Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
You guys had cars when you met your spouses?!
Yep. They wouldn't allow me to keep my horse in the dorm parking lot...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Hey - I owned a (used) '71 Vega (lime green hatchback ). Sure, the block was cracked (replaced under warranty), and it overheated in the summer.

But it was a fun car back in the 70's (and I was already married - no "first impression" to worry about...)
Well I suppose your DW and I have something in common. We looked at the driver and not the wheels.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

And the stick, right?
Old 03-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

....it's all about the shiftin'....
Old 03-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
....it's all about the shiftin'....

Sounds like a good first date.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
It may have been true in medieval Norway, but US culture has somehow evolved into a place where there simply is no contentment or peace of minid without financial independence.
I think he's trying to point out that even financial independence won't buy peace of mind. The 19th-century version of "But... but.. but what will I do all day?"

I forget who said it (Mae West?) but I also like the quote "I've been poor and I've been rich. Rich is better."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
If your experience is vastly different, I salute you, but I think you are a lucky rarity.
I think my experience has been vastly different from about 99.5% of the board, but I've preferred the philosophies of "the harder I work the luckier I get" and "fortune favors the prepared mind"...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I forget who said it...
Surprised me:

I've been rich and I’ve been poor -- and believe me, rich is better.
Sophie Tucker
US (Russian-born) vaudeville singer (1884 - 1966)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #68
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
You guys had cars when you met your spouses?!
I didn't. Bought my first car two weeks before I married my first wife, over 40 years ago.

Don't have the car; still have the wife ...
Old 03-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
These folks exist. At one point I worked for an extremely bright guy who had a net worth in the $50MM range. Personally, I would have hung up my spurs and lived a full life at well short of that figure. Instead, he was quite happy working 12+ hour days and trying to grow his business and his net worth. It takes all kinds, I guess.

As for me, I realized tonight that all of the regrets I have in life are directly related to my career. What more incentive does one need to try hard to get to FIRE?
Some just aim higher - Sir Richard Branson seems to balance his time pretty well. Making bunches of money doesn't necessarily mean your life sucks.

Egotastic! - Denni Parkinson: Nude Model Girlfriend of Sir Richard Branson
Old 03-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Poor = happy is a meme spread by those with money.

I have enough to live on and to give away some; can't imagine I'd be less content with more money.

My EX used to get upset because I wouldn't spend money.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go View Post
Sounds like a good first date.
Yes..it was. It's lasted over 33 years.

However instead of shifting gears, we're more into cruise control now. I suppose that's ok 'cause after that many years, we've found we're built for comfort and not for speed...

...well every once in a while I rev up my engine....
Old 03-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #72
Dryer sheet wannabe

Better read the fine print (not that it changes your point):

Correction Update: Oops! Denni Parkinson is actually the photographer's girlfriend, not Branson's, who is in fact married. Still, it doesn't suck to be a Billionaire (or a photographer, I guess).
Old 03-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinot View Post
Better read the fine print (not that it changes your point):

Correction Update: Oops! Denni Parkinson is actually the photographer's girlfriend, not Branson's, who is in fact married. Still, it doesn't suck to be a Billionaire (or a photographer, I guess).
Evidently, Branson's wife and kids were watching the photo shoot from the shore, a very lucky man indeed.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the poor = happy meme also comes from people who are poor, resentful, passive-agressive and won't *ask* for what they are worth, they just think it should be given to them. That's an annoying thing I find in CorpWorld. People who think they deserve a big raise (and very well might), but won't *do* anything about it, & just bitterly complain when they get the standard crap raise.

When I got the standard crap raise, I complained & my company told me "Sorry, we don't have more money for you. Better luck next year." So I interviewed around, & had another place offer me to do the same job, for 10k. Took that offer back to my company (2 months after I was told there was no money) & told them to match it or I go. Amazingly enough, suddenly, the money was there, and I got a 10K raise.

That whole situation was stressful as all get-out, because I truly didn't want to leave, but I was NOT being paid what I was worth, & I was willing to put up with the extreme mental discomfort to get to a better place.

