Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #21

At the time I enjoyed my job (computer forensics) and for a long time my attitude at work was "I can't believe they're actually paying me to do this!" But the traffic in the DC area made going anywhere an exercise in frustration, and getting new training/equipment/software in a fast-moving field was a royal pain. I was working on an MS in Information Systems intending to work for one the "beltway bandits" (defense contractors) post-retirement. Then I looked at the numbers and realized that if I retired my take-home pay would actually go up. We had zero debt, DW was stressed out at her job, and a year earlier my mother and her mother had passed six months apart. We thought "why are we doing this? We don't have to". We gave a lot of thought to giving up potential large incomes - DW had already turned down one promotion that would have been even more stressful but we considered the upsides too.

So we pulled the plug and moved to WV. Six months later one of my sisters said "you two look more relaxed than we've seen you in years" so we knew it was the right move to make.

YMMV.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Funny you mention the commuting. We've had 3 people retire in the past year: all of them cited the commute as one of their main reasons for leaving. Vancouver traffic is ridiculous. I live less than 10 miles from work and it takes me over an hour.

Nui

Old 10-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Just the idea that I no longer needed to work, gave me an incredible sense of calm. I would take my time getting to work. When I showed up late, I would comment that I was talking on the hands-free mobile and even stayed in the parking lot to complete the last call.

I was never threatened and I believe it was my most productive time of work.

Of course, now, the thought of actually leaving the house before 10 am gives me fits. Never make appointments before 11. Nor after 3pm. But then Vancouver traffic is pretty silly. In fact, public transit is actually better at rush hour and I always have a good ebook on the go on my smartphone.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Never make appointments before 11. Nor after 3pm. But then Vancouver traffic is pretty silly. In fact, public transit is actually better at rush hour and I always have a good ebook on the go on my smartphone.
Silly? I can think of several descriptive adjectives that would make a sailor blush.

I've always claimed that the person in charge of Vancouver traffic has a) never had a license b) never driven a car and c) is defective in several key brain-function areas related to common sense. For instance, who is the genius that decided to put street names on posts tucked behind trees on the same side of the street as the stop sign? The end result is that you come to a stop several feet past the sign. No wonder people are lost.

My personal favorite though is the absolute refusal to put names on major intersections (Welcome to Vancouver..... guess where you are). Better still, they give the road a name on paper but call it something else (Scott Road instead of 120th).

Don't get me started
Old 10-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
Don't get me started
Oops I think I already did!

DW says that traffic engineers should use unfamiliar tourists to establish signage. The things you rail against are common in every city. In France they have really good signage until they don't. You are in a town and the signage stops so you keep going in feint hope that the lack of signage indicates no change in direction. Wrong again!

We drove from Avignon to Arles. When leaving , we had retrace to get to Nice. Following the signs to Avignon got us going the wrong way on the autoroute. Who knew that it was faster to head away from Avignon to get there on that particular autoroute system. 15 minutes and 6.8 euros in tolls got us turned around. (Our TomTom GPS would not work.)

Not picking on France. I have had the same experience in many cities in Canada/US.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Having investments has definitely cut down on stress. My job income becomes less important every year. It is liberating.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Mule View Post

I'm still interested in my job, and I still (mostly) enjoy it. Once I'm there, I'm engaged and challenged and looking for ways to improve and do better. It's just that when I am away, I don't look forward to returning. Sunday evenings, I'm bummed out that my weekend of practice retirement is over. Mornings, I am reluctant to jump out of bed and face the commute. Even deciding what to wear each day is tedious and leaves me mildly annoyed and looking forward to a time I can wear whatever I want without concerns for "appropriate" and "professional".

I am not just counting the days, I am counting the paychecks. I am paid monthly and I see it as seventy-two more opportunities to save, which makes the end date seem even closer.

I'm wondering if other people experienced this change in attitude, and if it was a long-term shift, or just a passing phase? As it is, I'm smiling a lot more, and with my closest co-worker (who is my age) making occasional comments of "six more years!" I'm trying to rein that in for fear of becoming a tedious bore. If you experienced a similar attitude shift, did it escalate, making work perversely MORE difficult as the end neared? What tactics do you suggest to cope?

--Michelle
_________
2193 days and counting
"change in attitude"
Yes without a doubt esp. when I think of the things we plan to do and the vacations we got planned...

I feel the same way about my job, I like it and it is interesting but I am in
no rush to go back.

As I get closer my attitude has gotten even better. Work is not more difficult
but I just don't care as much. I still work hard etc.

I count the weeks and every Friday my hotmail pops up with that magic number.

That number also equals how many weeks till our cruise that I am taking my my wife, son, his wife and grandchildren on !
Old 11-05-2011, 07:35 AM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

I own a business. We thought we might be able to sell it and retire within months, but the deal is not what we wanted, so we will continue on.

Just this morning, to make ourselves feel better, we talked through our new goal of 7 years. 7 years our two kids will graduate college and our house will be paid off, we'll have saved like crazy and we will try to sell again, but at that point, we could take a lower offer just to get out, but given our past history, each year we are worth more.

