the chill in the air.

I stop for lunch and photographs - only one and then the camera breaks. No photographs have ever captured these experiences anyway. I'm here, it is quiet, no one around, it is beautiful, it is timeless but all of this was shaped over time. Time ...

The return trip seems longer - isn't that always the way? Now the challenge of the escarpment - why do I like mountains, the switchbacks, narrow trails and steep fall offs, stressful breathing.

ER is like that decision to get out of the warmth and safety of the Casita (work) or going on a hike (life).
I'm glad I ERd early enough to enjoy what I'm doing.

More photo to follow after the camera gets repaired.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1772.jpg (615.7 KB, 36 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Hey Dex! So glad to see you are alive and well!....
Old 03-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
Administrator

Hi Dex! Nice picture.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi Dex,
Neat Camper. I had to look it up to find out what a casita was.
I'm going to ask the company for info on their campers. I have a large 5th wheel but this day and time in my life something small and easy to handle would be nice.

Nice photo too.
Where are you?
Looks like a great time and place to be.
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Hey Dex, long time no post!

You been living in the Casita since the last post? I do not remember reading anything about you going full-timing.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:52 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Ditto that.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Hi Dex,
Neat Camper. I had to look it up to find out what a casita was.
I'm going to ask the company for info on their campers. I have a large 5th wheel but this day and time in my life something small and easy to handle would be nice.

Nice photo too.
Where are you?
Looks like a great time and place to be.
Steve
The Casita is a good size for one person. I never RVd before and though I would only do it for 2 years or so. Now I'm doing it more and more. If I were doing it again I think I would look at something a bit larger for the storage and a feeling of roominess - definitely if I was traveling with someone.

Right now I'm in Moab and debating to move onto Dinosaur National Monument or Colorado.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Hey Dex, long time no post!

You been living in the Casita since the last post? I do not remember reading anything about you going full-timing.
When I saw FinanceDude signing off after 10K posts I decided to take a little break.

I'm not full-timing but I think I'll be traveling for 6 or 7 months this year. I don't think I will ever full time but, I'm rethinking where I'm living now. Maybe in the future I'll move to the West somewhere.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:31 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Thanks - life is good.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Right now I'm in Moab...
Ah, my favorite -- Arches, Canyonlands, and Dead Horse. The views are spectacular at sunrise and sunset. I have never hiked it but I can imagine how wonderful that must be.

Right now I am in Owensboro Kentucky waiting for the International Blue Grass Music Museum to open. It is cold (44°) and a really nasty wind. My mind is on the Four Corners region.

Capital Reef is also worth a look, BTW.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

What a great description of the joys of hiking and climbing. Reminds me of why I yearn to move back west. Dinosaur is a neat place. Very remote. There's a red rock canyon just west of it (Flaming Gorge??) That's well worth exploring. The Uinitas are worth exploring too.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Welcome back Dex ! It sounds like you are enjoying retirement ! We've missed you !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:56 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Dex, it was a series of your posts awhile back leading up to your ER decision that made me realize this is the path I NEED to take as well. Thanks from the south coast of B.C....
Sea Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #14
gone traveling

Dex,
Head south if you are looking for more desert photo opportunities...
WS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1772.jpg (559.0 KB, 10 views)
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

On our way back into Colorado today, we stopped at the Colorado Welcome Center/Rest Area on the Kansas border. I had a long (20 minute?) conversation with the two people at the desk -- I believe they were married and seemed to be retired volunteers. He asked me if I had ever visited any of the Colorado State Parks. I had to admit that I had not spent much time in our home state. I did, however, mention that I was completely surprised, several months ago, at Colorado National Monument Park. I was not at all prepared for the beauty of the scenery in this relatively unknown park -- see some photos here.

The lady behind the counter, BTW, agreed that Mesa Verdé was at the top of the attractions in that part of the world.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:08 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
Dex, it was a series of your posts awhile back leading up to your ER decision that made me realize this is the path I NEED to take as well. Thanks from the south coast of B.C....
It scares me sometimes when someone says I influenced them - I can be weird sometimes.

Was it theses posts?
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ish-22190.html
Old 03-29-2010, 07:09 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Dex,
Head south if you are looking for more desert photo opportunities...
WS
Beautiful picture.
I don't do many overnights in the outdoors - I like my comforts
Old 03-29-2010, 07:13 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
The lady behind the counter, BTW, agreed that Mesa Verdé was at the top of the attractions in that part of the world.
When I get my camera repaired I'll post some more pictures and make up a few stories to go with them.

I think this board needs some inspirational posts about the joys of ER.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:23 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
It scares me sometimes when someone says I influenced them - I can be weird sometimes.

Was it theses posts?
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ish-22190.html
Yep, those would be the posts that would light the spark in my brain that yes, I don't have to work until my 60's... or 50's for that matter.
Sea Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:15 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Great post Dex. It puts life/work in perspective. I also enjoy the solitude of hiking the great southwest - although this pic is only a few miles outside Phoenix, The wet winter has really greened up the desert.

Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote