Join Early Retirement Today

We did it...No, not FIRE, a Log Cabin!
Old 06-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

We did it...No, not FIRE, a Log Cabin!

If you read the "second" home thread that was around a little while ago, you may have seen that we were looking at log cabins in WV (we live in DC).

A little background...I have recently come to the conclusion that, although I had wanted to FIRE at 52, it would be stupid to FIRE before I am eligible for my FEHB benefits (fed health bennies). That won't be until I am 56 years, 10 months (I am 41 now).

The numbers looked OK at 52, but having to pay for 13 years of health benefits myself would be such a HUGE unknown at this point, that I am not comfortable with it.

So, the next realization was that if I w*rk that extra 5 years or so, my portfolio is projected to be a lot bigger (obviously), my health care expenses will be much lower, and I will likely have more money than I can imagine needing, realistically.

So, my secondary dream of owning a place in the mountains became a possibility now instead of a much more distant retirement dream (as I am not feeling the need to save 35% of my income as I have been for the past 5 or so years). I will still max out my 401K and save some additional money, but I feel freer to chase this dream.

We close at the end of the month. I am very excited! Here is a pic:

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's beautiful! I live in the DC area too and understand the attraction. Enjoy

Old 06-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations! It looks beautiful. And hopefully getting away to "the cabin" will reduce your stress so much that w*rk will be more bearable.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations ! It looks like a great place !
Old 06-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What a beautiful home in a beautiful spot. I can visualize a couple of those rockers on the front porch. You know, those from the Cracker Barrel.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Nice place. We live in DC and bought a weekend place in the Northern Neck 18 years ago. It was nice having a getaway on the water. 56 is still a pretty early retirement by my lights - that is when I pulled the plug.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm looking to build a cabin on 5 acres of property here on the B.C. coast... if it looked anywhere as nice as yours I would be very happy. Our favorite building site also has a sloping aspect to it, perfect for a walkout basement, like the one in your photo. Absolutely beautiful place, congrats.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Party on the patio!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:02 PM   #9
gone traveling

Congratulations! It look great; can't wait to see more pictures after you take possession.

Good thing you disregarded a lot of the naysayers on this thread:

A Second Vacation Home a Good Thing?

Old 06-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #10

Thanks everyone. For those who know the area a bit, the cabin is in Berkeley Springs, WV, (northeast, near the point where it borders MD and VA) a cute town with some nice restaurants and Cacapon State Park nearby for hiking, swimming, and a Robert Trent Jones 18-hole golf course. We really like the area.

The "cabin" is bigger than we were originally looking, but the price was right. Now we just have to get some furniture! Yep - rockers for the deck are a must! And, of course, a hot tub.

Sea kayaker - sounds great! The walkout basement is unfinished right now. We want to turn part of it into another bedroom (it has the plumbing to put in a bathroom), and then the rest into a play room (small bar, pool table). Luckily, my guy is handy, and we plan to do most of the work ourselves.

We go away a lot on weekends now - hiking/camping etc...so now we'll just have a permanent base to do our outdoor activities.

Meadbh - thanks. I am one of those people who actually likes her j*b! But, I like getting away on a regular basis as well.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes! Here's a picture of the inside from the stairs (furniture is the current owners', of course). You can see the living area, part of the kitchen, and the bottom of the loft:

Old 06-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #11

Very nice! You're gonna love WV, and not having to plan your life around traffic.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Berkeley Springs is a lovely area. I've been there many times. You're right about the town - nice restaurants and shops. Plus it's not too bad of a drive from where you are in Alexandria.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #13

Thanks. Purron, one of our criteria was to be 2 hours or less from home. It's about 1 hour 45 minutes. And I love that the "getaway" does not entail fighting Bay Bridge traffic all summer.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #14

Looks great - congratulations!
Old 06-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #15
Dryer sheet wannabe

It truly looks like a dream come true! Congrats and enjoy.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations on your new cabin!

I haven't read the other thread, but suspect that many people indicate that a second home makes little or no economic sense. I share that view. However, there is more to life than money, and you don't want to be the richest person in the graveyard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaudrey View Post
I had wanted to FIRE at 52, it would be stupid to FIRE before I am eligible for my FEHB benefits (fed health bennies). That won't be until I am 56 years, 10 months (I am 41 now).

The numbers looked OK at 52, but having to pay for 13 years of health benefits myself would be such a HUGE unknown at this point, that I am not comfortable with it.
I know that health care has in the past prevented some Americans from taking early retirement; but wouldn't the new legislation significantly alleviate such concerns?
Old 06-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congrats. It's incredible. What a beauty! I equally like the thinking behind going for it too. Well done.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Do-It-Yourself Downsizing: How To Build A Tiny House : NPR

is another recent story on "log" cabins that you might enjoy.