Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
During my divorce my 15-year-old car finally gave it up and I bought a brand-new '85 Chevy 4WD pickup truck, partly because I did need a replacement vehicle, partly because it was a neat toy, and partly just to get something nice for myself without having to consult with anyone else.

One of the guys at work was surprised at my choice of vehicle, asking "You're going to go out on dates in a pickup truck?"

I said "Yeah. And if some girl won't go out with me because I drive a pickup truck that's fine. It'll save us both a whole lot of bother."

DW2B liked the pickup truck. It had air conditioning and her car didn't.
LOL. Reminds me of our story. DH had a red Ford F100 when we met in 1991...he picked me up in it for our first date. It had a big crack going all the way across the windshield. I was a bit taken aback, but he swept me off my feet!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
LOL. Reminds me of our story. DH had a red Ford F100 when we met in 1991...he picked me up in it for our first date. It had a big crack going all the way across the windshield. I was a bit taken aback, but he swept me off my feet!

In 1976 I had my first date with DH and he drove up in a 1972 Vega station wagon that leaked oil so badly, he had to keep a case of oil in the back seat.

Regardless...I still said 'yes' when he asked me to marry him a year later.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:50 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Most people do not have a personal plan for their future. Some have a very basic plan for their future. This seems to not be correlated with education level or even job success.

I had a plan for ER. It was basic but it seems to have worked. Planned ER at 55. LBYM, save diligently, and invest fairly conservatively (to grow assets over time).

As far as career (or work planning), I have made a few mistakes and done some things right. All in all it has turned out fine.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:09 AM   #44
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

In 1976 I had my first date with DH and he drove up in a 1972 Vega station wagon that leaked oil so badly, he had to keep a case of oil in the back seat.

Regardless...I still said 'yes' when he asked me to marry him a year later.
Hey - I owned a (used) '71 Vega (lime green hatchback ). Sure, the block was cracked (replaced under warranty), and it overheated in the summer.

But it was a fun car back in the 70's (and I was already married - no "first impression" to worry about...)
Old 03-07-2010, 08:25 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Heh, I made a dish last night that involves a half cup of capers in the sauce (over chicken). I had not made it in well over a decade. The last time I made it just after DW and were married it was a splurge dish because the capers were really not in the grocery budget.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #46
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
We need a thread where posters have so much money that it doesn't matter that we drive our Lexuses, live in 3000+ sq ft homes, go out to eat many times a week, and work at great jobs that we love with reduced hours and high pay.
I don't believe that any of us who fit that mold would respond, anyway. Those of us who are FI, and have a few "toys" are the same folks that didn't care what our friends/relatives/neighbors did (in a financial sense) along the way.

My DW/me live quite well and spend a lot on "wants" these days, rather than just "needs" during our accumulation years. However, I'm not going to list our "stuff"; that's just bragging - and that's not who we are ...

We're thankful for being "blessed" financially in our life's journey, but we would give it up in an instant if our son was not disabled.

Sometimes, "money & stuff" is not important, compared to some other things in life...
Old 03-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Sometimes, "money & stuff" is not important, compared to some other things in life...
Amen to that.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Me too. My hubby drove an older little blue Chevy Luv truck when we met.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
10% returns? What AA will get you there? And how did it do in 2008-09?
Good point. I should have said that a $3 MM portfolio is capable of earning a quarter of a million a year, not a third of a million. My bad, I was going off my own personal portfolio which includes leveraged employee stock options - when my company stock goes up 1% my options In-the-money-value goes up by 3.4%.

And I did quite well in 2008-2009, thank you. Had $1MM in cash, put $750K of it to work by November 2008. Had brown underwear in March 09 but looking good now, only 8% below my peak net worth of June 2008. Retiring in August this year so right now figuring out an asset allocation for the long haul - right now 90% in equities and as I mentioned some of that leveraged so am debating just how much I want in fixed income but it will be more than the current 10%.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Yes, when one is not healthy, all the money in the world does not mean much.

It should be obvious but most people, myself included, do not realize that old age and the attending poorer health creeps up on us without us noticing, as early as starting at the age of 40.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Knowing I needed every possible advantage to make some sort of impression on the first date, I convinced a friend to let me borrow his car for the occasion. It was nine years old at the time but was still in good shape:

What I drove on the second date was the real test of where the relationship would go. The only similarity between the two was the brand name*...

*I'm referring to the car, of course.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

This popped up in one of my vocabulary e-mails a few days ago:
Quote:
It is said that for money you can have everything. No, that is not true. You can buy food, but not appetite; medicine, but not health; soft beds, but not sleep; knowledge but not intelligence; glitter, but not comfort; fun, but not pleasure; acquaintances, but not friendship; servants, but not faithfulness; grey hair, but not honor; quiet days, but not peace. The shell of all things you can get for money. But not the kernel. That cannot be had for money.
(Translated from Norwegian, perhaps by a widow related to UncleMick...)

-Arne Garborg, writer (1851-1924)

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I will never have the luxury of getting bored sitting on $50M
Who needs $50m? I could cheerfully get bored on 10% of that!
Old 03-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Most people do not have a personal plan for their future. Some have a very basic plan for their future. This seems to not be correlated with education level or even job success.

I had a plan for ER. It was basic but it seems to have worked. Planned ER at 55. LBYM, save diligently, and invest fairly conservatively (to grow assets over time).

As far as career (or work planning), I have made a few mistakes and done some things right. All in all it has turned out fine.
But did you have fun and enjoy yourself along the way? That would be the real measure of the success of a plan for spending your life.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
But did you have fun and enjoy yourself along the way? That would be the real measure of the success of a plan for spending your life.
I think those of us who were born in mid-century US or Western Europe are the luckiest common people to have ever lived. Just an average path, avoiding terrible illness, prison, etc. pretty much automatically delivers a happy life.

It may never be this good again. At this point my goal is merely to hang in there, as it is easy to be pleased by our average lives. Whether you are retired or not, well off or not are mostly details. The major theme is that we were born to a great cresting wave. Let's hope the run out is gentle.

Ha
Old 03-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think those of us who were born in mid-century US are the luckiest common people to have ever lived. Just an average path, avoiding terrible illness, prison, etc. pretty much automatically delivers a happy life.

Ha
I agree. Both basic prosperity and standard of living. But when one factors in that the US has pretty good human rights laws... We have to represent the high watermark so far. I would say the same goes for most of Western Europe and Canada.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

You guys had cars when you met your spouses?!
Old 03-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The shell of all things you can get for money. But not the kernel.
I was raised on this Desiderata-type stuff, and I really feel cheated by it. It may have been true in medieval Norway, but US culture has somehow evolved into a place where there simply is no contentment or peace of minid without financial independence. I say this based on my experience and the experience of everyone I know--the looks on their faces on Sunday nights, or after a day of being forced to deal with the petty, hateful people that every workplace seems to have. If your experience is vastly different, I salute you, but I think you are a lucky rarity.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
You guys had cars when you met your spouses?!
I was thinking the same thing

We'd been together 4 years (married 1 year) before we got our first car. DW2B even paid her own bus fare
Old 03-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
I would say the same goes for most of Western Europe and Canada.

Agree. I changed my post to include this. The main thing better about the US is that the early mid-century US birth cohorts missed the danger and devastation of WW2, which were very much part of Europe including England, and Japan.

Australia and New Zealand have been blessed as well.

Ha