Just having a plan makes me feel better. We put things on automatic pilot so there isn't a lot to constantly figure out.

This current deal felt too early to me, I wasn't quite in the emotional place, I felt the kids were too young still with too many expenses ahead of us we hadn't completely taken care of yet - college, private school, mortgage, etc.

7 years seems do-able, we'll still be in early 50's at that point and it's short enough to not feel forever away, but far enough that I feel like we have enough time to adjust as necessary.

I now feel waaaaay better. I can handle this.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:19 AM   #29

Excellent topic. We don't have a specific semi-RE date, but we are fairly close to FI. I would say over the last year that I've caught myself grinning ear-to-ear several times. I just feel so fortunate and humbled to be in this position.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #30

I have a shade over 2 years left to go. I can see the bright light at the end of the pipe as it gets shorter. Things which used to bother me don't bug me as much. I think much of that has to do with being able to vent at the ones that have made life difficult in the past. I don't hold back as much and have become more myself at work. Used to be I did hold back and had to put up more with the difficult arrogant personalities. I think the ones that are in the middle of their careers are enjoying the path the old timers are plowing...and a bit wistful.

It will be good to leave it all behind and get on with life...not having to deal with the corrosive personalities as when working. A life where you are more in control of your total environment. And I just hate wasting time.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

About eight months left assuming I go through with it. I don't see why I wouldn't unless there is some radical change in benefits or the economy. I can't see that happening.

Each month I look at my retirement service credits and see them go up a bit. i am a few months short of what is needed. When they hit the point that I can retire, I think I will do something very radical like only work my official hours that day, no unpaid overtime!!!
Old 11-27-2011, 04:58 PM   #32

About 4 1/2 years to go....(June 2016). Sometimes seems a long way off and other times seems like it is flying by. Sometimes I have the Sunday afternoon angst....sometimes not. However, I am thankful that I'm towards the end of my career - I don't have the tolerance for "crap" that I use to
Old 12-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #33
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog
About 4 1/2 years to go....(June 2016). Sometimes seems a long way off and other times seems like it is flying by. Sometimes I have the Sunday afternoon angst....sometimes not. However, I am thankful that I'm towards the end of my career - I don't have the tolerance for "crap" that I use to
Hi dog, i plan on the same timeframe, are you rebalincing your portfolio to more conservative investments? I am starting
Old 12-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I gave the institute exactly one year from my announcement. They are free to look for my replacement and I can leave anytime. I noticed that all my stress is gone after I announced. I am no longer going to worry about the politics and bureaucracy, and my only focus is doing well in my job. They want me to help to analyze the candidates and even talk with them if they come for interview.
It has been 4 months and still no definite prospect. This is a difficult field.
There are times I feel, I hope they just find one, and at other times, I feel
I have the responsibility to inform the candidates of everything, the good, the bad and ugly.
After I announced, I kept my mouth shut 100%. I only would respond to friendly inquiries, and at that very short nice responses.
I spoke about it in a meeting and after that, nothing.
I'm very careful about not telling all the crap that are going on. and kept
an official statement that I'm retiring because, I can! I am not going to say anything good or bad, as people may think I'm bashing.
The big question is what will happen when we're getting close to 1 year.
Well, it's my ball game! I can ask for extension and there is nothing they can do but give it. If they find one before that time, I have already made up my mind I want to leave anyway.
By keeping a low profile and behaving well, despite the nefarious condition, I'm working the best to end it, and if they can't find the right person yet, I can always extent or even come back for a while as the money is good! I can also leave anytime after a year.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Another reason to retire Ė performance reviews

Well today my boss called, and informed me that he wants to do my final performance appraisal sometime this week, and set my next yearís goals. I told him if heís busy, just Email it to me and Iíll sign it.

Our performance reviews are such jokes, and after 27 years of working for this company, if I donít know what I should be doing by now itís too late.

Happy dance last performance review Ė ever!
Old 12-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwoodt View Post
You must be single...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You must be single...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg If spouses wrote FITREPs.jpg (42.5 KB, 19 views)

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwoodt View Post
Another reason to retire Ė performance reviews

Well today my boss called, and informed me that he wants to do my final performance appraisal sometime this week, and set my next yearís goals. I told him if heís busy, just Email it to me and Iíll sign it.

Our performance reviews are such jokes, and after 27 years of working for this company, if I donít know what I should be doing by now itís too late.

When I switched from working full-time to part-time, my performance reviews became less formal. But in my last few years, they disappeared altogether which was fine with me. All I cared to know was what my raise and bonus would be.

Similarly, when I switched to part-time, I did not have to write any more performance reviews for others. That was even better than not getting any more written for me. I still had to provide feedback about subordinates to others writing their reviews, but that was fine, and I always had to do that. And I was free to write it any way I desired, as the actual reviewer would incsert it in some form into the actual performance review.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You must be single...
LOL! Now that is funny!
Old 10-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #40
gone traveling

Yup