On the subject of us being different...sigh, yeah. I know a lot of people that I respect & care about & we can have great conversations about a million different superficial things. But when it comes to life paths...I can't even explain mine, because it's 10 turn-offs from what they expect, and they're not willing to mentally go past 2 turn-offs. It's a little sad, & I don't let it stop me from talking about different aspects of what I want (FIRE, slow travel, freeganism/dumpster diving, tiny homes, small business, no kids, no religion). I try to find the ones that they might be most receptive to, and maybe plant some seeds. Because the thing I see is that these lovely people are *so stressed* by the full-time work, buy a big home, trade-up the home, have cars, have cable, constantly be renovating & improving, buy the right clothes, go to the right church, have the kids, get the kids into the right pre-school, school, college, take the right vacations, and on and on and on. Maybe they don't want an out of ALL of them, but I try to suggest that there are things above & beyond that, & they can be *so much* more enriching.

But it only can come out a wee trickle at a time, or they get overwhelmed.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Can you say "rent"? It's a shame 'rent' became a four-letter word in our society. With 750K housing prices and a 250K salary, I would've rented a nice condo minutes from work, and banked/invested every spare dime. (I'm actually doing something similar to that now, although I'm nowhere near 250K).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This is quite common in Westchester, even worse in parts of Conn. With home prices in the “nicer areas” averaging more that 750K and taxes at 2.3%, lots of folks had $5K monthly and thought they were lucky. For a while, at least. Now all they need to do is keep their $250k jobs – for the next 20 years or so...
Old 04-18-2010, 05:19 AM   #76
Dryer sheet aficionado

Definitely noticed this as well. For example, take what active duty members will do with their 80k-90k tax exempt reenlistment bonuses while deployed. Very few seem to talk about saving it, and typically the largest portion (or most of it) will go to a nice new car.

On the other hand, it is not like most of these people are not thinking about retirement. Many plan to do 20+ years active duty, retire with a pension, enter federal service and retire completely with another pension. A military pension, FERS pension, and social security ( I think they would get this too, but I'm not entirely sure how all the red tape works in this situation) at 65 will still leave these people in decent financial shape during retirement absent of any other savings. Of course, if they were to also save in the TSP throughout this long career, they could have a substantial amount of income in retirement.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #77
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I'm glad to be a member of this oddball bunch.
Ditto.

As far as the OP goes...

Financial degrees and certifications don't mean anything other than knowing how to do a particular task. I'm surrounded by great friends who have all of the certifications, BS, MA, MBA, CFA, PhD, CFP, CMA, CMT. None of them seem to have, or put into practice, simple budgeting / home economic skills. They seem to manage the requirements of their high paying jobs just fine, but not the home finances, at least not in an empowering or freeing way.

Interestingly enough, not many of them seem very interested in retirement. They are all fun to spend time with and I can only hope that when they retire the years that they spent working were incredibly fulfilling to them. It would be a shame otherwise. Each of them has the potential to be completely financially free and riding a very impressive residual income gravy train in under 10 years which would have them retired before the age of 45.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAt30 View Post
I'm surrounded by great friends who have all of the certifications, BS, MA, MBA, CFA, PhD, CFP, CMA, CMT.
You forgot BMF! And BFD, too...

It doesn't matter how much one makes, if all (and then some) gets spent...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #79
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just read this thread and am shocked at the price people are, or were, paying for houses. Haven't paid any attention to the housing market for quite a few years. I bought my 1 bedroom 2 bath 1100 sq foot house 14 years ago for $40,000 and thought that was very expensive.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #80
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
You forgot BMF! And BFD, too...
"... OPP, Yeah you know me!"
(sorry, couldn't resist)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I just read this thread and am shocked at the price people are, or were, paying for houses. Haven't paid any attention to the housing market for quite a few years. I bought my 1 bedroom 2 bath 1100 sq foot house 14 years ago for $40,000 and thought that was very expensive.
(sigh) Even if you added a 0 to that price, you wouldn't be able to buy a studio apartment 1/2 that size. Another fine example of why it was the "good old days".